Flooding in Udon Thani today

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 16, 2014, 1:02 pm

3 hours of heavy rain have led to flooding in several parts of Udon,earlier this morning,with several sois becoming impassable.
Amongst the areas affected were Nonsamrong, the ring road near Tesco Lotus,Nong Sim,Ban Hoy and Phosi road.
Floods are receding now but drivers have been asked to still take care,especially with more rain forecast later.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 16, 2014, 1:21 pm

Zidane wrote:3 hours of heavy rain have led to flooding in several parts of Udon,earlier this morning,with several sois becoming impassable.
Amongst the areas affected were Nonsamrong, the ring road near Tesco Lotus,Nong Sim,Ban Hoy and Phosi road.
Floods are receding now but drivers have been asked to still take care,especially with more rain forecast later.

That's a funny one, thia drivers taking care.

How do they pass these messages on in Udon for trouble hot spots? Serious question.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 16, 2014, 1:26 pm

We saw lots of coverage of the Udon Thani flooding on the Bangkok TV channel 3 this morning.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 16, 2014, 1:29 pm

Barney wrote:How do they pass these messages on in Udon for trouble hot spots? Serious question.
Word by mouth. And its fast. Seriously.

OT................. \:D/

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 16, 2014, 1:34 pm

old-timer wrote:
Barney wrote:How do they pass these messages on in Udon for trouble hot spots? Serious question.
Word by mouth. And its fast. Seriously.

OT................. \:D/
Thanks old-timer
fastest methods

telegram, telegraph, telephone and telawoman

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 16, 2014, 2:55 pm

The weapon of choice for most people with smartphones is either LINE or Facebook. It's also the way many people find out about police checkpoints. That's probably why you see so many people, including motorcyclists with a phone in their hand.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 17, 2014, 2:58 am

parrot wrote:The weapon of choice for most people with smartphones is either LINE or Facebook. It's also the way many people find out about police checkpoints. That's probably why you see so many people, including motorcyclists with a phone in their hand.
And exactly the reason the new RE-INFORCED NO PHONE WHILST DRIVING LAWS ......are now being noted (well done the army big cheese ),, LINE WTF is life really that hectic ...great for business tho !
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 20, 2014, 7:12 pm

For anyone thinking of raising the white flag on further rain, you might want to think again.......According to one report, the levels in reservoirs feeding the city are as follows, as of 19 Aug:
Banjan 70%
Sam Phat 51%
Huai Luang 25%

วันที่ 19 สิงหาคม 2557 ตรวจสอบน้ำในอ่างเก็บน้ำหลักของ จ.อุดรธานี อ่างบ้านจั่น 70 เปอร์เซนต์ , อ่างฯห้วยสามพาด 51 เปอร์เซนต์ , หนองหานกุมภวาปี (เรียงลำดับตามภาพ) ส่วนอ่างฯห้วยหลวงมีเพียง 25 เปอร์เซนต์...อุดรธานีฝนตกไม่ทั่วฟ้า

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 20, 2014, 7:24 pm

The Huai Luang figure is indeed disconcerting. Seems that reservoir has steadily decreased in stored volume the past several years.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 22, 2014, 8:25 am

We arrived back from BKK Wednesday afternoon at about 17:00 hours. It began raining at that time. Since then (the past day and a half) we've had 8.89 cm (3.5 inches of rain) here in Ban Jan. Hopefully we can get something like that on a weekly basis until the dry season sets in. Would really like to see the reservoirs fill up.

I'm wondering in the increased water usage here in Udon due to construction and development is taking so much water from Huai Luang that it cannot recover as quickly as it did in times past.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » August 22, 2014, 9:32 am

We have "village water" and last year we didn`t have any water for about 3 months (May-August), but we haven`t been cut off at all this year, so it looks like there`s more water somewhere this year compared to last. :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » August 22, 2014, 12:01 pm

I'm wondering in the increased water usage here in Udon due to construction and development is taking so much water from Huai Luang that it cannot recover as quickly as it did in times past.
I think that is a fair assessment.
Remember, there is a price to pay for all this unneeded (IMO), stuff we keep getting for the "new and improved" Udon.
So, the next time one feels the desire to ooh and aah and gush about yet another unneeded new home improvement center, IT center, housing estate, etc... Think about this: no unlimited amounts of water anymore, or water rationing.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 22, 2014, 12:34 pm

At least we haven't reached the stage of Police helecopters flying overhead to spot lawns that are GREEN not brown in peoples gardens as they did in SE England a few years ago :shock:

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » August 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

Truck loads of land fill before building must contribute to flooding of the surrounding land that hasn't been filled in.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » August 22, 2014, 5:36 pm

It would help if the drains were regularly cleaned and flushed through, just have a look in one and you will see that its capacity is down to about 10% due to sediment and rubbish, just also look at the new ones on the new ringroad section already half full of dirt, not even cleaned out at installation, not a chance of ever carrying their full capacity of water flow.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 23, 2014, 4:31 am

On Huai Luang dam.. Remember, last year was not a good rainy season. Based on a nearby village pond excavation on the east side it appeared to me the water table was nearly 5 meters deeper than normal. I've seen that pond start to fill back up although it doesn't have any significant drainage into it.. If it gets full by the end of the rainy season I'd reckon the water table is recharged.. I'm sure the same problem with low water tables applies to Huai Luang too..
Dave

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » August 28, 2014, 2:14 am

What an absolute shower tonight :D ,hope the reservoir was in its path [-o<
Every little helps 8)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 28, 2014, 7:38 am

Judging by the small dips in my garden taking ever so much longer to drain ( so that I can cut the graa), I must therefore assume that the underground water table is topping up nicely, which therefore also m,eans that water will start flowing into the dams more readily. My well is full , my garden is floating in some parts all si well apart from the Roayl irrigation dept forward planning on dam retention, by letting more go then normal to counter the rain. Logical thinking is not a strong suit in Thai Govt Agencies is it !!

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 5, 2014, 4:08 am

Looks like plenty more to come,have they solved the flooding in Udon since the last one a few days ago :-k
http://www.tmd.go.th/en/region.php?RegionID=2

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 5, 2014, 7:51 am

After last night's heavy rain (still continuing ), does anyone know the road conditions (driving/flooding) between Nong Khai - Udon Thani - Loie this morning?

Return to “Udon Thani News”