Culture Shock - USA on Thai

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 24, 2014, 8:57 pm

Our long-time neighbors, one a retired Thai military officer, his wife a retired teacher, recently returned from a 17-state 38 day first-ever trip to the USA. The man's brother has lived in the US (Seattle) for 30+ years and invited them over.
Their tour of 17 states was done in a rented van, with all sleeping done either in tents or small cabins, mostly at state/national parks along western part of the US. As both our neighbors are in their 60's, roughing it didn't come easy. But they did get to see some of the grand natural beauty that blesses that part of the US and they did enjoy their vacation....with the caveat......never again!
Today, we had them over for BBQ with a few friends. The couple started talking about some of the laughable moments from their visit.......like needing to drop quarters into a shower at a campsite. And how on one occasion, trying to be a CC and only bringing two quarters to the shower, the water ran out before the soap washed off. And on their final night at that campsite, the husband and his wife showered together to save a few coins.
Our kitchen was like a hyena den....the laughter was ear splitting!
Then the story of going to a bathroom and searching for the flush handle. Figuring it must be an American-sort of thing, he looked left, right, left again, right again, then on the side of the seat....until he finally got up to walk out and the toilet flushed automatically.
Then the story of camping at Yosemite........it was chilly and the group wanted to start a fire. The brother from the US said he'd go buy some firewood nearby.....but our neighbor decided to be a nice guy and come back with a handful of firewood.....a nearby fallen tree......and he almost made it back to the campsite before being stopped by a ranger. The fine was around $300..........but turned into a warning, I guess when the ranger figured our neighbor really didn't understand the laws of the park.
Listening to their stories reminded me of a Thai movie my wife and I saw in NKP some 42 years ago....a couple of rice farmers head off to Bangkok for some reason. Their first night, staying in some sort of small hotel, the wife tells the husband to extinguish the light....at which the husband proceeds to try to blow the light out. I doubt I've ever been in a movie theater that erupted in such a burst of laughter.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 25, 2014, 7:02 am

Funny stuff. I suspect they had quite a lot of "interesting" experiences. I've never heard of the quarter showers before. I've fed quarters to the car wash machine but never for a shower. It was bad enough trying to get the car rinsed off before the metered time ran out.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 25, 2014, 10:30 am

maybe they were in the carwash, and still think it was the showers..

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » August 25, 2014, 10:37 am

I've seen pay showers only a couple of times, I believe they were in national parks, but I don't remember exactly.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » August 25, 2014, 10:42 am

Reminds me of an experience I had, I was camping in Muir Woods National Monument, in a tent. We woke up in the morning and found a small motor home parked next to us, in our campsite! Turns out it was rented by a few Pakistani college students. They'd pulled in at night, and had no concept of a private campsite, or personal space. They were very nice, and we all had a good laugh and got on well. They had never been camping before, I guess we felt a little sorry their confusion. :?

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 25, 2014, 11:11 am

I'd think that camping trips during your first and only visit to the U.S. could be a bit intimidating. Various campgrounds may have different procedures and rules and can sometimes be confusing even for the natives. I have three sons who are Eagle Scouts, so we've done our share of camping in all kinds of areas and conditions. Many of our early vacations were camping trips simply because that was the cheapest way for a young family of five to travel.

One thing for sure; the Thai couple got a nice feel for the U.S.A. that I venture to say many Americans have not even experienced. I'm sure they saw some beautiful country in the western states and have some nice memories.

Now, my idea of "roughing it" is a 28 inch TV in the room.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 25, 2014, 5:32 pm

In the UK you used to get 'pay-as-you-go' showers at campsites, but seem to have disappeared these days - probably because the campsite fees are so extortionate - last time i camped it cost £28 for one night for a small tent .....

Return to “Society and culture”