Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
redwolf
udonmap.com

Re: Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Post by redwolf » August 12, 2014, 9:50 pm

Michael C wrote:
Treeg wrote:Image

Saw above snake(s) several times in our garden, about one meter long at most I would guess, somewhat grey color on top side but quite clear yellow or very light green on the sides (longitudal marking). Quite often they 'stand up' a little, lifting there head and part of their body above the grass.

They are active in daytime, so I presume they are not dangerous, I'll just keep out of their path and let them crawl along, they seem to live in the grass or bushes, at least never saw them climb.
Difficult to tell with the picture being blurry, but did it look like this snake that is very common, diurnal and moves quickly in our area?
This is Dendrelaphis pictus (Painted Bronzeback). It is rear fanged, but I have not even heard of minimal swelling associated with its bite, so it should be considered completely harmless. All the ones that I have come across were very keen on making a fast get away. Their favourite prey is frogs; I find them by listening to the screaming of the frogs they catch, like in the picture, it is eating a Fejervarya limnocharis (Rice Field Frog).
ok, good to know what this one is. found one just like it, albeit darker in color. Killed it anyhow upon finding it in a wood pile in our laundry room my Thai brother in law had just left a day before. I was removing the wood specifically to prevent snakes from going there. might be harmless but it fought a ruthless fight. Next time will be merciful & toss over the wall.

a few minutes later the neighbors guys and I found either a cobra or (brown) checkered keelback (didn't get a look at it's head though we tried) hiding just a few meters away in a patch of growth below a palm tree, but it made a quick escape while we searched out better weapons.

after the rains it's snake city around here. I've heard more than one Thai claim the superstition that if you kill one cobra, it's mate will come after you. hm.

One question, would a Keelback make a nest in soft dirt at the base of a tree?

I don't think a cobra would.

-just can't see how it gave us the slip across flat land, unless it went into an existing burrow under ground when we started to remove the plant growth.

RW

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Post by Earnest » August 16, 2014, 2:14 am

redwolf wrote:after the rains it's snake city around here.
Yeah, seen that a few times, snakes trying to get out of the rain.
redwolf wrote:I've heard more than one Thai claim the superstition that if you kill one cobra, it's mate will come after you. hm.
Karma.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Isaanman
Location: Next to that large bottle of Leo, Cheers or Chang beer

Post by Isaanman » August 18, 2014, 7:28 am

parrot, seen the news on that when I was here in 1971. The wife at that time, told me it was a taxi. Lady in the back seat felt something going across her shoulders. The cab pulled over, she got out and driver pull out the back seat. Nest of cobras. They ended up burning the taxi. BTW, was at Camp Friendship and Camp Samae San.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 11, 2014, 10:46 am

Just a little story. Some people think that snakes hate lemon grass. I don't believe that. I was walking around one of our ponds and was near a large clump of lemon grass. A huge snake reared up from the center of it. I backed up very fast and actually fell on my butt. I got up and found that I had gone in one direction and the snake went in the opposite direction and into the water. I saw him swimming to the other side of the pond. I really have no fear of snakes, just a lot of respect. That one scared the crap out of me. I don't know what kind it was but it was large and quite threatening.

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » November 16, 2014, 6:34 pm

Can you imagine what the snake thought when seeing you? :D

It is logical that a snake feels threatened by humans, as we all jump, run away, scream, shout or even try to kill it.
Most bites are accidental and only a defense of the snake in case people want to kill it, hit it but miss, then the snake attacks, what else can he do?

You did the right thing: fall back on your butt, so the snake has the chance to disappear, his preference =D>

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » December 20, 2014, 8:42 pm

does anybody know the emergency phone number from the "snake rescue team" in udon thani city?
i would just like to be prepared.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » December 20, 2014, 10:20 pm

Couple of weeks ago while cutting the grass, a snake slithered over my feel!
Dont seem to have any snake bite :yikes: :yikes:
Mai mee tahng !

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » May 14, 2015, 6:39 pm

My wife and I discovered this visitor in our storage shed. We live in the States for 39 years and we are not familuar with Asian snakes. Can any body tell us what kind of snake it is. We showed the locals and the only thing that they told us that it was not poison.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » May 14, 2015, 6:42 pm

My wife and I discovered this visitor in our storage shed today. Can any body tell us what kind of snake it is. We showed the locals and the only thing that they told us that it was not poison type.

[img][attachment=1]SNAKE-A.jpg[/attachment][/img]

[attachment=0]SNAKE-B.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
SNAKE-B.jpg
SNAKE-A.jpg
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » May 14, 2015, 6:51 pm

Looks like a Keelback or maybe a Kukri

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » May 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Had this beauty outside the neighbours house last night. The lab kept it at bay. Hissing a lot but eventually escaped down a drain before the snake catchers arrived.
Attachments
1431613124388.jpg
20150514_203349.jpg
1431613128613.jpg

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 15, 2015, 11:31 am

Take Care of Your Lab, Croc.....That looks like a " Spitting " Cobra to me.....

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » May 15, 2015, 12:12 pm

Isn't my lab 747. Its my neighbours dog. I kept my retrievers inside because your correct in saying its a spitting cobra. It spat once at the lab but I don't think it was her first time encountering a snake. She stayed back just enough!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

thecroc4 wrote:Isn't my lab 747. Its my neighbours dog. I kept my retrievers inside because your correct in saying its a spitting cobra. It spat once at the lab but I don't think it was her first time encountering a snake. She stayed back just enough!
Good, That's ONE Brave Doggy !!

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » May 31, 2015, 2:35 pm

good grief, cowboy LA at work. I especially found your remark about what a couple of liters of gas can do ( i imagine you burned the animal alive?) very interesting.
I live between the ricefields for three years, lots of snakes, all harmless. I catched a few with my 5 year old son and released them a few hunderd yards away. Some are banded and might be misstaken (by cowboys with too much imagination) for poisonous. But ven poisonous snakes don't bite unless you don't leave it alone, and if they are in your yard, have the decency to catch them and release them somewher else. THEY lived here first, if anyone, it is you who is the invader and not them.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » May 31, 2015, 3:24 pm

I must agree here. Just last week there was a snake with a frog in his throat!
I no way would kill it... why? the poor frog weren't too happy so I banged its head with a stick.
Put him out of pain. I have seen Thai's go out there way to kill a snake.
I had one slither over my foot recently. no problem.
Mai mee tahng !

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 31, 2015, 3:57 pm

Thai's may kill the snake but then cook it and eat it.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 31, 2015, 4:04 pm

don't kill the snakes - call the udon rescue 28!
they will come to your place, catch the snake and resettle it.
not only such big ones as follows....

Udon Sawangmetha Foundation
Rescue 28
Phone 042 245 463

10923582_339596762906128_917065022519654998_n.jpg
10933956_339596799572791_8815512259632328812_n.jpg
10929246_339596786239459_1174068831428477490_n.jpg

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 31, 2015, 4:08 pm

Another beauty captured by the foundation last november near bobae mart.
10377989_313544508844687_8194749204160673513_n.jpg

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » May 31, 2015, 7:53 pm

chopperjoey wrote:good grief, cowboy LA at work. I especially found your remark about what a couple of liters of gas can do ( i imagine you burned the animal alive?) very interesting.
I live between the ricefields for three years, lots of snakes, all harmless. I catched a few with my 5 year old son and released them a few hunderd yards away. Some are banded and might be misstaken (by cowboys with too much imagination) for poisonous. But ven poisonous snakes don't bite unless you don't leave it alone, and if they are in your yard, have the decency to catch them and release them somewher else. THEY lived here first, if anyone, it is you who is the invader and not them.
This beauty did not behave aggressively even it was moved several times to better position, place and restricted to escape. To be honest, I stayed about one meter away from it, even I did know that Banded Krait is very slow during daytime/early evening. Today I did see only one Tree Snake. It was quite long -not banded like this.

I believe that this snake is a new around our living area. Previous Krait I did seen nearby Loei. Did only know that aroud Udon are several Kraits. Just waiting what our cobras think about it.

Ps. Cowboys could live longer, if mix Tree Snake to Green Pit Viper. Doing other way could shorten life.
Attachments
banded.jpg

Return to “Notice Board”