Carrying your passport on your person

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 20, 2016, 12:35 pm

Personally I don't think that is a wise idea so I carry a copy in my wallet, I have no idea if that will lead to a problem or not.

It would appear that it might have on Walking street.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896 ... paign=news

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 20, 2016, 1:04 pm

I would never dream of carrying my passport. I never have in 14 years here, and have only been asked for it once.
I told the policeman I don't carry it with me, that would be stupid. He seemed to agree and sent me on my way.
I have no problem with the police giving me a ride to wherever I am staying and producing it for them if they wish.
This subject crops up regularly, but have never met anybody who got into trouble for not carrying their passport.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 20, 2016, 1:24 pm

I carry only my drivers license which has my yellow house book number on it instead of my passport number, any time been stopped no issues presenting this. The same goes for hotels have often used my drivers license instead with no issue at all

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » February 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

My driver license only has my adress on the back side - not the Yellow Book number. Is that new?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 20, 2016, 1:39 pm

Had it on the last one too, they put in place of ID Card Number if you ask

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

I can't remember the exact wording.....but when I renewed my passport last, and received it in the mail back from the embassy, they included a small pamphlet.......one of the pieces of advice: Carry a photo copy of your passport rather than carry the real McCoy when out and about in a foreign country.
Never in 19+ years have I been asked by police for my passport. The few occasions when I am asked.....banks, for example, I show them a copy of my photo page and that always satisfies them.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 20, 2016, 3:58 pm

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/1 ... als-found/

Oh dear, it is obviously flavour of the month.
It is a pity that the intel beforehand does not match the zeal of the actual raid.
100 officers, everyone tested for drugs, nothing amiss.
Rather wasted effort for extremely poor publicity as far as attracting tourists to the country.. :(

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 20, 2016, 4:02 pm

You can get a your passport copy made into a laminated card
Something I have seen and have thought was good idea
Might get around to doing it, but I do have a drivers license which has passport No on it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

I would imagine they thought they would find a lot over stayers and it appears they had very little luck. That seems to be the flavor of the month. I have never been asked for my passport by a policeman here. They still pretty much not bother with us in Udon. When we are traveling the hotels seem to be happy with the copy. I do take it with me once a month to withdraw money.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 20, 2016, 4:36 pm

I would imagine they thought they would find a lot over stayers and it appears they had very little luck. That seems to be the flavor of the month. I have never been asked for my passport by a policeman here. They still pretty much not bother with us in Udon. When we are traveling the hotels seem to be happy with the copy. I do take it with me once a month to withdraw money.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 20, 2016, 8:00 pm

all eyewash and possibly when taking a detainee to their home or hotel to get their "passport" perhaps discussions took place?? I remember the police and Immigration doing this type of huge sweep in BKK a few years ago.. Something like 140 people apprehended but after taking most of them to their hotels/homes found only three actual visa violations..

AS for carrying your passport despite assertions from Immigration commander that carrying a copy of the facepage and visa page is OK, I'd imagine as in most things it would be "at the discretion of the apprehending officer." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... commander/
Dave

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 20, 2016, 10:43 pm

It has been said for years that Thai authorities and organizations would rather take an ID-card with portrait photo than insist on a foreign produced passport.

The Thai Driving License even contains more than a passport:
On the front it has the Passport number, on tne back it has the formal residence address (same as in Yellow Book or Immigration certificate of residence)

So normal police as well as banks are accepting the Driving License since many, many years.
Passports are only required in contact with Immigration Police and they are the only one that can really read the visas, permission to stays, Re-entry permits, and visa exempt stamps.
Hotels are also happy with Driving Licenses as these contain the Passport numbers that they have to report to local Immigration as part of their 24 hours reporting.
For domestic flights check-in you can use the Thai driving license. :D

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 21, 2016, 6:06 am

I don't carry a passport on me, but do have a Thai driving licence. Posts here have reminded me that the passport number shown on the latter is actually my old one. A copy of the passport is in the car.
It just doesn't seem very sensible to me to carry your passport around with you. The thought of loss, theft (and rapid deterioration) and the hassle/cost of obtaining a replacement is enough for me.
If my driving licence is insufficient to appease the police, then it should be a starting point for checking me out more fully, if necessary. Even in Thailand, using Immigration as an example, there should be enough technology to confirm I'm a good 'un! :lol:

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » February 21, 2016, 7:40 am

I do not carry my passport also. I just do not want to take the chance of losing it. I carry a photocopy of my passport pages including copies of my visa and visa extensions pages and a photocopy of My yellow book pages in my wallet with my Thai drivers license. The only times I have been requested to present my passport is when my wife and I preregistered at the hospital and at the Bank and at Immigration.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » February 21, 2016, 8:15 am

I have pictures of my passport in my phone. This was inspected at a military checkpoint outside Udon last month. Very good Sir was the reply.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 21, 2016, 12:04 pm

Wonder where the next location will be. Again they came up with nothing and some were transported to the Chaing Mai Police station. The article says for processing, whatever that means in the end. Doesn't seem to be a one off thing. What gets me no over stayers?

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/1 ... als-found/

Photo in the phone good idea.

I ran into it to day at Bangkok Bank, long story. But, the ATMS machines are not accepting my New Pen Fed Debit Card. I contacted Pen Fed nothing wrong with the card. So I took it inside for a clerk to get money for me. She wanted a passport I gave her my copy and my drivers Lic. She wouldn't take it manager would. Some times simple logic does work here.

The article that was posted was from 2014, do we still have the same Chief of Immigration. We were not as I recall under military control. Wonder what the law really says. I'm going to try to find it just to know for myself.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 21, 2016, 12:24 pm

This is the most recent thing I could find and it ain't good news. There is a 2,000 baht fine for not having the original on you, So maybe that is what processing means. I found lots of other things saying a copy was OK But, none cited a source, We do have a new Sheriff in town, easy way to raise money. We all know there are over stayers here. But, look where they are checking expensive tourist spots. That isn't where I would expect to find an over stayer.

http://www.samuitimes.com/hua-hin-immig ... rrying-id/

Wonder if this has anything to do with what seemed to just come out of the blue. Something tells me they are not using 100 personnel and assault weapons to do a bar check.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 21, 2016, 4:11 pm

bumper wrote:This is the most recent thing I could find and it ain't good news. There is a 2,000 baht fine for not having the original on you, So maybe that is what processing means. I found lots of other things saying a copy was OK But, none cited a source, We do have a new Sheriff in town, easy way to raise money. We all know there are over stayers here. But, look where they are checking expensive tourist spots. That isn't where I would expect to find an over stayer.

Wonder if this has anything to do with what seemed to just come out of the blue. Something tells me they are not using 100 personnel and assault weapons to do a bar check.

I rather pay a fine than have to replace lost or stolen passport. Replacing one is more than twice the fine and much more when you include travel expenses.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 21, 2016, 4:22 pm

bumper wrote:This is the most recent thing I could find and it ain't good news. There is a 2,000 baht fine for not having the original on you, So maybe that is what processing means. I found lots of other things saying a copy was OK But, none cited a source, We do have a new Sheriff in town, easy way to raise money. We all know there are over stayers here. But, look where they are checking expensive tourist spots. That isn't where I would expect to find an over stayer.
Frazee posted the link earlier...
Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.
FrazeeDK wrote:all eyewash and possibly when taking a detainee to their home or hotel to get their "passport" perhaps discussions took place?? I remember the police and Immigration doing this type of huge sweep in BKK a few years ago.. Something like 140 people apprehended but after taking most of them to their hotels/homes found only three actual visa violations..

AS for carrying your passport despite assertions from Immigration commander that carrying a copy of the facepage and visa page is OK, I'd imagine as in most things it would be "at the discretion of the apprehending officer." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... commander/

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 21, 2016, 4:41 pm

Disregard my last post, I didn't read the article in SAMU Times...

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”