France: Americans / Brit Awarded Legion Of Honour

World news discussion forum
redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 24, 2015, 8:30 pm

France honours 3 Americans, Briton for stopping train attack.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/24/europ ... -shooting/

Would you jump a gunman to save others?

According to one French actor, the staff on the train actually ran away and hid in the engine compartment, leaving everyone else to fend for themselves. Talk about cowardice.
(CNN)They grew up together, fought off an attacker together and accepted a nation's honor together.

Three days after they pounced and subdued a gunman aboard a packed train, American childhood friends Anthony Sadler, Spencer Stone and Alek Skarlatos got the Legion of Honor -- France's highest recognition.

Fellow British passenger Chris Norman, who helped tackle the gunman, also received the award during Monday's ceremony at the Élysée Palace.

"By their courage, they saved lives," President François Hollande said. "They gave us an example of what is possible to do in these kinds of situations."

The four stopped a potential massacre Friday aboard the high-speed train headed from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to Paris.

"Three Americans and one Englishman ... you risked your lives to defend an ideal, the ideal of liberty and freedom," Hollande said.

Another passenger -- a French national who has not gone public -- also confronted the gunman and will be honoured at a later date.
Easy to disagree with the gunman's statement that he "found" the AK-47 in a park and "just wanted to rob people" on the train.

Because why bring 8 magazines of ammo for a stick-up?

In my opinion many lives saved. Best not to ride trains without guards from here on out.

---

Prediction: Now just have to wait for some chumps to come along into the thread claiming if we weren't such a war-happy state in the first place chickensh#t madmen wouldn't be trying to massacre westerners.

RW

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » August 24, 2015, 9:03 pm

I was listening to the head of Europol speaking early today and he was essentially saying to expect more this. France in particular has thousands of disaffected youth of mideastern and north African heritage and thanks to the mad idea of Shengen, these characters are free to wander unchecked across 23 European nations. Britain doesn't get everything right, but at least we kept out of Shengen and out of the Euro...

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » August 25, 2015, 8:23 am

Thank god these ISIS guys are inept c*nts can you imagine setting out to do a horrible act to find three old high school buddies smashing you in the head with you own rifle. God bless these three American guys had it been left to the reserved demure head set wearing arugula salad eating typical euro train passenger it could have been ugly and good on France for breaking out the highest medal for these guys.

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » August 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

the american gov should bestow some bravery awards on these guys too.

great team work & well done. nice hog tie too.
temptation is a .....

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 26, 2015, 7:56 am

No,thats not true ! What about Eric Cantona ? =;
He would have left a few stud marks on this fellow !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 26, 2015, 9:03 am

Even Cantona's attack at Palace was cowardly launching himself into the crowd. Maybe provoked but unnecessary just the same.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 26, 2015, 10:27 am

You are being a bit harsh on Eric,socksy.....jumping single handedly into the cauldron of hate that is Selhurst Park takes courage ! :-"
Hows about Joan of Arc ? She was a French heroine who would have tackled this bloke if she were alive today !
Sasha Distel,Charles Aznavour......they are both heroes to the French ! ;)

But well done to the 3 Americans and the English guy.Many people could have lost their lives if it wasnt for their bravery ! =D>
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 28, 2015, 9:21 am

socksy wrote:Even Cantona's attack at Palace was cowardly launching himself into the crowd. Maybe provoked but unnecessary just the same.
I was watching that game with my mate when the incident was shown. My mate asked "is that Kung Fu"? I said I didn't think so as Fergie wouldn't let him drink before a match. :-"
Alba gu bràth

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » August 28, 2015, 10:01 pm

Yes, these young Americans deserve this reward. As far as these sweeping generalizations about the French, there are the pinnacle of cowardice. These comments do not honor the UK and are best made face to face, not on a website. You have found your place outside the UK, please stay there, in the shadows where you belong.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

socksy wrote:French train, in France and every lilkihood that the staff were French. Historically the Frogs have never really been up for a fight.
The little Corsican, Napoleon, and his French troops seemed to have been up for a fight and kept much of Europe on the run for a decade or so.

Louis X1V in the 17th century demonstrated that the French could extend their power through fighting. And, during the First World War France was able to keep Germany at bay.

Maybe you have confused the French with another group.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 29, 2015, 5:48 am

"The little Corsican, Napoleon, and his French troops seemed to have been up for a fight and kept much of Europe on the run for a decade or so".

Until his trusty 'old guard' retreated in their masses at Waterloo. How long did it take for the armistice to be signed after they were invaded in WWII? Maybe I was being slightly harsh but these are just two examples of why there is this reputation.
Alba gu bràth

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

I wouldn't expect transport staff from any country to take on an armed man. There might be passengers as there was in this case better trained to do that. The speed of their decision making was awesome.

I trust the French authorities will benefit a lot from the terrorist getting taken alive.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » August 29, 2015, 9:30 pm

I've witnessed the 75 yr old union staff of a United Airlines flight dismember a passenger after he tried to sneak one out of the drink cart. I bet it's in the bad guys game book to stay clear of the drink cart.

Return to “World News”