Identification wristbands

General Udon Thani topics only!
downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » October 1, 2014, 8:25 am

IDENTIFICATION WRISTBANDS FOR TOURISTS

Thailand's tourism minister said on Tuesday that identification wristbands would be distributed to tourists following the murder of two British backpackers earlier this month that has raised fresh concerns over tourist safety.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists that get lost or into trouble.

See Also
Thailand travel guide

"When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their ID and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they're out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted," Kobkarn said.

A tourist police talks to tourists as they arrive by boat to the island of Koh Tao.
A tourist police talks to tourists as they arrive by boat to the island of Koh Tao. Photo: Reuters

"The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail."

She added that a "buddy system", pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

The bodies of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were found on a beach on the southern island of Koh Tao, or Turtle Island, on September 15.

Kobkarn admitted the wristband idea has already met with some resistance. "Most people welcome the idea but some hotels are concerned that tourists may not want to wear the wristbands."

Limiting party hours on some of Thailand's islands and imposing restrictions over where beach parties can be held were also being considered, said Kobkarn. The idea is unlikely to go down well with hoards of young backbackers who travel to Thailand each year in search of sun, sea and a good time.

Authorities have expressed concern over the murders' impact on tourism, which accounts for nearly 10 per cent of GDP.

Thailand is still under martial law after a May 22 coup, something that has made many tourists think twice about travelling to the country.

The industry has yet to recover from a slump in visitors due to months of sometimes violent street protests that left nearly 30 people dead. Tourists arriving in Thailand fell 11.9 per cent in August from a year earlier after a 10.9 per cent drop in July.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » October 1, 2014, 9:35 am

Didn't they try that some time ago but with a number tattooed on the forearm! :-"

bamboozle
udonmap.com

Post by bamboozle » October 1, 2014, 9:54 am

Wouldn't anybody who murdered somebody remove the wristband?

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Identification wristbands

Post by JoeThrows » October 1, 2014, 10:01 am

"Authorities express concern over the murders impact on tourism..."

Because that is clearly all that matters

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 1, 2014, 11:32 am

http://www.therakyatpost.com/world/2014 ... -tourists/

Now that would be the vacation of life time second only to a tour of a combat zone.

What are they smoking they need to share. :shock: :D

Yes indeed that would make place look real attractive. I would give a skip to the Cartel area of Mexico as well.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » October 1, 2014, 11:43 am

Do you think they should make the wristbands glow in the dark?
safe_image-001.jpg

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 1, 2014, 11:56 am

And glow red when a tourist is looking for some rumpty humpty?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 1, 2014, 1:11 pm

Sounds like a great idea, just wander round the streets find a farang in the gutter, nick the armband and it tells you which hotel that "room 107" key in his pocket belongs to :confused:

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » October 1, 2014, 1:32 pm

Some wag is already onto the new design (via twitter)
Attachments
ByxAR05IIAAAtZw.jpg
Watch Me!!

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 1, 2014, 2:30 pm

That is the work of a genius.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Identification wristbands

Post by JoeThrows » October 1, 2014, 5:51 pm

This is the same country that considered forcing everyone out of their vehicles for the afternoon anthem. The bill's sponsor said "you're going to be stuck in traffic anyway..."

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 1, 2014, 6:34 pm

I like it, free Jewelry :D

msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » October 1, 2014, 11:43 pm

I'm still waiting for the usual "I have been misinterpreted or misquoted" message. :confused: :confused:
One can only hope that someone reponsible wake up one day [-o<

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » October 2, 2014, 7:09 am

i thinks in the interest of security the bands should not be seen publicly.

therefor the ball bags should be place of choice upon entry. :fryingpan: :fryingpan: :fryingpan:
temptation is a .....

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 2, 2014, 6:05 pm

The only response I cam make is that Thailand wants to destroy its tourist industry. What with the 12 pm closing time, the expulsion of a democratically elected country, Voldemort in the background and now this, I am strongly suggesting that my tourist friends avoid Thailand and go elsewhere.

msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » October 3, 2014, 1:30 am

Today this story hit the front page of the web version of the Danish tabloid Ekstrabladet(.dk). As you can guess it was made laughing stock. :confused: It was brought together with a story of a Danish girl being raped in Na Jomtien (read: Pattaya) and the rape and murder on Koh Tao. :pirate:

So I have spendt half day explaining my friends and family why I love stay in Udon Thani. [-X :-" 8-[

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”