Traffic Fines

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
rods1201
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by rods1201 » February 19, 2015, 8:19 am

I would just like to advise everyone out there to be careful of traffic lights (red lights) as I have just been caught (they said) and I was charged 1000thb and there was certainly no please or thank you involved.

noosard
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by noosard » February 19, 2015, 8:23 am

They don't allow you to go thru an orange light either

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2015, 8:31 am

noosard wrote:They don't allow you to go thru an orange light either

You should slam on your brakes and have six or seven other cars who were about to "run the red" pile into the back of you =D>

Macca
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by Macca » February 19, 2015, 8:38 am

1.000 baht really. Never heard of any fines over 200 at the stop and check points.
The wife always stops on amber and it makes me nervous knowing one day thee shunt will come.

Cheers for the heads up

pomps
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by pomps » February 19, 2015, 9:41 am

Thanks for the info,which set of lights are the bib requesting an excessive fee?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2015, 9:55 am

And more to the point .... Were they REAL BIB? .... It wouldn't be the first time in Udon that a fake BIB checkpoint has been set up :-$

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by Bonanza » February 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Personally I'm a little more concerned that all you chaps think it is perfectly normal to cross the lights when they are at amber or red! :shock: Both those colours mean 'stop;. [-X And with so much criticism on this forum of the standard of driving in Thailand.........................................! :?

Macca
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by Macca » February 19, 2015, 10:37 am

Bonanza wrote:Personally I'm a little more concerned that all you chaps think it is perfectly normal to cross the lights when they are at amber or red! :shock: Both those colours mean 'stop;. [-X And with so much criticism on this forum of the standard of driving in Thailand.........................................! :?
Really :shock: :shock: :shock:
From the UK Highway Code.

"AMBER means
‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

Maybe it's different where you're from

socksy
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by socksy » February 19, 2015, 10:44 am

"AMBER means
‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

Correct - including being shunted from behind by stopping suddenly
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

noosard
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by noosard » February 19, 2015, 10:47 am

From thailaws.com

Title 2
Traffic Signals and Traffic Signs
Section 21 (10008) i;
[The driver must comply with tr:affic signals and traffic signs.]
;'(def. traffic signal: any signal by movement or showing or sending of a fire, electric light,
hand, arm, whistle or by other means for drivers, pedestrians or persons who lead, ride or
chase animals to comply with such a signal.
Traffic sign: any sign installed or made conspicuous in a way for drivers, pedestrians or
persons who lead, ride or chase animals to comply with such a sign.)
Section 22 (10008)
Green: the driver may drive the vehicle through
Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has
passed the stop line when the traffic lighfturns yellow, he may go through.
Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line.
Green Arrow: the driver shall drive according to the direction of the green arrow, but shall
be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.
Blinking Red: the driver shall stop at the stop line and, when it is seen safe, may proceed
with care.
Blinking Yellow: the driver shatl reduce the speed of the vehicle and proceed through the
roadway carefully.l
The driver who is to drive the vehicle straight ahead shall keep to the traffic lane with a
traffic sign indicating going straight anedd and the driver who is to turn the vehicle shall
keep to the traffic lane with a traffic signal indicating turning. Entering into the said traffic
lanes shall be made from where there is traffic sign indicating such.
,:: l' . Section 23"(1O00B)
[If a traffic light indicates a "red cross" or "green arrow" on a specific lane, the driver on
the lane shall comply with this sign.l

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by pf-flyer » February 19, 2015, 10:56 am

I was charged 400 Baht for going thru on a Yellow light. The lieutenant was smiling and very personable while he was writing my receipt. It was Yellow when I entered the intersection and it turned to red before I got thru. The BIB that pulled me over by the Charoen Hotel was polite and smiling while he over informed me " Stop on Yellow ".
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

samuel
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by samuel » February 19, 2015, 11:04 am

rods1201 wrote:....as I have just been caught (they said) and I was charged 1000thb ....
If you're 100% convinced to be right and if you have a dashcam on your windscreen - just point to it and ask the police-officer: "do you want to see my movie?"
But if you are in a hurry and don't want to waste or spoil your day - just pay in cash and let it be.
:D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by old-timer » February 19, 2015, 12:30 pm

samuel wrote:
rods1201 wrote:..
If you're 100% convinced to be right and if you have a dashcam on your windscreen
:D
Too many "ifs" in that.
Pay the fine or the hassle will be forever more.

OT............... \:D/

parrot
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by parrot » February 19, 2015, 12:47 pm

No question about paying the fine.....just wondering what led to the 1000 Baht fine?

old-timer
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by old-timer » February 19, 2015, 12:54 pm

parrot wrote:No question about paying the fine.....just wondering what led to the 1000 Baht fine?
Because....the police said he jumped the lights and that's the correct fine according to Thai Law (read noosards post). Anyone paying less is paying just tea money for the coppers, even the 1000 paid might be tea money, who knows?

OT............. \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

parrot wrote:No question about paying the fine.....just wondering what led to the 1000 Baht fine?
Price of Tea went up :-k

parrot
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by parrot » February 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

Keeping in touch with reality is, for me, a good way to remind myself of the joys of living here. If you're from the US, the insurance penalties for traffic violations:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102436143

OT: "Anyone paying less is paying just tea money for the coppers, even the 1000 paid might be tea money, who knows?"

You run a red light (or other violation), you're paying a fine (IMO).

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by pf-flyer » February 20, 2015, 7:04 am

One of my pet peeves is the three second yellow light at the intersection of Ring Road and Soi Nong Bua. The intersections that have a countdown for the light changes at least give you a heads up warning for a light change. I would like to see more of them installed especially at the intersection of Ring Road and Soi Nong Bua. I saw a chain reaction collision of cars and trucks several months ago at this intersection where they had one lane closed at short distance from the intersection and they were pulling vehicles over in order to fine them.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

pomps
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by pomps » February 20, 2015, 7:26 am

Agree with that and then when driving into town past AEK udon with the next traffic lights with the turning to the temple wat po tiwarlam that used to have a countdown but no more.Both places popular with the BIB as never know when the lights will change 8)
Good money earners for them 8)

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Traffic Fines

Post by pf-flyer » February 20, 2015, 7:44 am

Watch out for the intersections that sequence from Green light to No lights and then to Red.

Return to “Travel & Transport”