Meat Pies

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
ozzydom
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by ozzydom » January 30, 2015, 7:38 pm

Today, I was lucky enough to be invited to try a meat pie created by Peter the resident cook at Cherm Chim and what a great pie it was.
Great pastry (not to thick) filled to the brim with tasty wagyu beef mince and gravy of perfect consistancy , I then tried the steak and mushroom creation, this pie was again full to the brim but of cubes of tender beef in a mushroom gravy.
These two pies were the best I have eaten in S/E Asia and not just Udon Thani.

ozzy

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » January 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Marvellous Ozzydom,good luck in finding your ultimate pie,personally enjoy at the moment the pastry of the Ladys pies,maybe filling not so much but damn tasty nevertheless 8)
Lady pies available at Gourmet foods and there is also a supply at VM today 8)

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » January 30, 2015, 8:27 pm

Forgot to mention Ozzydom, Irish Clock and Tbar and Dean in Udon have been making consistently good pies for sometime,pies with a decent filling can also be found at Chris place,just giving further options for um members 8)

ozzydom
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by ozzydom » January 30, 2015, 9:00 pm

pomps wrote:Forgot to mention Ozzydom, Irish Clock and Tbar and Dean in Udon have been making consistently good pies for sometime,pies with a decent filling can also be found at Chris place,just giving further options for um members 8)
Lady pies were up there until Deans new pie came on line,but now Peters pie has put has him a nose in front but a bit of fine tuning could put either in the winners circle.
Its all good news for we pie lovers.
ozzy

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » January 30, 2015, 9:10 pm

Yes loads of options in Udonsville at the moment \:D/

old-timer
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by old-timer » January 30, 2015, 9:28 pm

PIE WARS

There was such a thing as Pie Wars in Pattaya & Jomtien some years ago.
I believe Simple Simon's of Jomtien came out in front. I bumped into Greg of the famous Greg's kitchen, 2nd Road (Pattaya) buying in bulk the pies, scotch eggs etc from Simple Simon in Jomtien.
He then took them back to Greg's Kitchen and put them on his menu with a huge profit. They were home made pies as he advertised, just not his home made pies.

OT......... \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by jackspratt » January 30, 2015, 9:36 pm

ozzydom wrote: Lady pies were up there until Deans new pie came on line,but now Peters pie has put has him a nose in front but a bit of fine tuning could put either in the winners circle.
Its all good news for we pie lovers.
Given his recent announcement, realistically what is the future of Dean's pies?

In my nearly eight years of living full-time in Udon/Ban Dung, one of the great frustrations (and I am sure the same for farang food retailers and consumers) has been the lack of continuity and consistency in supply - from bread, to pies, to restaurants, to smallgoods etc etc.

In numerous cases, the flavour of the week or month - but here today, gone tomorrow.

This is posted as an observation, and not a criticism of individual suppliers. There are many genuine reasons why this exists. I just wish it weren't so. :(

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Khun Paul » January 31, 2015, 6:03 am

Actually as a matter of fact, Our Mali of Steve's bar fame was Malis Kitchen now T bar, has been making pies for at least 10 years, she makes a variety and consistently the quality is good , like the food served in the restaurants she and Steve have run for as long as I have been here and long before that. before the era of Chern Chim, Papa farangs who are relatively new players.
What was missing was the some of the dry goods and Pork Pies and good sausages, both of are now easily available , although i will say that the last time I purchased English sausages from VM, the fat content must have been almost 40% of the toal, as after grilling they were almost half the size and the puddle of fat was amazing . Pies do not really travel well, so the locally made ones, T-Bar,Papa farangs, CC, are to my mind the best, there may be others. Dean I must say is always experimenting with different concoctions and is amenable to constructive criticism.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by fatbob » January 31, 2015, 10:06 am

For me it's all about consistency together with quality, as JS states a lot of the time, here one day gone the next. Lady Pie has been turning out quality pie's for fifteen years in Thailand, due to her consistency and hard work she is reliable and able to supply a lot of outlets, that deserves support in my book.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Khun Paul » January 31, 2015, 10:16 am

To each their own I say, and that's final. I had a Lady Pie once, my dogs loved it, needless to say I didn't.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by trubrit » January 31, 2015, 10:22 am

Well I think I have now tried them all but have gone back to the ones I originally used to get from CC. They are made by an American guy and his wife from their place in Non Bua Lamphu. They are now sold in Ngee Soon supermarket in Na Dee.They have a varied choice of fillings including some fruit ones, they all have a sell by date, unlike many around and best of all, they are still just 70bht each . \:D/
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

fatbob
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by fatbob » January 31, 2015, 10:24 am

Khun Paul wrote: by Khun Paul » January 31, 2015, 10:16 am

To each their own I say, and that's final. I had a Lady Pie once, my dogs loved it, needless to say I didn't.
That statement doesn't surprise me coming from you at all, what a derogatory thing to say about someone who works hard creating their own successful business in SE Asia, its very obvious that you received a government pay check every week and all you had to do was merely turn up as opposed to having a go on your own.

socksy
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by socksy » January 31, 2015, 10:26 am

trubrit wrote:Well I think I have now tried them all but have gone back to the ones I originally used to get from CC. They are made by an American guy and his wife from their place in Non Bua Lamphu. They are now sold in Ngee Soon supermarket in Na Dee.They have a varied choice of fillings including some fruit ones, they all have a sell by date, unlike many around and best of all, they are still just 70bht each . \:D/
Also had these and they are to my personal taste - not tried the large Cornish Pasty yet.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

trubrit
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by trubrit » January 31, 2015, 10:29 am

socksy wrote:
trubrit wrote:Well I think I have now tried them all but have gone back to the ones I originally used to get from CC. They are made by an American guy and his wife from their place in Non Bua Lamphu. They are now sold in Ngee Soon supermarket in Na Dee.They have a varied choice of fillings including some fruit ones, they all have a sell by date, unlike many around and best of all, they are still just 70bht each . \:D/
Also had these and they are to my personal taste - not tried the large Cornish Pasty yet.
The Cornish pasties are huge, a complete meal on their own with a bit of relish and just 90bht each. \:D/
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

choice-foods-udon
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by choice-foods-udon » January 31, 2015, 10:45 am

Dear Val/Trubrit

Just like to update you as i havnt seen you in a long time !

Our Pie Suppliers have now changed since the old days .In fact we now have Three suppliers of Quality pies ,Sausage rolls and pasties.
id like to mention to all the pie lovers out there Peter now bakes to order fresh pies ready for collection on your requested day!
Now lets talk beef pies, Our pies use AUSTRALIAN BLACK ANGUS BEEF / please tell me what beef the competitors use in their pies?

Being a pie lover of many years with the poundage to show I must say My Chef Peters Pies are better than many Pies I used to think were great pies back in Australia . (the best in Udon)

I bought a lady pie from Villa wasnt impressed consider it a few classes under a fourntwenty that we used to get at the rugby !
Thank you to all our customers new and old for your Pie patronage.

Terry
Chern Chim Quality Foods & Steak House : http://chernchim.com : https://www.facebook.com/chernchim.udon
Any questions call 042-241138

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by semperfiguy » January 31, 2015, 10:50 am

I had a steak and mushroom pie for dinner in a reputable establishment recently and it sent me into a tailspin. I was up half the night with palpitations and high blood pressure readings. My guess is they used MSG in the cooking of the meat to tenderize it and give it flavor, so all you consumers who may be allergic to MSG, as am I, beware of the meat pies. My concern is that if I ask about the MSG beforehand I probably won't get a straight answer, and once consumed it's too late!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

choice-foods-udon
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by choice-foods-udon » January 31, 2015, 11:11 am

Just like to Confirm our Freshly baked pies do not contain any MSG, Im not sure if thats the case with The lady pies and others.
Chern Chim Quality Foods & Steak House : http://chernchim.com : https://www.facebook.com/chernchim.udon
Any questions call 042-241138

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » January 31, 2015, 11:20 am

A quick and easy google re msg and the ladypie website states no msg in their products 8)

chewbacca
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by chewbacca » January 31, 2015, 12:12 pm

Instead of everyone playing the brand bump game, -my question is, if not using a proper gas oven, what method do you gents use?

I try to avoid using the microwave as it ruins the crust.

My wife showed me how to cook the meat pie the other day using the defrost setting only, on a non-frozen pie we had picked up. 6 minutes. Perfect result. But not sure if this method is OK also with a frozen pie for a longer time setting? I'd ask her but she's off loan sharking.

Also, what kind of 'electric oven' is preferable if any? I'd like to buy a small one just for pies and melting choc chips onto Nilla wafers. No really.

What type is best suited? -Convection? -Standard toaster oven? -What brand, what model, where'd you get it, how much?

Also, if I defrost by way of moving from freezer to fridge, how many days have I got till it's gone off? ref. Beef, or Chicken, or Pork)

bengibbo
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by bengibbo » January 31, 2015, 12:20 pm

Just to point out that we at the Celtic yard are proud to sell peters pies in our restaurant and have sold over a 100! Peter has nailed the flaky pastry down to a tee and the meat inside has the perfect consistency and tenderness

Well done peter =D>

Many thanks Ben Celtic yard

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”