Retirement Extn. Under Consideration. New Hoops?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » April 20, 2015, 11:14 pm

fdimike wrote:The terms visa and extension of stay are routinely interchanged by those discussing the subject here and in the media.
Isn't it fair to demand, that at least those intelligent to notice this error, should stop practicing this error? :-"

Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 21, 2015, 6:15 am

Ok, so quite a few of us get the official terminology wrong, quoting visa instead of extension.

But there WAS news in the media of 'dodgy' approvals, extensions presumably rather than visas, being secured in the Udon area and to my understanding why Udon Immigration was supposedly told to carry out more thorough checks. But I wouldn't put it past Immigration to use a Baldrick-like "cunning plan", blame the Army for insisting on it and then get 'extras' from applicants who need the extensions ok'd quickly.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » April 21, 2015, 8:53 am

Renewed my extension at Loei immigration yesterday, in and out 1 hour all done 1900 no tea money asked or expected. and never has been in all the years I have lived here.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 11, 2015, 2:34 pm

Just back from renewing my extension based on retirement. Apparently, my documentation was in order because nothing was asked for. Took about 20min from start to finish and received a 30 day consideration stamp. A couple of observations:

1. It seems that more data from my passport and application were entered into the computer and it appeared my passport was scanned or run through a bar code reader. Don't recall either of this occurring last year.

2. I wasn't asked to provide a signature for each document I submitted. Last year and previous extensions they stamped each doc and had me sign.

3. Upon completion the IO asked for 2,000bt. I replied "2,000bt???...I thought it was 1,900bt" He giggled and smiled. I handed him 1,900bt and he accepted it without further comment. No receipt was given and I didn't bother to ask for one.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 11, 2015, 3:12 pm

"Upon completion the IO asked for 2,000bt. I replied "2,000bt???...I thought it was 1,900bt" He giggled and smiled."
It's the audacity of these 'respectable' officers which gets me. Was this the newish, young guy at the far end? Obviously, well trained.

I would have asked for the receipt myself. A point that, perhaps, has never been raised - I guess/hope it's a fair assumption that the receipt books are monitored, the receipts actually bona fide and that somebody has to account that x visas issued x 1900 baht has been officially banked? Although Thailand seems pretty good at 'creative' accounting. :-k Who's checking who?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 11, 2015, 3:14 pm

I have to agree with Brian. I would have certainly asked for a receipt.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 11, 2015, 4:03 pm

Always take an envelope with the required amount AND ask for a receipt and do not leave until you have one. He might well be a poilice officer but that does not mean you have to trust him especially here !!

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » November 11, 2015, 4:04 pm

Be prepared to pay again in 30 days, these guys are so corrupt.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 11, 2015, 4:43 pm

Interesting to see we are 12 months down the track and the Udon office is still the only one within the Kingdom (that I know of) requiring the 30 day 'cool off' waiting period.

I know for a fact that those using an alternate method of getting their 'Retirement Extensions' are finding it more and more difficult (which is not a surprise) with far greater hoops to jump through. IMHO, there are going to be a crap load of good, reasonably honest retired Expats in a difficult position within the next 12 months.

25th Dec (yes Xmas Day) will see me shuffle through the system again, new passport this year so that will throw a spanner in the works but unlike last year I don't have to get an urgent re entry permit so will suffer the 30 day delay. AND not pay a Baht which is not receitable.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 11, 2015, 4:55 pm

Just to add:-

Are they still re setting the 90 day report date from the Extension (Application) Date. (They have always placed a note in my passport telling me to report 90 days from that date).

According to numerous threads on TV most Immigration Offices use your last 90 day report as the time-line for the next report (Or a newer entry into the Kingdom)????
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 11, 2015, 5:17 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:Just to add:-

Are they still re setting the 90 day report date from the Extension (Application) Date. (They have always placed a note in my passport telling me to report 90 days from that date).

Yes, in our case. We returned from the US in late Sept, so 90 days should have been late-ish Dec. But when we renewed our visas in mid-Oct, the 90 day mark was set from that day.

As for the comment above "Be prepared to pay again in 30 days, these monkeys are so corrupt.".......are you basing that statement on some facts? It would be beneficial to everyone if we just stated the facts. I've never heard of anyone paying again when they return in 30 days.

Finally.....on the subject of Udon being the only office that requires returning.......I've read on TV of other offices that require the same........but brain cells don't recall which ones.

haggis087
udonmap.com

Post by haggis087 » November 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

papaguido wrote:Just back from renewing my extension based on retirement. Apparently, my documentation was in order because nothing was asked for. Took about 20min from start to finish and received a 30 day consideration stamp. A couple of observations:

1. It seems that more data from my passport and application were entered into the computer and it appeared my passport was scanned or run through a bar code reader. Don't recall either of this occurring last year.

2. I wasn't asked to provide a signature for each document I submitted. Last year and previous extensions they stamped each doc and had me sign.

3. Upon completion the IO asked for 2,000bt. I replied "2,000bt???...I thought it was 1,900bt" He giggled and smiled. I handed him 1,900bt and he accepted it without further comment. No receipt was given and I didn't bother to ask for one.
I went there last month to get an extension of 30 days on my 60 day tourist visa (issued in London) Very simple procedure. Was dealt with initially by older gentleman, who normally sits in middle of desk area, and then finally by younger lad who was sat at far right hand side.
I was asked for 2000bht also and when I queried this the older Policeman grinned sheepishly and told me he would give me change if I really wanted it!!
This is the same 'gentleman' who I believe is working with a particular foreign Bar owner(Name can be supplied ;) ) to provide under the counter retirement visa's for the princely sum of 35,000bht. The scam involves a little farang consortium putting up the 800,000bht to get someone through the initial checks and then taking it back out of the provided account so its not really surprising this Policeman is trying to get even more 'tips' as the system is so corrupt!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

haggis087 wrote:
papaguido wrote:Just back from renewing my extension based on retirement. Apparently, my documentation was in order because nothing was asked for. Took about 20min from start to finish and received a 30 day consideration stamp. A couple of observations:

I went there last month to get an extension of 30 days on my 60 day tourist visa (issued in London) Very simple procedure. Was dealt with initially by older gentleman, who normally sits in middle of desk area, and then finally by younger lad who was sat at far right hand side.
I was asked for 2000bht also and when I queried this the older Policeman grinned sheepishly and told me he would give me change if I really wanted it!!
This is the same 'gentleman' who I believe is working with a particular foreign Bar owner(Name can be supplied ;) ) to provide under the counter retirement visa's for the princely sum of 35,000bht. The scam involves a little farang consortium putting up the 800,000bht to get someone through the initial checks and then taking it back out of the provided account so its not really surprising this Policeman is trying to get even more 'tips' as the system is so corrupt!
Same guy that tried to scam me.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » November 12, 2015, 12:20 am

I was there on November 3 although my extension of stay/one year permission to stay will only expire on December 13.
So about 40 days before the deadline.

I gave the officer 1.900 Baht. No need for change.

But why did I go to immigration so early? The answer is pretty simple: While I am "under consideration" the old permission to stay is still valid. And my Re-Entry permit too. So my wife and I could still decide on short notice to have a few days holidays abroad. No feeling of being pressured.

P.S. Quite a lot of Farangs in Beachware. Pretty helpless peeps. Although in Udon for years now they were unable to speak a sentence in Thai.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 12, 2015, 7:15 am

Quite from another Poster : I know for a fact that those using an alternate method of getting their 'Retirement Extensions' are finding it more and more difficult (which is not a surprise) with far greater hoops to jump through. IMHO, there are going to be a crap load of good, reasonably honest retired Expats in a difficult position within the next 12 months.

It has been said often enough here , and maybe I am one of those who took the precaution of working out the future before it happens, but when the baht took a tumble on the exchange rates we had a few expats finding life difficult and almost immediately a situation arose which was filled by a Thai , of circumnavigating the requirements in order to enable fellow expats the means to stay here.

Many of us know them and privately wish them luck, but most of us are too well aware that the 'Sword of Damocles ' will eventually fall , personally I try to urge some I know to make provisions or even find other sources of funding to comply with the law, in some cases it works, in others the person concerned has absolutely no way to finance any other options other the one which is currently in use.
In one case ( no names ) the mem sahib has the house , he has a lease, but she refuses to sell so his cash is tied up, a situation many of us have come to realise is a no win situation for the expat, who may well have to limp off back to his own country in abject poverty, as there is no way he can fund his current Thai lifestyle in his own Western Country.

The Thai Immigration themselves have come under severe scrutiny following many lapses of procedure the last being the multi issuance of marriage Visas in a town not to far from here. Plus the clamp down on Governmental Corrupt practices and the availability of call centres being set up to report such practices then everyone in Government Agencies are continually looking over their shoulder.

The law itself has not changed JUST the implementation and adherence to it, by the officials. Had expats taken the time to look at the law and complied with it from the outset, most would have no problems now, but as with all men , some think with the brain lower down rather than with the brain located in their head. And life becomes very difficult.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 12, 2015, 7:22 am

=D> =D> =D>
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 12, 2015, 1:33 pm

Went the other day for my 90 day report. This is the second time that he Stamped "Permit Same Day VISA Finish" on my 90 day report paper. The last time this happened I still had to wait 30 days. So it just hit me of its meaning. With it and 1,000 baht I won't need to wait 30 days. :lol: I'm just going to go 30 days early. :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Retirement Extn Under Consideration New Hoops

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2016, 3:09 pm

Wallacekef wrote:Dear all,
i wanna ask, i finished my 3 years contract in my company and i renew my visa 3 months before.then after i got a chance to join with other company.i have sharja visa right now.then new company will take me under dubai visa.new company said to me cancel my visa and go back to my country after that they will send me visa to my country.now my visa processing for cancellation. i wanna know after my exit is there is a ban?
I guess that English is not your first language, so there are a few questions before a correct answer can be given.

Do you have a visa or an extension of stay? If you don't know, you get a visa outside Thailand. You get an extension of stay from immigration in Thailand.
I don't understand what "sharja visa" means, nor do I understand dubai visa.

If you had an extension of stay that finished the day your contract ended and you are on overstay now.

If you had a visa then the permission to stay is still OK.

Even if you are on an overstay you will not be banned if you leave befor 20th of March you will just need to pay a fine at the airport.

If you, or anyone is on an overstay, LEAVE BEFORE 20 March to clear the overstay. It will not stop you from coming straight back (preferably with a visa) it will not stop you getting a visa.

If you wait until after 20 March you run a serious risk of being banned for up to 10 years, depending on length of overstay.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”