buying 1st computer in Udon

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
madpsyontist
udonmap.com

buying 1st computer in Udon

Post by madpsyontist » October 5, 2005, 1:44 am

Looking to buy my little cousins their first desktop computer; however i will not be in Thailand to go with them. Would like to find a reasonable place that will also install it for her if that is possible. Her parents are not computer literate and I'm not sure if she has taken any computer classes yet. The oldest is 11 and attends a private school in Udon.

I figure the sooner she can get a computer the better. If they dont know provide it at her school just yet, does anyone know of a good place to take basic/intro to computer classes for young kids. If so may consider sending her.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: buying 1st computer in Udon

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2005, 6:28 am

madpsyontist wrote:Looking to buy my little cousins their first desktop computer; however i will not be in Thailand to go with them. Would like to find a reasonable place that will also install it for her if that is possible. Her parents are not computer literate and I'm not sure if she has taken any computer classes yet. The oldest is 11 and attends a private school in Udon.

I figure the sooner she can get a computer the better. If they dont know provide it at her school just yet, does anyone know of a good place to take basic/intro to computer classes for young kids. If so may consider sending her.
Located on the 2nd floor, IT and phone market in the Robinson Complex about 4 shops up from the back corner is a a couple of guys who sell 2nd hand machines usually obtained from large businesses who are upgrading. 2 years ago I bought one for my 8yo for 3000baht fully tested and warrented for 3 months. NO WORRIES very friendly and helpful. I've been back many times with other business.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

madpsyontist
udonmap.com

Post by madpsyontist » October 5, 2005, 12:49 pm

thanks will definitely pass on the info to my family out there. wow, 3000BT that sounds great. did any software come with that?

Not having any kids myself just curious as to what kind of software to get for the kids at that age. I would love to find something to help teach them english especially since my thai is limited.

At that age are they too young to learn microsoft word and whatnot?

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » October 5, 2005, 1:57 pm

The hotest games going right now, that I know of are; Counter Strike, WarCraft III, and Half Life 2. The online games are Ragnarok, Pangya, MapleStory, Lineage II, Khan, and others. The oldest being 11 female or male makes no difference...PANGYA is the hotest for now (fantasy Golf Game which I play myself). There is a Barbie game I know and seen in the USA...haven't seen it here. If they both are girls then that would be the one to get for them, have seen the girls play a version of it online on website "madee" or something like that. What games are on the computer will most likely be played by them not matter what game it is, if they like they will play it.

Pop's :pirate:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2005, 2:57 pm

I think that Pop's is right, the important thing is to generate an interest for the kids and that probably means games!! As to moving onto the more productive (??) side of computing.....well the thing that drives kids in the UK is actually school work. So, specific computer classes aside, a lot of the course work for other classes is made 100% easier by using the internet to research project, word and power point to create the pupils work submission etc.. I'm at a bit of a loss to think how to get kids interested in this side of computing without someone else 'forcing' (in the nicest possible way :D ) a requirement on them. I think that this will be even more difficult to do this in a foreign language. In saying that I think that there are 'translation' programs available in Thailand that allows something like Word to accept Thai characters in and output in English (and visa versa) that might be a good way to start - the kids could then send you e-mails by typing Thai & you could reply in English.
Pop's have you seen/got any of these translation programs??

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » October 5, 2005, 3:27 pm

Yes, there are programs out there that translate from English to Thai and visa versa (the ladies on Thailovelinks, Megafriends and Asianeuro use it in some of the Internet cafe's).....but in order for me to use it, they had to install it in my computers. Me, I prefer software/applications that I can install, that way if something goes wrong with it, I can fix it myself. I don't remember the company's name but I am sure I can get it if you want it. Bob is also right about word, they will be doing alot of school work that will require them to use word and/or excel, so they will need a printer with that computer. I have seen word and excel user interface in Thai but I don't think it will have it in Office 2003, as that is what I have and the user interface is English. You can have Windows XP user interface in Thai and can download it from the internet, but ask the computer shop if they can install it for you.

Pop's :pirate:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2005, 3:48 pm

Thanks Pop's, nice, comprehensive reply...

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 5, 2005, 7:11 pm

Guys that is some excellent information. I will confess that I have never had a new computer since 1994. I have always bought refurbished and have never been disappointed. I did get one that had to be replaced but no problem on that.

Would be interested in obtaining one of those translation things if the ever put it on software. If anyone knows of such please advise.

madpsyontist
udonmap.com

Post by madpsyontist » October 6, 2005, 2:03 am

yeah thas great info. I'd like to do the english thing but i guess first and foremost is making sure that they have the ability to do their thai schoolwork. Sounds like Microsoft Office XP is the way to go for them. Do you know if you can actually pay someone to come the house to set the whole system up for them.

Also what do you recommend as far as internet? Is it better to have some kind of monthly service where you pay a fee or is there some kind of card like a phone card which you are alloted a certain amount of time. My concern is what they will be viewing online. At least if it is a card, their mom can be there and allow them internet access only when she is around.

yeah i believe your right about the schoolwork being the impetus for learning about the productive side of computing and also the point brought up about gaming, especially with regards to piqueing the younger ones (4 yrs. old) interest in computers. Anything she sees her older cousin doing she wants to do.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 6, 2005, 4:34 am

madpsyontist wrote:thanks will definitely pass on the info to my family out there. wow, 3000BT that sounds great. did any software come with that?

Not having any kids myself just curious as to what kind of software to get for the kids at that age. I would love to find something to help teach them english especially since my thai is limited.

At that age are they too young to learn microsoft word and whatnot?
Daughters machine was loaded with a bilingual version of MS OFFICE and the usual Windows 98 extras. The remainder of the hard drive was wiped --- no worries.
I have since upgraded the PC to W2K and Office 2K and my daughter at 10 now uses Word (lots of additional clip art was added to give her an interest) and learning to use Excel. Plenty of 'Dodgy' software and games available just a few stores away from the vendor.
Previous posts are correct. It's the games and 'Art' expression utilities which generate the initial enthusiasm. I might add Daughter goes to a private school which is well stocked with PCs and the students education starts from enrollment, I help out with home work etc. and a couple of new tricks but not so much as to confuse her or get her out of touch with her classes.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 6, 2005, 6:43 am

Below is a web site that I use to translate from English to Thai and visa versa

http://www.thai2english.com/

8)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 6, 2005, 7:24 am

Very good site Dakoda. Very useful.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Adding it to my "Favorites" list

Post by polehawk » October 6, 2005, 8:27 pm

Dakoda wrote:Below is a web site that I use to translate from English to Thai and visa versa

http://www.thai2english.com/

8)
Thanks, Dakoda. This is a great link for translating from English to Thai or Thai to English (including Thai script). =D>

madpsyontist
udonmap.com

Post by madpsyontist » October 11, 2005, 4:59 am

Bandung,

Just curious, which language do you typically communicate with your child in? Thai, Isan or English?

It may be presumptuos of me but I'm assuming your daughter is half thai.

Anyways, hoping to make it back to Udon in Feb. but we shall see. Thanks for the help.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 11, 2005, 5:54 pm

madpsyontist wrote:Bandung,

Just curious, which language do you typically communicate with your child in? Thai, Isan or English?

It may be presumptuos of me but I'm assuming your daughter is half thai.

Anyways, hoping to make it back to Udon in Feb. but we shall see. Thanks for the help.
I call her my daughter for ease of communication. She is actually my step daughter. TW and I have been together for some 5 years and married 4. They both have Perminant Aust. Residency visas although we spend the vast majority of our time in Issan.
Language!!! Broken English, grunts, growns and some semaphor but, at the end of the day it works and alot of fun. I don't think I will ever get a grip of Thai let alone Isaan.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 11, 2005, 6:24 pm

[quote="Bandung_Dero Language!!! Broken English, grunts, growns and some semaphor but, at the end of the day it works.[/quote]
Trust me Bandung that is the way it works from aged 10 'till 20 even if you are both born in the same country speaking the same language :D

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”