U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dead

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 14, 2016, 6:55 am

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 14, 2016, 12:28 pm

Will certainly be interesting to watch in the upcoming months how our dysfunctional government will handle this very important issue... his replacement.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 14, 2016, 1:23 pm

The Republicans want President Trump to make the nomination. I don't think the Chief Justice would be too thrilled at that possibility.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 15, 2016, 1:01 am

If Hillary wins, many believe she would appoint Obama. I don't think he would want to do it because he will be too busy writing books and giving speeches for half million a pop.

I wish they had enough sense to choose someone like this: http://www.judgenap.com/

Don't let his association with Fox News mislead you. Plenty of videos on youtube.com to help you better understand the man.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 15, 2016, 10:13 am

Obama has a constitutional responsibility to appoint a new SCOTUS judge.. In the Senate, McConnell has come out saying it should be held until the new President is sworn in.. I wish Obama could find a nominee that isn't uber left and instead find a moderate jurist that both parties could agree upon.. But, I'm sure it'll be Congressional deadlock..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2016, 11:24 am

Interesting commentary on the fight ahead and the potential future of the courthttp://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/opinion/anto ... pe=article

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » February 15, 2016, 11:32 am

Justice Scalia was found with a pillow over his head. I hope its was just a good dream and he thought it was Tata Young and accidentally suffocated himself. The politics are complete poison right now there is no reason why Obama would find a reasonable candidate to replace justice Scalia. We can use Obama's past selection as a guide to his intentions for the court. The court can function just fine without him until after the election.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 15, 2016, 1:09 pm

The body of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was taken to an El Paso airport Sunday afternoon and was being flown to Virginia after it was determined he died of "natural causes" and an autopsy was not necessary.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... t-heats-up

I heard the family and local judge refused an autopsy. Not sure if true. I think someone this important and in this position should have one regardless. It should be performed by the best in the country--Cyril Wecht comes to my mind.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 15, 2016, 11:55 pm

There are many sources out today stating he was found with a pillow over his head. Was the government involved? Maybe....I wouldn't put anything past men who murder children in cold-blood.

An autopsy should be required here. The citizens should know the truth.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 830372.php

Take your pick on the Web.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 17, 2016, 3:57 pm

Interesting potential chess moves for Obama:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/us/po ... d-gop.html

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » February 17, 2016, 11:44 pm

So the Ranch owner Mr. Poindexter where Justice Scalia was staying has clarified his statement about the pillow and said that the pillow was over his head as in above his head not covering his face. There is nothing to indicate any foul play the pillow conspiracy has just gone down the drain. I was hoping to have a juicy plot to make my Dem friends feel a little dirty about their willingness to snuff out old men while sleeping. After looking at the recent pictures of this fine man it does make a fella consider reaching for a water instead of another beer and possible a walk around a park (armed with a concealed weapon of course). RIP Justice Scalia

Jsell50
udonmap.com

Post by Jsell50 » February 18, 2016, 6:43 am

The Supreme Court Will Be a Disaster If a Justice Dies During a Republican Congress
By Jeffrey Rosen
November 4, 2014

On Friday, New York magazine's Jon Chait argued that the media has "wildly overstated the legislative importance of Republican Senate control" while at the same time understating its judicial importance. As he put it, "The contest to control the Senate is about one thing: whether Obama can confirm judges and staff his administration." A GOP Senate would spell "two years of likely gridlock," and "if a Supreme Court justice becomes incapacitated or dies, the judicial gridlock could become a Constitutional struggle."

Chait is absolutely right—and the possibility of a constitutional crisis is all the dramatic because there's no modern precedent for it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The Constitution doesn't require the president to fill a Supreme Court vacancy on any particular timeline. But since World War II, vacancies on the high court have not caused partisan gridlock. The closest precedent is then-Associate Justice Abe Fortas, whom President Lyndon Johnson nominated for chief justice; a Democratic Senate filibustered Fortas over concerns about his liberal opinions and close relationship with Johnson. There were Supreme Court deaths—justices Wiley Rutledge, Fred Vinson, Robert Jackson, Frank Murphy, and, most recently, William Rehnquist—but their seats were filled in a timely manner."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even in the pre-WWII era, when a much higher percentage of justices died in office, vacancies were generally filled with little delay. The rejected nominees of presidents James Madison, James Buchanan, Ulysses S. Grant and others fell for a variety of quirky reasons unique to their situation, not because of gridlock; in fact, those presidents generally faced a friendly Senate. John Tyler succeeded in having only one of his six nominees confirmed, but his party also controlled the Senate.
Supreme Court nominees are especially likely to be rejected for partisan reasons at the end of a lame-duck presidency. According to the Congressional Research Service, “Opposition to the nominating President played a role in at least 16 of the 34 nominations that were not confirmed. Many of the 16 were put forward by Presidents in the last year of their presidency—seven occurred after a successor President had been elected, but before the transfer of power to the new administration.”

"A day without learning is a day lost!"
Me!

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » February 19, 2016, 8:12 pm

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 20, 2016, 7:52 am

Streuth he makes Scalia sound like a nutjob. Maybe, despite his reputation, he was.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Jsell50
udonmap.com

Post by Jsell50 » February 20, 2016, 11:52 am

It is fairly easy to throw rocks at the dead, they don't throw them back!

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » February 22, 2016, 12:34 pm

Wow! I watched the utube what a sorry job that was. Reducing a man down to a couple of out of context quotes seem completely not funny to me. Justice Scalia was not afraid to put into writing what was unpopular his legal descents were bold, long and unapologetic. Reducing this man down to some choice quotes is the work of a comedian but nothing more.

Return to “Open Forum”