world view of thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » January 11, 2015, 9:54 am

jackspratt wrote:
JR wrote:
GT93 wrote:There's widespread censorship in Thailand since the coup. It isn't a democracy anymore. And the link touches on a very sensitive subject. Some members have been holding their tongues for yonks on the coup because of the strict censorship.
Not a democracy any more, what? Thailand has never been a democracy!
Interesting concept.

Assuming Thailand has never been one, what is your definition of a democracy?
Perhaps a country where the leadership is elected and does not appoint itself?

rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » January 11, 2015, 10:04 am

samsam wrote:
jackspratt wrote:
GT93 wrote:I struggled to find a thread to post this link in:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news ... d=11383297

New Zealand is being urged by the Thai government to revoke the NZ passport held by a wanted Red Shirt who arrived in NZ as a refugee. I guess the Thai government is trying to grab other Red Shirts residing overseas. It doesn't make Thailand look good.
Thailand's junta probably doesn't understand that civilised countries generally don't extradite/deport political "refugees".

Of course, Sweden may prove the exception here if it manages to get its hands on Assange.
Well he is not a political refugee in that sense,he never sought that in sweden,but he is a suspeckt in a rape case in sweden,get your facts right,there is no possebility by swedish laws to extredite him to the Us if he apply as a political refugee,but he has to stand trial for the rape charges,innocent or not.
No, he is NOT a suspect in a rape case. He is wanted for questioning only and it is not for rape. Perhaps YOU better get your facts straight.

rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » January 11, 2015, 10:12 am

glalt wrote:My view of the coup is that I see some incredibly corrupt officials being exposed, more huge drug busts than ever before and the freedom to go wherever I want without seeing crazy demonstrations and blocked highways. At this point, why would I wish for a democracy Thai style? If the general finds a way to keep the corrupt veteran politicians out of politics, then elections may work out.
Will the general press charges against himself?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by stattointhailand » January 11, 2015, 11:22 am

rufus wrote:
glalt wrote:My view of the coup is that I see some incredibly corrupt officials being exposed, more huge drug busts than ever before and the freedom to go wherever I want without seeing crazy demonstrations and blocked highways. At this point, why would I wish for a democracy Thai style? If the general finds a way to keep the corrupt veteran politicians out of politics, then elections may work out.
Will the general press charges against himself?
Hope he doesn't give himself a "tip off" if he intends a raid :-$

rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » January 11, 2015, 2:40 pm

rofl

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by jai yen yen » January 12, 2015, 1:30 am

Your view may be a little clouded as well as self serving. what may be best for you is not necessarily best for the Thais. People with guns and wealth can be as corrupt as anyone, it does not make them right or better.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by marjamlew » January 12, 2015, 8:03 am

GT93 wrote:I struggled to find a thread to post this link in:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news ... d=11383297

New Zealand is being urged by the Thai government to revoke the NZ passport held by a wanted Red Shirt who arrived in NZ as a refugee. I guess the Thai government is trying to grab other Red Shirts residing overseas. It doesn't make Thailand look good.
Today's editorial in said paper has more to add:
Editorial: Thai refugee right to push for democracy
Watch Me!!

glalt
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by glalt » January 12, 2015, 12:04 pm

Would anyone REALLY like to see the same groups of corrupt politicians back in office?? Both major parties use the same rules, You don't tell on me and I won't tell on you. They don't steal millions, they steal billions.

rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » January 12, 2015, 6:29 pm

Unfortunately the corrupt will remain in power behind the scenes and it has nothing to do with any political party.

noosard
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by noosard » January 12, 2015, 7:20 pm

Welcome to the real world

GT93
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by GT93 » January 13, 2015, 2:16 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11384953

Not sure if your link was successful marjamlew. Here it is again.

NZers wouldn't know much about Thailand. It isn't a country of much interest here. Our cheap holiday destination is Australia given how close it is and how crappy the Oz dollar is for now.

If NZers travel for sxx it's probably just as likely to be Oz as Thailand although commercial sxx is very very cheap here in NZ. Stickman has noted that. It's legal here so prices are openly advertised. If it wasn't for our geography we'd be like Thailand and Germany (i.e. a big sxx industry for tourists).
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

wazza
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by wazza » January 13, 2015, 3:25 pm

GT93 wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11384953

NZers wouldn't know much about Thailand. It isn't a country of much interest here. Our cheap holiday destination is Australia given how close it is and how crappy the Oz dollar is for now.

If NZers travel for sxx it's probably just as likely to be Oz as Thailand although commercial sxx is very very cheap here in NZ. Stickman has noted that. It's legal here so prices are openly advertised. If it wasn't for our geography we'd be like Thailand and Germany (i.e. a big sxx industry for tourists).
Cant be that cheap as Phil Rudd refuses to pay ??

GT93
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by GT93 » March 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

An American cartoonist's view of Thailand's current journey:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/opini ... pe=article

ronan01
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by ronan01 » March 3, 2015, 6:35 pm

GT93 wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11384953

NZ sux tourists to Oz: Why the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras was invented.

Sux tourists to NZ: "Where the bloody hell are ya? Come to NZ and get yourself a woolly jumper". Cant wait for the advertising campaign. Quality ewe's from $125.

Thai mating call: "Hello hansum man". Kiwi mating call: "Baaa Baaaa Baaa". I think NZ would never be like Thailand.

GT93
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by GT93 » March 4, 2015, 7:03 am

You must be great fun to live with ronan01. No wonder farang love the Thais' emphasis on sanuk when we can be such dreary fellows.

ronan01
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by ronan01 » March 4, 2015, 11:13 am

GT93 wrote:You must be great fun to live with ronan01. No wonder farang love the Thais' emphasis on sanuk when we can be such dreary fellows.
What do you mean "we" Skup?

JMT42
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by JMT42 » March 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Thai media never was to independent but now it's worse. That's why I don't read the Bangkok Post anymore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 5, 2015, 8:25 pm

The Bangkok Post has improved recently and has had a number of analytical columns that are critical of the government and its unelected ruler; and that question some of their policies. Seriously.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

rufus
udonmap.com

world view of thailand

Post by rufus » March 7, 2015, 8:03 pm

Yes I have noticed that too. Perhaps people are getting sick of fake democracy and fake PMs and maybe even Voldemort.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”