Farrang Market?

All the latest happenings with the udonmap.com sponsors
BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 28, 2005, 11:18 pm

That hotel looks absolutely stunning Jimbo, not cheap though.

Sounds like a great idea about the winery visit imho.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 28, 2005, 11:56 pm

Sounds like a good roadtrip to me. I'm game shortly upon arrival.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 29, 2005, 5:48 am

Loei area is the best place to get vegtables / fruit / flowers / plants:!:

Tomatoes taste like real tomatoes!

pineapple is sweet. (someone will tell you that, and you will say to yourself, ya right, but it is true!)

My teacher landlady, seems to be going to the same places that we go around the same time, she must be an admin. But anyways, we did not stop at winery, but she did and gave us a bottle when she returned. :cry:

8)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 29, 2005, 1:23 pm

Had a tour of the Chateau De Loei vineyard,quite a size but at the end you go for a wine tasting and,well,the wine's a little rough and six hundred Baht a bottle.Huge tax on wines here.You can pop over to Laos and get good French wine for 150 Baht a bottle.
Loei is a good place to stock up on flowering plants with hundreds of nurseries along the side of the roads.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 29, 2005, 6:19 pm

Still sounds like an excellent road trip. If wine does not float your boat then plants and fresh tomatoes sure do. I'm game.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 29, 2005, 7:10 pm

Does anyone know the approx. Kilometer to Loie

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 29, 2005, 11:07 pm

Approx 130km from Udon airport seems to ring a bell, 90 mins travelling time.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 29, 2005, 11:11 pm

Thanks.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 30, 2005, 7:10 am

The road to Loei makes for a nice drive, great for motocycle trip. Roads are smooth, unlike Udon area. Nice scenery with smooth hilly turns in the road. Reminds me of driving from SC to TN.

8)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 30, 2005, 11:40 am

Took about a couple of hours to get there in a tour bus.Some very scenic views on the way and far more hills than i thought there would be.A good day out,with a trek up the highest peak in Thailand in the national park there.Amazing to see pine trees at the top.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 30, 2005, 12:14 pm

a couple pics of loei on an over cast day, pics aren't the best. 1st 10 pics are from loei.

http://community.webshots.com/album/158607936Ddarnw

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 30, 2005, 7:01 pm

I've been to a lot of places in Thailand but not Loei. Looks like I need to go by the comments and good pic.

This leaves a question in mind. If so pretty and nice why did folks choose Udon over Loei to retire. Are the facilites less in Loei?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 30, 2005, 8:02 pm

I'm here in Nong Khai for business reasons.I understand land is quite expensive in Loei and in short supply.Not got the amenities of Udon either.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 1, 2005, 12:33 am

Nice pics La.

How the hell did you not see that hole? If I was you I would say the missus was driving. :D

Gary

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 1, 2005, 9:21 am

banpaeng wrote:I've been to a lot of places in Thailand but not Loei. Looks like I need to go by the comments and good pic.

This leaves a question in mind. If so pretty and nice why did folks choose Udon over Loei to retire. Are the facilites less in Loei?
I have one friend that has lived there for years if wants to speak english he comes to Udon, I don't know if the closes farrang shopping would be in Udon or Kahn Kean. It is truley beautiful mountain area of Thailand and I understand cold by Thia standards in the winter. Here I don't think you can tell by word of mouth the true costs of buying land you just have to get out and search

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 1, 2005, 10:25 am

What i meant by land in short supply is that there is very little valley floor and any there is is purchased by the vineyards.

Bob4you
udonmap.com

Thoughts on Loei

Post by Bob4you » October 23, 2005, 6:35 pm

I have stopped there a couple of times, shopping and a little sight seeing. Beautiful roads in and out, typical Thai town where Farangs and English are an oddity. Udon has so much more to offer including a International Airport, lots of Farang restaurants and I think the number of resident Farangs is closer to 5,000 than 500.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 24, 2005, 11:43 am

Udon has so much more to offer
True Bob,but its nice to se a hill or two once in a while. :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 25, 2005, 9:00 am

How the hell did you not see that hole? If I was you I would say the missus was driving
i saw the hole, that's why the wife was out of the car guiding me, into it. besides that, it was getting dark and as the pic shows, we were in the middle of know where walkable out. was going to hilltop wat for some pics. bottomed out a couple times on the immitation road up to wat, which i later found out only is reached usually by 4x4's, lol. thought about turning around a couple times, since it was the 1st week i owned the car, lol. luckily, close enough to wat that nice man came with 2x4's and wedge and we managed to get out of the hole fairly easy. as i was simply going to jack it up a couple times and knock it off the jack until out of hole if he hadn't come along. so i probably avoided rearranging my bumper/fender with his help and in true good buddhist thai fashion, he refused any money, even offer to dinner for self and wife. while on that subject, my older car died on way back from bkk this week, and got talking to gent at station where i decided to stop running (alternator i believe). young thai guy and wife started a conversation with me and daughter 830 pm, usual, hi, where from/going. well, coincidently, he was headed to nong khai, and jai dee mak mak, gave us a ride to our house from there. and again, refused any money, and i'm talking door to door service. so i folded a baht note up and went to hand it to him, refusing to accept for ride, so i said it not for the ride. he was on 2 day holiday to see mom, w/pregnant wife, so i said this is to take your wife, mother and self to dinner on me for your kind gesture of transportation, only then did he accept it. incidents like these make up for all those other ones that we remember of being overcharged and treated like idiots.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » November 8, 2006, 9:47 pm

I have a question does any one know were I can buy tongkat ali tea in udon thani I found the coffee in china town bkk but i did not like the taste so now i want to try the Tea

Return to “Latest News From Our Sponsors”