Found a decent lawn mower at last.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
businessman
udonmap.com

Found a decent lawn mower at last.

Post by businessman » September 30, 2005, 1:21 pm

After getting through several lawn mowers in a short space of time i have finally found a good one,it's got a Thai made body but with an American Briggs and Stratton petrol engine on top.I bought it at a shop on one of the roundabouts where tractors are displayed.The shop is on an adjacent corner and the mower cost 8000 Baht.
My English Black and Decker job lasted five minutes on two rai of tropical vegetation in the monsoon season.This American job just chops through very long wet grass which is exactly what you need at this time of year when you cannot always get out to cut.Image

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/displa ... ocID=67913

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 2, 2005, 1:15 pm

I know it's a desperately dull subject,but 35 bods have visited this thread so i will expand just for them.
The shop in Udon said the first oil change is at 20 hours and then at 50 hours.On browsing the web site for Briggs and Statton,the first oil change is recommended at FIVE hours.

Marcus(very dull but hopefully informative)

valentine

Post by valentine » October 2, 2005, 3:06 pm

I sat there laughing about your experience with the B&D mower, as I had one for 3 months without problems, apart from a motor burn out which they replaced free of charge, . Yesterday I went to cut my grass and the blade retaining nut sheared and the blade scythed through the air. I was aware what was happening, so took evasive action(Got the hell out of there) So avoiding a serious injury.The shop, Pro Tools, repair staff looked at it, and apart from laughing, did absolutely nothing. Apperently"Chun was out to lunch," this was 10am. I left it there and rang back later, at 4pm to be precise and he still wasn't back.
I insisted they advised the manufactures as this is a potentially lethal failure. Smiles all round, don't know what action was taken.Still haven't got a mower though.TIT

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 2, 2005, 5:06 pm

Found a customer service site contact page for B & D, might be a better route to report a product problem otherwise it may lose something in the translation!

http://www.blackanddecker.com/customers ... actus.aspx

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 3, 2005, 10:47 am

Val,by the time you get that mower back,a herd of elephants could hide in the grass and you would not know they were there. :)

Jimbo,do you think they might do a collection and delivery. :) For what it's worth:
1)Both bolts holding the handle to the plastic body sheared through the plastic.
2)The front axle broke.
3)The motot burnt out.
4)A wheel fell off.
5)The throttle played up and kept cutting out.

Good quality British product.Buy American,all steel and an engine that could fly a small plane.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 3, 2005, 5:56 pm

Good quality British product
Might have been sold by a British company, but where was it manufactured?

I've just had a quick look round a few items in my house and garage, and apart from the car (which is over 25 years old), I cant find anything mechanical or electrical that was made in Britain :(

Even my golf clubs say "head made in China", "shaft made in China", "assembled in USA" - hmm.. now, if I could only find out how they work :lol:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 3, 2005, 11:32 pm

JimboPSM wrote:Even my golf clubs say "head made in China", "shaft made in China", "assembled in USA" - hmm.. now, if I could only find out how they work :lol:
I aways found my golf clubs operate much better when powered by a nice scotch :wink:
Punish the Liver

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 3, 2005, 11:35 pm

Thai_1_On wrote: I aways found my golf clubs operate much better when powered by a nice scotch :wink:
As long as the scotch doesn't have 'made in China and assembled in USA' on it... :D

valentine

Post by valentine » October 4, 2005, 3:41 pm

Just got the B&D mower back today. They didn't have a new spare part so used superglue instead. Waiting for blade to shear off again. I used it this afternoon, didn't find any elephants, but disturbed a couple of snakes which cured my recent constipation problem, and the associated scream from the wife has shattered my eardrums, I believe.Now she's mahore when I don't hear her requests for shopping money. Every cloud has a silver lining. LOL

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 4, 2005, 6:01 pm

Was it really the scream or as I am told I have and that is slected tonal deafness.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 4, 2005, 7:02 pm

From Valentine
didn't find any elephants, but disturbed a couple of snakes which cured my recent constipation problem
Do you or other members already resident in and around Udon experience many of these cures for constipation where you live or in everyday life? :yikes:

If they are a major problem, what measures do you take to minimise them?

I assume if you let your garden become a jungle, the jungle animals will sooner or later decide to make it a home :(

valentine

Post by valentine » October 4, 2005, 7:43 pm

They are not a major problem but they are something you must be aware of. The recent visitors were a 4ft python, not particuarly dangerous and a thin, not much bigger than a biro but about 6ft long viper. Potentially lethal. Keeping the garden manicured is the biggest discouragement , do not leave buckets and the like upside down, if you do kick them upright first. Check your shoes inside before putting then on, scorpions are the danger here.
The locals have taught me how to distinguish a poisinous snake from another. Apparently the poisonous will not flee but raise itself and prepare to strike, whilst the other will make a quick exit. Not always true though as a few weeks ago I had what looked like a cobra in the house, it raised its hood and hissed like mad, scared the daylights out of me, not so a young boy who happened to be around, he calmly captured it and took it home to eat.It was a mock python that imitates its more dangerous cousin to deter predators.
Never take chances but if you do get bitten try to remember the colour patterns and describe it to the local clinic to be sure you get the correct antidote.The joys of Thailand!!

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 5, 2005, 11:21 am

Jimbo,i get about three snakes a year in the garden and get the village chief to come and kill them if venomous.

Val is spot on.Keep undergrowth and low bushes to an absolute minimum to avoid them making your garden their home.

Had the big black scorpion in the sandals many times.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”