International Schools Udonthani feedback

General Udon Thani topics only!
grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 23, 2014, 6:10 pm

I know there have been a few posts in the past regarding the best place to educate children in Udonthani however I'd appreciate if anyone has up to date feedback on the international or semi international schools.

UDIS- I haven't had any experience with them apart from what I've seen online. I know they are quite expensive however I'd like some feedback from parents who have their children enrolled with them.

Paramin- I've had some experience with this school and found them to be quite good. At the time my children attended they were predominantly teaching in thai with a little english. Looking at their website, which is in thai script, the english component of the curriculum hasn't increased. If anyone has children at Paramin I'd like to know your thoughts and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken in what I've said above.

Patana Panya- Visited there when we moved to Udon a few years back and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. My wife watched one of the children be pinched on the ear by a school worker so that was the end of that.

I'm not having a go at any of these schools and are considering enrolling my children with all of them in November however these are my limited experiences and would like know from other's experiences.

Standard of education, english content, costs etc etc

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » September 24, 2014, 5:27 am

This is not much of an answer to the questions, though is something of an update on UDIS. Coincidentally last weekend I drove into UDIS to check the progress, the new building not complete though from appearances the facility itself will be very nice. The tennis court and football field looked in very good condition.

Seeing this thread, today I checked the UDIS website and clicked around, apparently they are for now operating in the original buildings, and on their website and facebook pages one can see teachers, a few students, a healthy looking lunch with broccoli etc. I'd like to visit again on a school day, and also to hear early feedback from parents who have children attending.

http://www.udoninternationalschool.com/ ... hool-news/

https://www.facebook.com/udinterschool

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 24, 2014, 8:23 pm

Thank's for the feedback RCT any information is appreciated. I'll be able to visit myself in a few weeks.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 25, 2014, 7:32 am

Like any educational establishment, talking the talk is good but results will speak far more than BS. Education is NOT about how much you pay but the quality of the teacher. I know many teachers some are good some are not but it is when you see the children's reaction to them, you then know who is the better one.

Children are a far better indicator of a good teacher than any BS .
So I;D WAIT AND SEE. BUT THEN I AM OLD AND CROTCHETY, BUT I SPEAK FROM THE HEART.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » September 25, 2014, 8:02 am

Must be good. Cost more per term for preschool then it does for Khon Khen University.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 25, 2014, 6:39 pm

My reason for wanting feedback on international schools is because both my children have grown up in Australia and only understand a little thai. I'm sure that there would be better value for money schools around but for the time being I require an english speaking school. Things may change if and when their thai improves.
I have seen from Paramin and UDIS face books pictures a few expat parents and hoped to get some feedback from them.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 26, 2014, 8:15 am

Grevious, be careful, with some of what I would call the "pseudo" International schools over here, because they are teaching mainly Thai students, all the supportive chit chat and explanations are in Thai language, even though the lessons are taught in English language by foreign teachers.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » September 26, 2014, 1:10 pm

IMO from my experience of dealing with the school system in Thailand,Bangkok and here, for the last 17 years,if you emerge your children in any public or private school where Thai is the predominant language and the curriculum is set by the Thai government,their education will be lacking in skills and knowledge gained compared to a system where English is the predominant language and the majority of students and teachers are native English speakers!

Bangkok and Chiang Mai have the only International schools that meet these standards that I am aware of!

I do know some children that have been online home schooled with great success!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 27, 2014, 9:58 am

G'day Grevious,

My girl goes to UDIS and it is very good. How old are your kids? UDIS at this stage are only teaching up to grade 3/4 british curriculum. Older classes will be in the future.
School will move to the new into premises soon enough with but it does not affect the teaching at the moment. School speaks English and teaches chinese and thai in designated lessons.
My girl is in grade 3 and loves it. The difference I can see in her from the last 2 or 3 years in the village school system is chalk and cheese. She comes home and wants to speak English with me and check her homework and day lessons. Her male teacher is very proactive and even after just 1 month has her on a path for improvement. She has Internet access to maths and spelling courses. Online challenges with other students internationally. Class webpage etc.
Barney

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 27, 2014, 8:11 pm

Hi Barney thank you for your review of UDIS. I've been waiting to hear from a parent that has a child at one of the schools I mentioned so I could get an informed opinion.
I'm glad to hear UDIS is doing well and will be visiting them around the 14th of November when we return to Udon.
My son turned eight in July and daughter seven in June and are currently completing grade two in Australia.

steadyjohn
udonmap.com

Post by steadyjohn » September 27, 2014, 8:27 pm

Grievous,

My daughter came back to Thailand in June 2013 only understanding a little Thai after spending the last 4 years in Ireland and Belgium.

She did both terms of KG3 at Paramin in 2013/4.
I was away working and my wife wanted something a little closer, so she started Por. 1 in Pattna Payna, which was a mistake. She left after a couple of weeks and returned to Paramin. She is very happy at Paramin and her Thai speaking is now nearly as good as the other kids. Her reading and writing test scores are at the same level of her Thai classmates. It is still difficult for her times in subjects like maths, were it is all explained in Thai. I think by the end on Por.1 in February, she will be at the same level as the other kids.

How old are your kids?

Johnny

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 27, 2014, 9:24 pm

Hi Johnny my kids are seven & eights years old. Our children attended Paramin School when they were three & four for around six months before returning to Aus. We were quite happy with the school are considering it along with UDIS.
Hearing your story of how your daughter is picking up Thai so well is making me think twice about Paramin.
Thanks for passing on your experience it's going to help our decision making a lot.

cheers

Jason

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 28, 2014, 7:59 am

grievous wrote:Hi Barney thank you for your review of UDIS. I've been waiting to hear from a parent that has a child at one of the schools I mentioned so I could get an informed opinion.
I'm glad to hear UDIS is doing well and will be visiting them around the 14th of November when we return to Udon.
My son turned eight in July and daughter seven in June and are currently completing grade two in Australia.

Jason,
I'll be back around udon 14th Nov on my R&R so give me a buzz if you would like a beer and any help on the school front.
I met you neighbor Wazza just before I left for the aussie night. Slightly ugly look in the mirror next morning.
I see your from karratha, spent a lot of time up there building all those woodside facilties. Last there on the Pluto LNG tanks looking after the E/I.
my phone when you arrive 0808031955

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 28, 2014, 10:03 am

Don't know anything about UDIS itself, but I have gotten to know one of the teachers fairly well. He's from America, new to Udon Thani, has a Thai wife, and three kids aged about 5 to 12. They live nearby because they wanted to take part in the many activities around Nong Prajak. He and his family come to our place often. The kids I can tell you are very well mannered and speak beautiful English. We've had many discussions about education in Thailand. He is very conscientious and really cares about his student's progress.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Thanks for all the feedback it is all helpful.

peelieorion

Post by peelieorion » September 6, 2015, 1:50 pm

Although I am not based in Udon, I have tutored 2 students from grade 3 at Udon Thani International school. Although they could speak a little, their reading skills were non existent. This is a real worry as in my Mini E.P in Nongkhai, almost half the Grade 2 kids can read well. I did try to apply for a job in the school being Western qualified and having 20 years of teaching experience. However, they declined my offer to meet them informally or to show me round the school. the facilities look amazing but I would urge all potential parents to visit these schools unannounced on a Monday morning and judge the quality of teaching and learning for yourself.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 6, 2015, 4:16 pm

There's a new international school being built on the corner of Hwy 2 and Hwy 2021, across the street from the Kalasin restaurant and near the Nakhaburi Resort.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 6, 2015, 4:54 pm

peelieorion wrote:Although I am not based in Udon, I have tutored 2 students from grade 3 at Udon Thani International school. Although they could speak a little, their reading skills were non existent. This is a real worry as in my Mini E.P in Nongkhai, almost half the Grade 2 kids can read well. I did try to apply for a job in the school being Western qualified and having 20 years of teaching experience. However, they declined my offer to meet them informally or to show me round the school. the facilities look amazing but I would urge all potential parents to visit these schools unannounced on a Monday morning and judge the quality of teaching and learning for yourself.
Which school are you talking about.
You say you tutored 2 students at Udon Thani International School.
You then say you applied for a job but your offer was declined to meet them or show you around the school (Which School).
You say the facilities were amazing but you also say they declined to show you around the school???
At which school did you apply for the job Udon International or a School in Nongkhai.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 6, 2015, 6:04 pm

pal52 wrote:
peelieorion wrote:Although I am not based in Udon, I have tutored 2 students from grade 3 at Udon Thani International school. Although they could speak a little, their reading skills were non existent. This is a real worry as in my Mini E.P in Nongkhai, almost half the Grade 2 kids can read well. I did try to apply for a job in the school being Western qualified and having 20 years of teaching experience. However, they declined my offer to meet them informally or to show me round the school. the facilities look amazing but I would urge all potential parents to visit these schools unannounced on a Monday morning and judge the quality of teaching and learning for yourself.
Which school are you talking about.
You say you tutored 2 students at Udon Thani International School.
You then say you applied for a job but your offer was declined to meet them or show you around the school (Which School).
You say the facilities were amazing but you also say they declined to show you around the school???
At which school did you apply for the job Udon International or a School in Nongkhai.
Hint, hint...
This is a real worry as in my Mini E.P in Nongkhai, almost half the Grade 2 kids can read well.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » September 6, 2015, 6:14 pm

> Although I am not based in Udon, I have tutored 2 students from grade 3 at Udon Thani International school.

Just exchange 'at' with 'of', then most probably it meets what he wanted to say. Well, that post is from a teacher, so never expect 100% correct statements... :mrgreen:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”