Fish and Chips in Udon City

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
valentine

Post by valentine » May 12, 2006, 5:59 am

Prenders88 wrote:Val,
If you want vinegar, just use a bottle of Thai wine :wink:

Tony
A little to sweet on the fish i would think Tony :wink:

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » May 12, 2006, 3:50 pm

valentine wrote:Back to the subject matter, fish and chips, well nearly. Does anyone know where I can get malt vinegar, in my mind essential with them.
I just had a delicious lunch at the German Bakery and spoke with Dieter, the owner and chef, he's off to Bangkok next week and will be bringing back some malt vinegar that will be for sale in the deli section of his restaurant.
I agree Val, fish and chips isn't fish and chips without the malt vinegar.

I've always thought the fish and chips at City Lodge are very good and I know this will rock the foundation of some of our more staid British members, but I order my fish and chips at City Lodge with onion rings instead of chips. Delicious!

valentine

Post by valentine » May 12, 2006, 7:13 pm

jingjai wrote:
valentine wrote:Back to the subject matter, fish and chips, well nearly. Does anyone know where I can get malt vinegar, in my mind essential with them.
I just had a delicious lunch at the German Bakery and spoke with Dieter, the owner and chef, he's off to Bangkok next week and will be bringing back some malt vinegar that will be for sale in the deli section of his restaurant.

I've always thought the fish and chips at City Lodge are very good and I know this will rock the foundation of some of our more staid British members, but I order my fish and chips at City Lodge with onion rings instead of chips. Delicious!
Onion rings, onion rings whatever next? Just give me a lovely big wally :roll: I;ll buy a beer for the first non brit who knows what a wally is. if no one knows the beer will go to the most imaginitive but publishable guess. :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 12, 2006, 9:22 pm

valentine wrote:
jingjai wrote:

Onion rings, onion rings whatever next? Just give me a lovely big wally :roll: I;ll buy a beer for the first non brit who knows what a wally is. if no one knows the beer will go to the most imaginitive but publishable guess. :lol:
A pickle as we yanks refer to it; aka gherkin, pickled cucumber.... :wink:

valentine

Post by valentine » May 13, 2006, 6:51 am

papaguido wrote:
valentine wrote:
jingjai wrote:

A pickle as we yanks refer to it; aka gherkin, pickled cucumber.... :wink:
Theres a beer awaiting you when your next in town, just Pm me, well done.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » May 13, 2006, 9:04 am

valentine wrote: Theres a beer (a night market beer...kee neow) awaiting you when your next in town, just Pm me, well done.
www.udonmap.com

hxjohn
udonmap.com

the best

Post by hxjohn » May 13, 2006, 9:05 am

the best fish and chips as always been harrys and as the bars come and go that as always been so
dont get to go as much i would like to these days but harrys always serves good food and no BS :shock:

Grandad
udonmap.com

Post by Grandad » May 13, 2006, 9:36 am

The best Fish in Chips I've found (outside of Blighty of course) is in Bangkok at the Offshore near Soi Cowboy. Huge piece of cod in batter with a pile of chips, mushy peas (essential) and lashings of salt and vinegar. no ketchup, no mayo.

You Cannot beat it. It's even decked out like a 'chippy' - depressing and grey. But the food is good. As for Udon Thani, there are quite a few places serving pretty good f & c. But if you're ever in Bangkok, go to the Offshore.

Talking of fish and chips, I went out with a friend of mine who has been living in Thailand for 11 years (and thinks he can speak Thai) to one of the falang restaurants and he orders 'Pla gap french fries'. The waitress looks at him strangely and says 'do you mean fish and chips?' (as per the menu). it was very funny.

George

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 13, 2006, 11:57 am

ray23 wrote:The answer to that one is yes, you won't see him though he had a stoke many years ago and is not in the resturant anymore . TJ's is I beleive the oldest farrang resturant in Udon. At one time there was an American consulate, here and thier employees were the original customer base.

Today you will see many more Thai there then farrangs but is Western Food, I thnk can get cowpot but thats it.

Great Chilli and home made pies.
That my signature is TJ and this comment is about the TJ restaurant is a coincidence. However I have eaten their chili and IMO it was quite good.

Didn't know about their (apple?) pies. Thanks for the tip.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 13, 2006, 9:51 pm

TJ wrote:
ray23 wrote:The answer to that one is yes, you won't see him though he had a stoke many years ago and is not in the resturant anymore . TJ's is I beleive the oldest farrang resturant in Udon. At one time there was an American consulate, here and thier employees were the original customer base.

Today you will see many more Thai there then farrangs but is Western Food, I thnk can get cowpot but thats it.

Great Chilli and home made pies.
That my signature is TJ and this comment is about the TJ restaurant is a coincidence. However I have eaten their chili and IMO it was quite good.

Didn't know about their (apple?) pies. Thanks for the tip.
They've got pecan pie too. I always make sure to save a little room for my slice of pie =P~

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 13, 2006, 10:01 pm

A pickle as we yanks refer to it; aka gherkin, pickled cucumber.... :wink:[/quote]
Theres a beer awaiting you when your next in town, just Pm me, well done.[/quote]

Thank you Val, appreciate the offer :)

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 13, 2006, 11:35 pm

Has anyone seen pickled onions?

Tony

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 14, 2006, 9:01 am

Marinated (pickled) mushrooms, especially those seasoned with pizza style hot pepper flakes, would attract my patronage. In the US the delis charge 320B a pound and up for their delicious pickled mushrooms.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 14, 2006, 3:29 pm

Has anyone seen pickled onions?
I have sometimes seen a few late at night, along the small bar soi opposite the shopping centre! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 14, 2006, 3:48 pm

and not forgetting hard boiled pickled eggs. :wink:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » May 15, 2006, 9:41 am

Grandad wrote:The best Fish in Chips I've found (outside of Blighty of course) is in Bangkok at the Offshore near Soi Cowboy. Huge piece of cod in batter with a pile of chips, mushy peas (essential) and lashings of salt and vinegar. no ketchup, no mayo.

You Cannot beat it. It's even decked out like a 'chippy' - depressing and grey. But the food is good. As for Udon Thani, there are quite a few places serving pretty good f & c. But if you're ever in Bangkok, go to the Offshore.
George

It must have been a while since you have been to the offshore chippy ? The place is rubbish now, greasy food cooked in oil so old the rancid smell hits you as soon as you enter, and all served by uncaring staff. The fish and chips at Mojo's is way way better and you get clean and pleasant surroundings as a bonus.

Grandad
udonmap.com

Post by Grandad » May 15, 2006, 1:15 pm

"...greasy food cooked in oil so old the rancid smell hits you as soon as you enter, and all served by uncaring staff...."

Stop it you're making me homesick...

Geo

oldfield

Post by oldfield » February 2, 2007, 10:07 pm

valentine wrote:Back to the subject matter, fish and chips, well nearly. Does anyone know where I can get malt vinegar, in my mind essential with them. Also I have some beautiful mint in my garden and would like to make a mint sauce to go with the lamb chops?
Did you ever find your vinegar Val?

Also, back to topic, how's The Irish Clock for F+C these days?

southern belle
udonmap.com

pickled onions

Post by southern belle » February 3, 2007, 12:16 pm

Nong Khai Direct Import/Export has jars of pickled onions, chutney, also saw some jars of mint sauce. As far as pickled mushrooms, I make my own. Just search the net for recipe for pickled mushroom, easy; olive oil, some garlic and herbs,etc.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 4, 2007, 9:15 am

oldfield wrote: Did you ever find your vinegar Val?
try Tesco

:irked: :fart: :nosey: :guitar: :drunk: :love: :sleepy: :confused: :ugly: :badteeth: :freak: :guiness: :guiness: :pirate: :yikes: :cry: :wave: :fryingpan: :censored: :-# ](*,) =; :-& :-({|= :-$ :-s \:D/ :-k =D> :razz: :mad: :mrgreen: [-( 8-[ :| :lol: 8) ;) [-o< [-X :roll: :? :shock: :evil: :^o =P~ #-o :oops: :cry: :( :D

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”