UK State Pension, When in Thailand

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » November 1, 2012, 11:41 am

I understand that when i am sixty five (2017) i can defer my state pension (UK) if i defered for example three years i could have a lump sum (tax able) or the three years could be be used to make my mothly pay ment higher , also my pension would start at the rate of payments for 2018. I have to inform three months before my pension starts what my intentions are . One more thing i had to fill a tax return while living here with my address in Thailand so they are aware of me living in Thailand.

plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » November 1, 2012, 11:43 am

Sorry if i defer for three years my pension would be avaiable 2020 ,

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 1, 2012, 12:12 pm

plumbers wrote:Sorry if i defer for three years my pension would be avaiable 2020 ,
Be careful in 2020 the pension age for men becomes 66, they just might apply that and only credit you with 2 years. It isn't clear from the legislaion so far . This may help;http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pens ... lator.html
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 2, 2012, 7:49 pm

Below is a link to the draft consultative document which details the proposed new "statutory residence test" which is due to be introduced from April 2013.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/consult ... idence.pdf

The current criteria are at 2.1 on page 9.

The proposed new criteria starts at 3.0 on page 11 and proceeds from there.

Good luck.

It seems to have a pre-occupation with the employed, as opposed to the retired!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 3, 2012, 1:45 pm

Arjay's link is specifically about TAX RESIDENCY. Residency for State Pension is decided purely on days spent in qualifying countries (EU, and some other countries). Basically, you have to be resident for 6 months a year. I just found this link yesterday, must be new, because i researched this extensively in the summer. Previously was relying on the tax advice which would suit me better.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you ... te-pension

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 3, 2012, 9:09 pm

I find the stance of the UK Government on the state pension a little odd fiscally.

Given the much increased probability for the need of expensive medical services I would have thought that it would benefit the UK Government for its older citizens to be resident in and fall ill in overseas countries (especially if non EU) and to use those countries medical services.

While a few may be tempted to return if they become ill, I believe that the majority once settled overseas, would choose to remain in their adopted country of retirement.

I suspect that the UK Government is being rather short sighted; basing its position on short rather than long term cash flow budgeting.

This is my opinion only – I have no data or research to support it.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 4, 2012, 10:19 pm

Hmmm, I see where your coming from Jimbo. But my experience of looking at all sorts of government benefits that i might possibly get shows a recent policy of cracking down on paying anything to British citizens when abroad. Whether this is just a short term financial mugging or a deliberate policy is hard to know. The effects i see are either to force British citizens to stay in the UK (thus spending all these benefits inside the UK economy) or to pay for as much as possible from their own resources if living outside the UK.

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » August 24, 2015, 9:40 pm

If you are in receipt of the UK's retirement pension, or will will be in the next few years, and are planning to retire to a country outside of the EEA and the 16 specified territories, your pension will be frozen at the rate applying when you moved to the Land of Smiles because Thailand is not one of those territories.

A British expat pensioner whose pension has been frozen has started an online petition, addressed to David Cameron, with the aim of removing this injustice. You can sign the petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Pr ... ners/edit/

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 25, 2015, 11:21 am

rreddin wrote:If you are in receipt of the UK's retirement pension, or will will be in the next few years, and are planning to retire to a country outside of the EEA and the 16 specified territories, your pension will be frozen at the rate applying when you moved to the Land of Smiles because Thailand is not one of those territories.

A British expat pensioner whose pension has been frozen has started an online petition, addressed to David Cameron, with the aim of removing this injustice. You can sign the petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Pr ... ners/edit/
There DONE That, But He WON'T Take any Notice of us OLD Geezers 8-[ 8-[ .......But MAY Be worth a FULL Minute of your time.....Just in case HIS Consience Gets a *****.... [-X [-X [-X :lol: :lol:

broon97
udonmap.com

Post by broon97 » August 25, 2015, 11:51 am

Costs nothing but your time to sign up. Probably makes no difference but let's see!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 25, 2015, 11:58 am

broon97 wrote:Costs nothing but your time to sign up. Probably makes no difference but let's see!!
This.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 13, 2015, 3:47 pm

I've signed it too.

I came across this recently:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/a ... k-pensions

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » September 13, 2015, 5:06 pm

UK old age pensions are not worth a carrot now so by the time OT is old enough (70 years old will probably be the criteria by then) It will be worthless and that's if OT is even eligible for a pension seeing as I packed up working in the UK after 25 years. Since then OT's work has been confined to countries which are income tax free.
If eligible for anything and if OT actually makes 70 he will donate his frozen old age pittance to charity, help the aged or something like that.

OT............... \:D/

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 13, 2015, 7:09 pm

OT, the UK state pension does increase each year according to a formula. True that one has to wait longer before getting it these days, and that they have and do move the goal posts often. I would still rather have it, than not though, thank you.

Having just started to receive the state pension, it hurts that they then take the extra tax off my occupational pension. :(

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » September 13, 2015, 7:52 pm

You know arjay, OT has lost faith in anything related to UK state pensions, social security and the Inland revenue.
It seems that whatever you do to secure your financial future in the UK the IR will just come along and bite you in the ass just when you will need the money. I hear the stories of retired people having there hard earned lifetime savings taxed time and time again and that's after they paid tax on the earnings in the first place!
As for the UK state pension, it is unclear as to what kind of pension someone will receive in 20 years time, if anything at all. Still you are correct, if you can get your hands on the UK state pension then take it.
For OT, I will cash in everything I have in the UK when I retire and do what everyone says don't do, and that's burn my bridges to ever return other than as a tourist.

OT............... \:D/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 14, 2015, 11:59 am

WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROUTE EVEN TO THE EUROPEAN COURT AND GOT ABSOLUTELY NO-WHERE, what really irks me is that the State pension is tax free, BUT my other pension , the income tax was upped by Gdp 100:00, so I wonder whats bloody tax free then diminishes my state pension by almost 20% a month, now that is bloody unfair.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 14, 2015, 2:45 pm

KP, the UK state pension isn't tax free. It is part of one's taxable income, and if you have other taxable income that takes you over the Personal Allowance of £10600 (2015/16) then you will be taxed on the income in excess of £10600. They just aren't able to deduct tax from the state pension itself, thus they deduct it from your occupational pension.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » November 8, 2015, 1:09 am

When the state pension rises in April, probably by £3.35 a week and well above inflation, more than half a million state pensioners who paid for their pension for all or most of their working lives will get no increase.

They live in more than 150 countries around the world where the UK pension is paid but is frozen - it never increases with inflation..... http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... broad.html

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”