Best Thai Whisky - Rum - Liqueur !!!!

General Udon Thani topics only!
the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 11, 2015, 6:22 pm

A friend of mine is coming from Japan for a short visit.. I know that he is a whisky lover and i would like to offer him a bottle of the best THAI alcohol ( whisky, or rum, or liqueur.). Not being very knowledgeable about Thai whisky, rum, liqueur, wine, so i am here to seek your advices, your suggestions... What s the BEST Thai whisky ? Best Thai rum ? Best Thai liqueur ? Names and prices please. Thanks in advance.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 11, 2015, 7:32 pm

Best Thai Rum / Liqueur is Sang Som Available EVERYWHERE I Think about 150 Baht Large 70 CL BOTTLE,Also available in Half Bottles about 85 Baht,Mixed with Coke & Ice is quite a pleasant drink in Moderation.....

As for the best Whisky,I Doubt you could describe ANY Thai Whisky as " Best "....Hope this helps..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2015, 7:41 pm

Not been buying bottles of Sang Som lateley have you 747 :lol:

It's very nearly double that now ..... but still worth every baht when compared to the Thai Whiskys/Blends :-&

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » February 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Not been buying bottles of Sang Som lateley have you 747 :lol:
A long long time

Just asked the wife, who knows her whisky.and straight off either Sang Som or 285.
Both of which are available 01856 850298 everywhere, best bet the next 7/11

If you haven't tried Sang Som before be warned it is sooooo easy and once you pop you just can't stop.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 11, 2015, 8:00 pm

Best for what? I notice you say your friend is a "Whisky" lover, without an "E', which implies he likes the Scotch. If so he certainly won't be at all happy with any of the Thai produced rubbish for drinking, but if he is into paint stripping there is not much to choose between them. The Thai's tend to heavily dilute their drink with copious amounts of soda or horror of horrors, cola, so they don't really care about the taste, all their looking for is to get pee'd.If you really want him to experience "Thai style" I suggest you get him a bottle of lao cow, made from rice, let him drink it neat as the locals do, it's quite cheap, possibly the cheapest hangover he'll ever have .Its deliberately kept low price as it serves as a means of sedating the majority of lower class population to prevent an uprising. :roll: :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Not been buying bottles of Sang Som lateley have you 747 :lol:

It's very nearly double that now ..... but still worth every baht when compared to the Thai Whiskys/Blends :-&
I DID Say I THNK, Statts...Bought a Half of Bottle on New Years Eve but did'nt notice the price at 7/11.....But I Did enjoy it,But NOT The NEXT Morning....Hic ! Hic ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But Before that, I Had'nt drank it for almost 10 Years or so.....And it will PROBABLY be another 10 Years until I Drink it again.. :lol: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

I'll have one for you tonight whilst watching the Palace/Toon game :guiness:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 11, 2015, 8:53 pm

You Staying up till 3am to watch THAT ??

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2015, 9:38 pm

No .... I will be up at 5am (I doubt that I will be so bored that I will fall asleep at kick off time ...... it's not a Moysey derby) :lol:

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » February 12, 2015, 12:26 pm

Personally the only thing I will drink here is 'lao khow' , once you get used to the flavor it's good. The price is right and way less hangover than all the other stuff.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 12, 2015, 12:33 pm

JMT42 wrote:Personally the only thing I will drink here is 'lao khow' , once you get used to the flavor it's good. The price is right and way less hangover than all the other stuff.
Oh Dear ! Have PITY on you're POOR Liver... :shock: :shock:

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 12, 2015, 2:50 pm

You didn't say what nationality he is , but if he drinks the Japanese stuff , anything here will be superior, the best rum by far is Sang Som 300bht a bottle ,and for cultural purposes only got to be lao cao ( low cow )it's dynamite, then any of the run of the mill whiskey's blend so long as you mix it , there used to be Spey royal which was excellent but iv'e not seen in a long time ,

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 12, 2015, 5:49 pm

Hoopoe wrote:You didn't say what nationality he is , but if he drinks the Japanese stuff , anything here will be superior, the best rum by far is Sang Som 300bht a bottle ,and for cultural purposes only got to be lao cao ( low cow )it's dynamite, then any of the run of the mill whiskey's blend so long as you mix it , there used to be Spey royal which was excellent but iv'e not seen in a long time ,
Japanese stuff??? 2013 winner of the best single malt in the world.
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.48 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
The following year it came from Tasmania .
Sullivans-Cove-single-cas-001.jpg
Sullivans-Cove-single-cas-001.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
The Scots are losing the edge.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » February 12, 2015, 9:27 pm

JMT42 wrote:Personally the only thing I will drink here is 'lao khow' , once you get used to the flavor it's good. The price is right and way less hangover than all the other stuff.
image.jpg
Yes a very popular drink resulting in as above. This is quite a common sight in the Isaan region and nothing to be alarmed about.

OT............... \:D/

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 12, 2015, 11:56 pm

monk .tix with lots of reserch and after greart tasting duress i have fromed my opinion ......thai grogg is all nonsense.

impoterded piss is the best and will remian the best .... plee see the link at bottom op m post.

pruff is in the pudding ..and im bladderert
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 13, 2015, 7:16 am

old-timer wrote:
image.jpg
Yes a very popular drink resulting in as above. This is quite a common sight in the Isaan region and nothing to be alarmed about.

O/T, with so much dengue fever about, I highly recommend you cover up in the evenings, wearing loose fitting clothes and mosquito repellent on exposed areas. Just getting pissed on lao khao won't keep the little buggers away.

I am sure Wazza will support this. \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 13, 2015, 8:40 am

But the little b*ggers only bite once before they too pass out p*ssed :lol:

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » February 13, 2015, 2:46 pm

jackspratt wrote:
old-timer wrote:
image.jpg

O/T, with so much dengue fever about, I highly recommend you cover up in the evenings, wearing loose fitting clothes and mosquito repellent on exposed areas. Just getting pissed on lao khao won't keep the little buggers away.

I am sure Wazza will support this. \:D/
Very funny, I don't drink Lao Khao, although I have been in similar condition to the fella in the photo a few times. And I always wear strides and a shirt when out on the town so never had a problem getting bitten by mossies.

OT.................. \:D/

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 14, 2015, 12:54 am

If he's a whiskey drinker just forget it. He's going to think it all tastes like crap. Give him a bottle of Sang Som and drink it with soda water and a slight squirt of lime. One part rum and three parts soda water. Both cold, then on the rocks. Maybe a dash of curacoa if you have it, but I would go out of the way to track it down.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » February 14, 2015, 3:07 pm

Red Cock. "Distilled from Rice". 149 baht for a 70cl bottle. Available only at Tesco. Just tell the guy it's Sake! =D>

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”