parrot
udonmap.com

International Schools Udonthani feedback

Post by parrot » September 6, 2015, 10:00 pm

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 7, 2015, 1:55 am

peelieorion wrote:Although I am not based in Udon, I have tutored 2 students from grade 3 at Udon Thani International school. Although they could speak a little, their reading skills were non existent. This is a real worry as in my Mini E.P in Nongkhai, almost half the Grade 2 kids can read well. I did try to apply for a job in the school being Western qualified and having 20 years of teaching experience. However, they declined my offer to meet them informally or to show me round the school. the facilities look amazing but I would urge all potential parents to visit these schools unannounced on a Monday morning and judge the quality of teaching and learning for yourself.
FOOOOOOOOOOOO PAAAAAAR..YA TIT

Well buggar me backwards it appears there are more holes in this post then in my underpants of 23 years .. i have , as well as Papa highlighted the key word .

As far as im concerned listening to both friends who have enrolled their offspring in UIS ,,only the highest praise has been commented alas DM's kids are all working or in uni ... So lets not red too much into the OP rather strange post .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 7, 2015, 8:17 am

Im aware of 2 Expats who removed their children from this school, based on dissatisfaction of the standards

1 - Music Classes didn't have musical instruments, as no budget. ummm

peelieorion

Post by peelieorion » September 11, 2015, 6:50 am

No holes in my story at all and I thought a pretty balanced post. I'm talking of course about the New Udon International School opened about 15 months ago. I initially rang the school prior to opening to see if I could visit the school with the intention of applying. They would not meet me and when I rang again a week later they said they had filled all positions to which I responded that I though their P.R was substandard. As for the 2 students I taught, they live in Nongkhai and commute to the school. although they were beautifully mannered, facts are facts they were nowhere near the standard I would expect for a school which teaches classes of only 10 students The facilities look impressive on the website but all I urged was for people to visit and see if 200k plus is money well spent. Not sure why one or do are getting so defensive.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 11, 2015, 11:45 am

Same old story, money DOES NOT ensure you get good teachers and DOES NOT mean the school is good, often it is the opposite in this country. Just shows how bloody stupid some parents are.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 11, 2015, 12:38 pm

peelieorion wrote:No holes in my story at all and I thought a pretty balanced post. I'm talking of course about the New Udon International School opened about 15 months ago. I initially rang the school prior to opening to see if I could visit the school with the intention of applying. They would not meet me and when I rang again a week later they said they had filled all positions to which I responded that I though their P.R was substandard. As for the 2 students I taught, they live in Nongkhai and commute to the school. although they were beautifully mannered, facts are facts they were nowhere near the standard I would expect for a school which teaches classes of only 10 students The facilities look impressive on the website but all I urged was for people to visit and see if 200k plus is money well spent. Not sure why one or do are getting so defensive.

Did you apply for an advertised position? Perhaps applications were closed for the position. If there was not a position available why would they need to keep you informed of anything.

To judge the school on the tutoring of 2 students and their lack of English skills does not allow you, as what sounds like a disgruntled person, is not fair on the school or the current body of students.
Why you feel the need to push your biased views in an open forum is something I cannot understand. What is your thinking on advising people to visit unannounced on a Monday morning to see the standard of teaching.
The school is open for parents to visit and check it out anytime.
Leave the kids and school alone if you are not involved and have no affiliation.

peelieorion

Post by peelieorion » September 12, 2015, 4:17 pm

I'm just relaying my experience. I would like to hear your experience of the school. You seem to be defensive. This is a forum where people will have different experiences and opinions. How about telling us your thought and observations rather than critisizing my contribution.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 13, 2015, 11:36 am

peelieorion wrote: This is a forum where people will have different experiences and opinions. How about telling us your thought and observations rather than critisizing my contribution.
Very true. Parents will have different opinions about schools and it's good to discuss them.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 14, 2015, 7:00 am

Having first hand experience with the school, two of my children were attending classes, I know that most of the students who enrolled spoke, wrote and read very little English prior to attending. I would expect it may take a while for these students to be up to a reasonable level in English. The comments on the students from the the school from Peelieorion are reasonable however the informal declining of the job application hasn't got much to do with the thread.
The school is new and will have some teething problems but will be good for UdonThani in the future offering an enquiry based teaching method, International Baccalaureate, for those who want that option.

peelieorion

Post by peelieorion » September 15, 2015, 6:41 am

Fair point about my job application. I dealt at the time only with the school Thai administration so maybe their was a level of misunderstanding. The school can only be good for the future of Udon. The challenges it faces are huge as I'm sure many parents particularly foreign ones are not based in the country but are working abroad. this makes it a real challenge for the school. I have met the young American teacher also and was impressed with his commitment. I think the school needs more time to develop but should perhaps delay applying for accreditation for a couple of years and concentrate solely on maintaining and achieving very high standards for every student. Many parents with 200k will send their kids to a more established school so things like reading schemes, class displays do matter. I wish them luck. My E.P (the school I currently work in in Nongkhai) faces the same problems being new and having to compete against a more established E.P. Incidentally the school I work at has the only 2 qualified foreign teachers in the province, class sizes of 20, aircon in every class, fluent Thai English speaker in every class for the cost of 8000 baht a term. Good luck to UDIS.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: International Schools Udonthani feedback

Post by parrot » May 30, 2019, 6:12 pm

Some recent news on UDIS
http://www.udoninternationalschool.com/ ... ld-school/
very roughly 300k-400k per year all in

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Re: International Schools Udonthani feedback

Post by MusicalBars » May 30, 2019, 10:18 pm

easy answer to the 2nd question in the link above we can charge even more now