Idea for a Business!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
milkman
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by milkman » September 8, 2014, 8:39 pm

Guys, I have an idea for a business. I'd do it myself, except I just live here part of each year. Plus I'm lazy.

They say the way to be successful in life is to "find a need and fill it." Well, my idea is for a business hiring out temp maids and handmen. Why do I think this is needed? Because I myself often need a handyman, and can't find one. Right now we want to install a camera at our house, and don't have anyone to do it. One of our lights above the porch has so many bugs you can't hardly see the light anymore- it needs to be cleaned! And we've gone years without getting the windows washed. Why? Nobody to do them and, as I said, I'm too lazy. We also need the place cleaned. My wife's mom's getting older and letting things slip. But we don't have a maid. Oh, almost forget, yesterday, our nephew started a motorcycle- in 2nd gear- and crashed into our gate, so that needs to be repaired. Now if just one guy in Udon has all these unmet needs, I imagine there must be thousands of jobs that need doing.

So how about it somebody? Instead of opening up yet another bar, what about a handman/ temp maid service? This business is popular in America, and I bet it would be here too.

Udon Map
Admin

Idea for a Business!

Post by Udon Map » September 8, 2014, 8:51 pm

milkman wrote:Now if just one guy in Udon has all these unmet needs, ...
... I'd say that he's having a terrible run of bad luck!!

old-timer
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by old-timer » September 8, 2014, 8:52 pm

milkman wrote:Guys, I have an idea for a business. I'd do it myself, except I just live here part of each year. Plus I'm lazy.

They say the way to be successful in life is to "find a need and fill it." Well, my idea is for a business hiring out temp maids and handmen. Why do I think this is needed? Because I myself often need a handyman, and can't find one. Right now we want to install a camera at our house, and don't have anyone to do it. One of our lights above the porch has so many bugs you can't hardly see the light anymore- it needs to be cleaned! And we've gone years without getting the windows washed. Why? Nobody to do them and, as I said, I'm too lazy. We also need the place cleaned. My wife's mom's getting older and letting things slip. But we don't have a maid. Oh, almost forget, yesterday, our nephew started a motorcycle- in 2nd gear- and crashed into our gate, so that needs to be repaired. Now if just one guy in Udon has all these unmet needs, I imagine there must be thousands of jobs that need doing.

So how about it somebody? Instead of opening up yet another bar, what about a handman/ temp maid service? This business is popular in America, and I bet it would be here too.
Certainly sounds like a good idea, much better idea than forking out loads on a bar without knowledge or a business plan.
What would it take to start? tools, equipment, a van, call center from home, and then just hire the people (trusted and experienced) when the work comes up. A work permit would be a must as letting the wife handle the calls just wouldn't work.

OT................... \:D/

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by semperfiguy » September 8, 2014, 9:02 pm

You're absolutely right Milkman...there is a tremendous need for that sort of service. I personally am looking for someone to paint my steel fence in the front of my home and clean all the windows and security grills outside of my home. I can imagine that as an entrepreneur the greatest challenge would be to find reliable help that would hang around for more than a few weeks...and show up at the job site on time. It would be a cash business, so the help would steal the owner blind and not report earnings properly. Then there's the question of being a bondable workman who would be liability free on the job and not steal from the homeowner. I can think of a dozen other reasons why it would not be a feasible idea in Thailand, but I think you get my drift!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by SkyyWalker » September 8, 2014, 9:17 pm

In the sense that there is a tremendous need for these services, I think it's a fantastic idea! =D> However, I can't see it working for the same reason that the need exists. Where are you going to find a group of honest, reliable, loyal, hard-working experienced employees? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it's highly unlikely. This is the issue that has been the downfall (in some cases murder) of most failed, foreigner-financed businesses that go 6 feet under in a heartbeat around here. Also, picking the wrong bitch :-$ to partner with doesn't help much, either.

Again, great idea...good luck making it happen.

milkman
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by milkman » September 8, 2014, 9:24 pm

I don't agree semperfiguy and SkyyWalker. I had a tremendous builder whose workers showed up every day, didn't steal, and did a quality job. House is still in great shape 8 years later, and I hear the same workers are still on the job.

Perhaps one way to go would be for the wife to be the temp maid! My wife wouldn't like that idea, but maybe lots of wives would love the job. Or if there are people in someone's Thai family who need a job, they could be the maid/ handiman and making a success of the business would be good for everyone. With such a big need, hell, somebody ought to figure out how to do it!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by fatbob » September 8, 2014, 9:25 pm

Its a great idea but it will never work, most of the expats in Udon are to tight. You set up a company, you have company costs to set up, monthly and yearly accountant audits and taxes, work permit and visa costs, vehicle purchase and running costs, tools and equipment, at this stage we are now at a break even rate of about 1500 baht per day per worker, Johnny from England will then post that he can get someone great for 300 baht per day and Eric from new Zealand will want his phone number,we haven't even started on social security and redundancy payments that increase on time served as per labour laws in Thailand, better to make your money at home and stay away from the stress when in Thailand.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by SkyyWalker » September 8, 2014, 9:51 pm

I'd like to add one more thing, bringer of milk. I believe it's essential to ensure that what ever financial risk you take in Thailand - business, land, house, DOWRY, whatever - that if ---- goes south, you're still able to meet your daily needs, have money in the bank, the ability to go back home if needed, still drawing breath =D> etc. etc.. I don't mean to sound patronizing, but I do feel it's sage advice that I constantly need to be reminded of.

If you do go ahead with your idea, I suppose whatever outcome occurs will be a beneficial life experience for you as long as you have a warrior's attitude. As a person who's been through 10 years of sheet like this, I wish you massive success if you dare to fly Where Eagles Dare! Rock on & keep us updated. \:D/

Anyway, I can't work this forum very well (I must not have a permit yet). I was trying to insert the following link into the "Where Eagles Dare" part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6LuhuSCwUg

Barney
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by Barney » September 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

milkman wrote:Guys, I have an idea for a business. I'd do it myself, except I just live here part of each year. Plus I'm lazy.

Wow laziness certainly is the word. Can understand the technical tasks being difficult and requiring assistance, but, washing windows, cleaning bugs out of lights, wife to lazy to clean the house, nephew should be fixing the bike or gate whichever is broken?
And you want someone else to start a business to help you? Would you be up at 7am to let the workers in the front door to start? :D

davidmac00
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by davidmac00 » September 9, 2014, 3:32 pm

I think this could work, actually can't see why it wouldn't if you are smart about it.

It wouldn't be my idea of fun, but if set up with a system in place where it's totally in your wifes name and payments are taken "in office" rather than by staff, there wouldn't be a need for work permit.

But, who are your customers? Thais or farangs? Gated communities or anywhere? Do they want this service?

Easy to find out, put out some ads to you friends/ family/ acquaintances offering the service first and get at least 3 sales to validate the idea, then find the staff. If you can't get 3 sales from folk you know it's not going to be easier with folk you don't know.

Dokya
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by Dokya » September 9, 2014, 3:46 pm

I tried it with minor building, general maintenance, landscape gardening etc... general donkey work with someone with a mediocre of intelligence supervising and overseeing....unfortunately didn't work due to reasons mentioned.

Try keeping them around at rice planting/picking season.....bloody nightmare. Plus they don't like to listen to our logic and inevitably revert to their own tried and tested methods regardless.

milkman
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by milkman » September 9, 2014, 7:45 pm

Okay guys, we all agree there is a need in Udon for a temp maid service and a handyman service. Now instead of sharing all the reasons it CAN'T work, how about if somebody comes up with some ways it CAN work!

A friend I'll call "M" told me if one of our Thai wives started a referral service, where orders came in and she called freelance workers to do a cleaning job here, a painting job there, that might work. Any thoughts?

the-monk
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by the-monk » September 9, 2014, 9:18 pm

How about starting with a HOME PRODUCT Food stall selling at places such as the WALKING STREET
on Fridays and Saturdays, this slow approach would allow time to develop and improve your UNIQUE HOME MADE FARANG product and then if successful expand to other areas such as local markets...

The investment would be minimal, your time and the ingredients, electricity or gas for cooking.
The only question is : What product ( home cooking or others ) would appeal to Thai s taste at a reasonable price ?
Of course it has to be something that is currently not available. Any suggestions.

davidmac00
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by davidmac00 » September 9, 2014, 9:55 pm

milkman wrote:Okay guys, we all agree there is a need in Udon for a temp maid service and a handyman service. Now instead of sharing all the reasons it CAN'T work, how about if somebody comes up with some ways it CAN work!

A friend I'll call "M" told me if one of our Thai wives started a referral service, where orders came in and she called freelance workers to do a cleaning job here, a painting job there, that might work. Any thoughts?
Milkman, if you look 2 posts up from yours I think you'll find I have answered "how" to start this biz.

It's not a hard business to start, in fact it would have to be one of the easiest you could think of. So, just get out there and ask people to pay you for this service and when you have at least 3 payments you get someone to fulfil the tasks at hand, pay staff for work done, rinse and repeat.

Once you have too many jobs for the current staff, recruit more and scale up accordingly, deal done, money in the bank =D>

Like almost all biz ops it can be done, but over thinking the project won't get it done. Get out there and get sales, that's the only way any biz works.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by fatbob » September 10, 2014, 7:30 am

I have seen a lot of maintenance company's come and go in Phuket run by westerners, they all failed, every one of them you must understand if you have no jobs you still have to pay your workers daily and all running costs, give it a go, goodluck.

milkman
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by milkman » September 10, 2014, 10:22 am

I made my living in publishing, a business full of failure and misery and rejection. When I hit on the book idea that made my fortune- and sold almost a million copies- my own mother told me not to do it. "If it was such a good idea someone else would have done it," she said. "Ma," I answered, "if I had that attitude, I'd never do anything!" Because if somebody had already done it, there'd be no possibility to do it. And if nobody had already done it, I was to assume it must be a bad idea!

I feel like that reading many of your responses. There are thousands of ongoing businesses in Udon. Surely two more- a temp maid service and a handyman service- can join them as viable businesses. But hearing all the reasons they can't work doesn't really help anything.

That said, I'm not looking to start this business myself. As I wrote in my initial remarks, I'm only a part-timer in Udon. Plus I'm too lazy. No, I want one of YOU boys out there to start this business, and I want to be your CUSTOMER.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by fatbob » September 10, 2014, 10:28 am

milkman wrote:That said, I'm not looking to start this business myself. As I wrote in my initial remarks, I'm only a part-timer in Udon. Plus I'm too lazy. No, I want one of YOU boys out there to start this business, and I want to be your CUSTOMER.
And how much are you or anyone on this forum prepared to pay per day per worker?

old-timer
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by old-timer » September 10, 2014, 11:32 am

I still think it's a good idea even after reading the perils to expect in attempting such a business mentioned by other posters.
The jobs taken on by your handymen would have to be on a price per job rather than per day to make any money. If you could get 3 or 4 small jobs daily at 300 baht plus call out charge of B50 and paid your handyman B500 per day you are making money. Have 10 handymen doing this and you are making a living here in Udon. Like any business there are start up costs and I would keep that completely separate so you don't wake up every morning thinking you have to earn x amount before you break even. Treat the start up costs as the investment which has a cash in value if need be.
Getting the volume of work to make it worthwhile would take considerable effort but not impossible, I think repeat business would be a regular thing from satisfied customers.

OT....................... \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by stattointhailand » September 10, 2014, 2:48 pm

I suspect that with your example OT you are not going to keep your staff very long .....

3 jobs a day would be only one or two per week for each of your 10 staff :-k
not too many will be able to live on B500 a week so will be "too busy" with other jobs when you need them.
If you start to tell your customers you will try to get someone there in a few days you a'int gonna have too many customers for too long. =;

maaka
udonmap.com

Idea for a Business!

Post by maaka » September 10, 2014, 3:00 pm

I would be willing to pay 1000bt per day for an excellent bloke who knew his stuff, an ex tradesman who did a great job, and who turned up on the dot.7.30am - 5.00pm..whether it be spouting, tiling, cabinet making, painting,

Return to “Open Forum”