Mick's House Build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 27, 2015, 10:55 am

Hi All,
About a month ago my house in Nong Wua So commenced.
I designed the house, my mate a builder) drew it up in Australia, then the builder here drew it in Thai style.
I have had to accept some alterations but nothing drastic.
I was not here for the start, but have been here for a couple of weeks and will be around mostly till christmas at least.
Build is going well, but lucky I came over because a few changes that I made with the building contractor were not passed on to the site foreman.
I visited Barney and his build about 6-8 weeks ago and had a good chat with him.
I am following Barneys builb and Makkas on this forum and I know that I can expect all the same problems that they are having.
My builder speaks a bit of English, but what worries me is that my wife may have a 10 minute conversation with him and I get a 10 word explanation of what they were talking about.I am sure you all have that same general problem.
I am mainly concerned with the general construction, plumbing and wiring. Anything else that goes wrong won't be a major issue to fix, so i know I have to be flexible in the build here in a foreign country.
Anyway, it's a;; pretty exciting and I can't wait to have it finished
Mick
Attachments
20150927_083712.jpg
20150923_110243.jpg
20150921_153203.jpg
20150916_202415.jpg
1441357161210.jpg
20150927_103119.jpg
20150927_102112.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by Barney » September 27, 2015, 11:37 am

Good luck Mick,
Glad you have hit the ground running and things are progressing.

Looks like another different external style of house for UT.
Gotta keep these builders on their toes.
I'll drop over when get my R&R beginning Dec.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 27, 2015, 5:02 pm

Yeah Barney,
Your lace is looking great.
Be keen to come and have another look when you get back.
I think I will be here early December.
My place will be well advanced by then to, weather permitting. They are getting into it. I'm quite impressed.
Mick

waanjai
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by waanjai » September 27, 2015, 10:47 pm

Interesting design.
I have a question though concerning the rainfall runoff calculation for Your 7,50 x 6.00 m 45 m² hipped roof over the patio as to be seen on the plan
20150927_103119.jpg
1. What will happen when we experience again - during the rainy season - one of these horrible downpours?
2. Also take into account that there are three adjoining hip roof segments transporting rain into the patio - though at a somewhat lower hight.

These add to some big m² - and lots of rainfall runoff at times.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 28, 2015, 5:41 am

Hi waan.
good questions. Have thought about that but have not done any calculations. The house itself will have rain gutter all round. Patio roof water will fall on house roof. If too much ocassionally i suppose we all get wet underneath. Just have to wait and see. Will talk to builder about gutter size as well.
mick

maaka
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by maaka » September 28, 2015, 10:15 am

yes good luck Mick..welcome to the club
will be interesting to follow your progress

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 28, 2015, 7:42 pm

My crew are getting stuck into it.
I love it how one fella lives onsite in a makeshift tent setup, to prevent theft.
He's even got his own tv.
Cracks me up but I love it!!!!

Because of all the talk on pipework, can someone advise if this PVC pipe is OK?
Thanks
Mick
Attachments
20150928_180140.jpg
20150928_175956.jpg
20150928_175946.jpg
20150928_175310.jpg
20150928_175247.jpg
20150928_175220.jpg

waanjai
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by waanjai » September 28, 2015, 8:11 pm

Your pipework still seems to be a good standard. We used them almost 10 years ago and I see these still heavily used. Also in houses that use pumps to increase water pressure.

This is what You hardly see in modern concrete house buildings any longer: Old fashioned extreme waste water treatment:
20150928_175310.jpg
20150928_175310.jpg (35.5 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
In the long run you are ruining your own groundwater.
For those environmentally concerned these tanks are in use since long time:

http://dos.co.th/product/index.php?cat=17

Barney
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by Barney » September 29, 2015, 8:59 am

mickojak wrote:Hi waan.
good questions. Have thought about that but have not done any calculations. The house itself will have rain gutter all round. Patio roof water will fall on house roof. If too much ocassionally i suppose we all get wet underneath. Just have to wait and see. Will talk to builder about gutter size as well.
mick
Mick,

It was a good question from Waanjai about your storm water run off from the roof.
I'm sure you will have a solution, there a large guttering systems that should cope with the volume of water.
Not sure how much land you have but my question is where is you runoff ending up. Do you have a small dam, or into the local drain system?
I ended up wanting to save some rain water and buying a buried underground tank to store some run off for those dry periods we have. 10,000 ltr fiberglass tank purpose built from DOS. That will supplement the supply from town water in the future.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 29, 2015, 9:40 am

Barney,
I just went and spoke to foreman now.
We have heaps of land and out back is a few rai of mother in laws land growing casava and stuff, so plenty of room to send any extra water.
I am planning to put in a tank,(or 2) to catch our rain water because with such a large roof we will get heaps in wet season.
I will use rain water for drinking, (probably through filters but I know from home that is not necessary), and ground water for rest.
Oh, yes, my wife just told me we have no town water but ground water is good. (Amazing how something so not important slipped her mind) LOL:)
We just talked about how many down pipes we needed and he is all over that. He suggested running the down pipes into the ground and out into the field, but then I explained my tank plan and we agreed to talk more when the roof is on.

Barney, can you tell me more about those big gutters and where I can get them?

My builders all seem capable of all this and probably have planned it well, but with language barrier and little information that I get from my wife, (not her fault, just does not understand building), it's hard to know what coming.
Just really glad that I am over here for tis part of the build and can look every day.
It if fun talking to the foreman because he can't speak a word of English but I have no trouble explining what I want using drawings and sign language.
Also, very acceptable to whatever I ask. A bit of confusion between him and the building boss too.
All fun
mick

fatbob
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by fatbob » September 29, 2015, 10:26 am

Your pipe is the 8.5, wall thickness, it's perfect for the job.

Sport
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by Sport » September 29, 2015, 10:49 am

Mick, do you want me to bring up the 'Aussie Burger Sports Bar' work gang and give your mob a hand. The trouble is the piss will cost you more than the house lol. I am not a builders asshole, so cannot give you any advice, can only say it looks good so far and your from Victoria, Oz land and you hate AFL, met a lot of customers who have the same view.

Nice catching up in the bar yesterday, good luck mate, you and Barney will receive a free carton of piss on house completion, compliments of the bar. Great to see Aussies in action and helping each other.

Barney
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by Barney » September 29, 2015, 10:52 am

Mick

I am going through the process of guttering and Facia boards now.
Haven't chosen the type yet and other may be able to advise you, but one place you can start start is Home Mart on the ring road. Other major building suppliers will have other brands and system.

Home Mart do have the Windsor system which seems OK buy I am still looking.
Attached photos my girl sent me with a quote for different individual parts. It will give you a guide to prices around town. I am sure a discount for a full roof guttering system can be negotiated for what ever brand you choose.
Attachments
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 29, 2015, 11:59 am

Barney,
I drove past a place on Phracha Raksa rd the other day, and from the car it looked like they had a rack full of guttering.
It was just a little workshop type place.
I will stop and have a look tomorrow and let you know.
If they make it, maybe can do custom size, because I'm not sure that the stuff the hardware stores sell would handle the downpours here.
Mick

fatbob
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by fatbob » September 29, 2015, 12:27 pm

Personally I would use Shera not timber for fascia boards, I did on my house and 8 years later no issues, I would stay away from PVC guttering and stay with gal or zinc alum colourbond.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by kopkei » September 29, 2015, 2:21 pm

indeed do not buy plastic /pvc or zink , the plastic (even windsor) will crumble in a few years and the zinc will be rusted , i have the best experience with the stainless gutters , as no matter what gutter you put , the patio roof water will come on the roof and together they will flood your rain gutters , in our old home we have had smaller roof coming together and with heavy rainfall , they could not handle it .... maybe though they can make an extra big one in stainless?the one we've had was 6 inch i think...as info... ;)

waanjai
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by waanjai » September 29, 2015, 6:16 pm

kopkei wrote:indeed do not buy plastic /pvc or zink , the plastic (even windsor) will crumble in a few years and the zinc will be rusted
We have Windsor rain gutters for 9 years now, and no sign of crumble.
But they will be too small to effectively transport heavy rain from two roofs.
kopkei wrote:.... i have the best experience with the stainless gutters , as no matter what gutter you put , the patio roof water will come on the roof and together they will flood your rain gutters , in our old home we have had smaller roof coming together and with heavy rainfall , they could not handle it .... maybe though they can make an extra big one in stainless?the one we've had was 6 inch i think...as info... ;)
That is also my recommendation. Ask them to produce stainless gutters for the 3 roof-sides that come down to the patio area. On our house - consisting of 2 houses with one hip-roof - we have a somehat complicated hipped roof that needed so-called "internal rain gutters" which you don't see once the concrete tiles are laid. They were prepared to produce big size rain gutters in Udon Thani.
Last edited by waanjai on September 29, 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 29, 2015, 6:16 pm

Kopkei,
Thanks for that advice, but I just might go or Zinc until I find out if my gutters are big enough or not.

Barney,
I was able to visit that shop today. We actually found another shop on the same road, but they were not as good.
This shop make everything onsite.
They have two standard sizes as pictured.
I think I'll go with the bigger one and might request the inner vertical section longer as that is where the overflow will come from.
They said they will make custom size/design anyway.
Prices
Small Zinc 220Bht
Large Zinc 250Bht
S/S about 700Bht

All prices fitted including brackets, which I think is damn good!!!!!

If leaving Udon on Pracha Raksa Rd, they are about 100m before the Ring Rd on Left Side.
Mick
Attachments
20150929_160113.jpg
20150929_160128.jpg
20150929_160311.jpg
20150929_160526.jpg
20150929_160623.jpg
20150929_160731.jpg
20150929_161048.jpg
20150929_161237.jpg
20150929_161430.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by parrot » September 29, 2015, 6:27 pm

mickojak, be aware that the zinc gutter normally comes in two gauges. I'm not sure what the gauges are, but you may want to inquire before purchasing.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Mick's House Build

Post by mickojak » September 29, 2015, 6:49 pm

Yeah Parrot,
Thanks, I forgot to put that in.
What I felt was only about 0.6mm, maybe 0.8mm, but no more.
Like I said, they will custom make, so I'll be sure to request thicker when the time comes.
Mind you, I need to experiment with size mostly, as a lot of roof water is coming together quickly in the patio area.
So, not quite sure how serious to get with my first order??
Will be trial and error.
Not a huge expense anyway really. I am prepared to make a lot of changes just because I'm building in a strange country.
All part of the fun i suppose.
Mick

Return to “House & Land”