Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » June 3, 2015, 9:37 am

Bigsnakes not a PROBLEM, the little ones you don't see until U step on it is the problem.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 16, 2015, 6:27 pm

I'll post here, as it's a fairly current thread, although if the identification is correct, the snake's not actually venomous.

Dogs alerted me to something in the garden and I thought probably the fairly regular small snake. I suppose I should have noted the dogs holding back a little, when normally they're in quickly to kill the thing. Then, out of plant pots, I see this 2 metre long, perhaps 5 cm wide, black thing 'striking'. Perhaps the biggest snake I've seen since living in Phen. No idea, at that point, if dangerous or not, so must admit to being apprehensive as I grabbed my long stick - and it was quite aggressive. Odd thing was this growling noise which I thought at first was the dogs, but reading up, seems actually came from the snake. Anyway, the snake was out of the garden as it slithered over a 1 metre high front wall. Drawn by the commotion, a neighbour appeared, found it, walloped it and took it away to cook! Yummy? :-k

Appears it was an Oriental Rat Snake or Ngu Sing Dong, able to strike and draw a lot of blood apparently, but not venomous. I can't be an expert on every kind of snake, particularly in the chaos which tends to occur, (often the look/colours of any species varies), so with young son, the stick is at hand. If fairly quiet and I can avoid the dogs, the snake has a chance of being lifted over the wall and away.

wphthai

Post by wphthai » October 18, 2015, 1:30 pm

found 2 of these in my 4th floor bathroom. I do believe they are Golden Tree Snake.
Attachments
Golden Tree Snake.jpg
found 2 of these in my 4th floor bathroom. Golden Tree Snake?

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » November 13, 2015, 6:34 am

I found this visitor under the garbage bin this morning. I haven't lived in Thailand long enough to be familiar with most of the snakes. Can anybody tell what kind of snake it is ?

Thanks

[img][attachment=0]Snake with yellow bands.jpg[/attachment][/img]
Attachments
Snake with yellow bands.jpg
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 13, 2015, 7:06 am

Looks like a yellow banded krait......highly venemous. We had a pair mating in our area a few years ago. The yellow was brighter.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 13, 2015, 7:16 am

Yes had Krait in my garden some years ago. Dogs are your best friend when it comes to snakes, snakes do not like dogs and tend to get out of way, however this krait like the Cobra wwe had had a few months before decided to bare all as it were, for one or two dogs it might have one BUT 6, it just stayed where it was, making it very easy to dispatch same to snake heaven , since then dangerous snakes have turned up, oh the odd few tree snakes a rat snake and the normal slithery innocuous type. Dogs are the watchers here.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » November 13, 2015, 4:30 pm

pf-flyer wrote:I found this visitor under the garbage bin this morning. I haven't lived in Thailand long enough to be familiar with most of the snakes. Can anybody tell what kind of snake it is ?

Thanks

It is Laotian Wolf Snake, not dangerous, but bites very fast.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/wp-conten ... nsis-o.jpg

I put a pic of Banded Krait to previous page and difference is that this snake has more wide black part of body and then about 1-1,5 cm yellow stripes. Mangrove Snake has very thin yellow stripes. Then individual Cobra can have yellow stripes, but usually grey.

The big difference between Laotian Wold Snake and Banded Krait is also head. Laotian has yellow stripe in neck and Banded Krait has like a black arrow in neck.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 13, 2015, 5:02 pm

Thanks for that info, eagle. I checked the photos I took of the mating yellow kraits.....indeed, they are different. When my friend and I saw the kraits several years ago....about 8pm, we had no idea what they were.....I just knew yellow bands. A quick google search let me to the right kind. Then I found a group in Indonesia that studies things like 'mating snakes' and emailed them a photo. They said it was very unusual to observe yellow kraits mating. Well, I can't say I've ever observed any other snakes.....mating. Have no desire to do so either.
Attachments
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » November 25, 2015, 6:59 am

Maybe need to get friendly with a soi dog or in this link,although in Oz,maybe cat for security 8)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 6&section=

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » November 27, 2015, 1:29 am

pomps wrote:Maybe need to get friendly with a soi dog or in this link,although in Oz,maybe cat for security
You don't need either dog or cat. Just do the same as this guy:
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » November 27, 2015, 1:22 pm

Had this little guy at the side of my house recently. At first we thought it was another fish snake which come around a lot, but when the dogs cornered it we realised it was a baby cobra. Hope there isn't a nest of them around. Zoom into the bottom of the stick.(I wasn't getting too close).
Attachments
1443079236085.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 27, 2015, 2:15 pm

thecroc4 wrote:Had this little guy at the side of my house recently. At first we thought it was another fish snake which come around a lot, but when the dogs cornered it we realised it was a baby cobra. Hope there isn't a nest of them around. Zoom into the bottom of the stick.(I wasn't getting too close).

Is it still alive???

My girl has sent photos and told me we have had 2 baby cobras in the last weeks. Less than a meter long. But since they are born ready to strike doesn't matter how long. Same worry though is where is mum and dad.
Both have gone to their next life.

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » November 29, 2015, 6:06 pm

Hey Barney
Even though I don't like to kill snakes, I'm afraid the wife wasn't letting this one live, especially with kids playing in the area. I have seen mom(or dad) in the area(view previous photo on this topic, several posts back), which was a very large spitting cobra.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 15, 2016, 9:28 am

This one didn't make an escape, but he will go to his next life.
No idea what it is ??? 1 meter long and unfortunately it was just inside the back door when spotted.
Last night on our cam talk she says its poison one.
Naturally she is worried there are more coming into the house.
Attachments
IMG_3760.JPG

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 15, 2016, 10:00 am

Im taking a guess at a checkered keelback or a kukri both non poisonous ,Thais will tell you every snake is poisonous,''it bite you,you die sure'' :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 15, 2016, 10:40 am

FLICKFLACKER404 wrote:Im taking a guess at a checkered keelback or a kukri both non poisonous ,Thais will tell you every snake is poisonous,''it bite you,you die sure'' :D
Thanks FF404,
She did say it di not raise it's head like the couple of cobra juveniles we have had the last few weeks.
Unfortunately once an unknown species of snake surprises you inside the house its time is numbered. If its out side another story and then it can be chased or transported to the bush.
I've told her to use some talcum powder spread at the doorway to see if something has crossed the doorway and entered the house.

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 15, 2016, 10:48 am

Barney good idea with the talcum powder,my mrs uses talcum powder to make herself look white :D shes also been known to sprinkle it on the back of toads hoping to see this weeks lotto numbers :mad:{mad as a box of frogs}see what i did there? :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 15, 2016, 11:50 am

FLICKFLACKER404 wrote:Barney good idea with the talcum powder,my mrs uses talcum powder to make herself look white :D shes also been known to sprinkle it on the back of toads hoping to see this weeks lotto numbers :mad:{mad as a box of frogs}see what i did there? :D
Actually as we are on the wildlife subject. I had an excavator digging out a large bamboo grove and he found a few of those turtles that can give a nasty bite if you shove your digit in the wrong place, the Aunty next door who has been known to take a swig or 2 from the white lightning bottle had the kids rush and get the talcum powder to expose the lucky number on the shell. Nothing won.
Back to snakes, my grandparents who lived in the Aussie bush would spread the ashes from the open fire at the doorway to show if snakes had ventured inside the old hut. Guaranteed not one of those snakes made it out alive. Old Pop and my dad always had a story about the outback wildlife during his rabbit trapping days.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » January 15, 2016, 9:25 pm

Barney wrote:This one didn't make an escape, but he will go to his next life.
No idea what it is ??? 1 meter long and unfortunately it was just inside the back door when spotted.
Last night on our cam talk she says its poison one.
Naturally she is worried there are more coming into the house.
Don't discount possibly a malaysian (russel) pit viper.

Did you notice the triangular 'pit viper' head shape. If so, not a friendly one, or one to get bit by. Just killed one the other day at the house.

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snales_common.html

About 51 types here, and 1/3 of them, you really don't want to get bit by, of which have, are extremely dangerous.

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 15, 2016, 11:09 pm

LA,hes in china so doubt he can identify it first hand,lets all calm down abit

Return to “Notice Board”