QUICK Bus BKK-Udon?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
peanut

QUICK Bus BKK-Udon?

Post by peanut » February 24, 2007, 7:30 am

Probably been asked before - anyone KNOW (no guessing, please) [-X if there is a QUICK bus from Morchit (BKK) to Udon? We've recently been to Udon and the bus journey was very slow (stopped at every imaginable bus station along the way). Is there a direct service to and from BKK that doesn't stop every few minutes. A bus company name would be nice, and more important - how many hours the trip takes. Any useful info would be much appreciated - thanks kindly.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 24, 2007, 8:59 am

I can't help with the bus situation,but have you considered taking the overnight train?Sleep right through and arrive refreshed and ready to go!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 24, 2007, 10:12 am

407 VIP bus company takes approx 7-8 hours and stops at each major city i.e. Khorat, Khon Kaen etc. They give you free snacks and drinks and usually put on a movie. I don't think there will be a direct bus service so maybe the train sleeper would be the best option, or better still Nok Air (1 hour).

ttom
udonmap.com

Nearly hourly services

Post by ttom » February 24, 2007, 4:26 pm

peanut wrote:Probably been asked before - anyone KNOW (no guessing, please) [-X if there is a QUICK bus from Morchit (BKK) to Udon? We've recently been to Udon and the bus journey was very slow (stopped at every imaginable bus station along the way). Is there a direct service to and from BKK that doesn't stop every few minutes. A bus company name would be nice, and more important - how many hours the trip takes. Any useful info would be much appreciated - thanks kindly.

From Morchit 2 to Udon Thani you can use nearly all around the clock several bus companies running VIP busses either directly to Udon Thani, Nong Khai or other northern destinations. VIP busses are all blue and do not stop that often but around 2 to 3 hours for a short break and swap drivers.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 24, 2007, 5:31 pm

Have a look on here p-nut... http://www.transport.co.th/Eng/HomeEnglish.htm
times cost and routes.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

ttom
udonmap.com

Mini bus service

Post by ttom » February 25, 2007, 5:10 am

There used to be and probably still is a mini van service I've used once only some time ago.

The mini vans startet near Baiyoke /Indra Hotel, Phrathunam, Bangkok but not Mor Chit 2 and went up to Udon Thani with full speed, stopped just once just for toilet and on time for also for food.

With 6 passengers it was OK. I've been talled that they usually take up to 10 passengers, which would have been impossible for me. I am well above Thai standard size and have had a large piece of luggage with me.

I just prefer the VIP bus to mini vans. Big busses I found more comfortable. And the better views are another plus.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 25, 2007, 1:43 pm

The 407 VIP Starts from Nong Khai and ends up in Rayong, it's always overbooked so they use plastic stools for passengers placed in the isles for part of the journey.
The new buses on the route are very nice, with toilet and TV showing western movies dubbed into Thai. Longest stop off is about 20 minutes to have a meal, where you get a discount voucher. If you going to Pattaya the bus stops on Highway 3 and does not go into the city. baht buses and motorcycle taxi will whisk ex-pats, mongers, tourists, and Thai's into the city.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 25, 2007, 2:25 pm

If you have a choice - use Chan tour company
To compare with 407 company - its like 407 is economy class and Chan tour is business class.
All take aprox 8 hours

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » February 25, 2007, 3:15 pm

Paul wrote:If you have a choice - use Chan tour company
To compare with 407 company - its like 407 is economy class and Chan tour is business class.
All take aprox 8 hours
I have heard good things about Chan from many others.

Personally - I would avoid taking a bus like the plague. To me, all the bus drivers are suicide jockeys.

Going by air - though a lot more expensive - is the better option, at least for me. Every taxi driver I have had in BKK drives like a saint compared to the bus drivers. :lol:
Ain't Easy Being Me

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » February 25, 2007, 3:43 pm

Paul wrote:If you have a choice - use Chan tour company
All take aprox 8 hours
yes 407 is crap
chan is very good, V.I.P double decker coach,two seats on the right hand side and one seat on the left hand side,big seats with 3 settings for massage.movie and snak,stops in kk and korat.
book bus early as its often full..

if flights are full its the way to go.

ticket udon bkk

opebo
udonmap.com

Post by opebo » July 22, 2007, 12:57 am

Can anyone post a schedule for Chan Tour? Are their VIPs only night buses or do they depart periodically throughout the day? I'm thinking of taking one from Khon Kaen to Bkk in the early morn.

ttom
udonmap.com

Post by ttom » July 22, 2007, 5:59 pm

opebo wrote:Can anyone post a schedule for Chan Tour? Are their VIPs only night buses or do they depart periodically throughout the day? I'm thinking of taking one from Khon Kaen to Bkk in the early morn.

Just call Chan Tour directly and ask.
You can also book (sometimes) by phone:
Chan Tour Tel. 0 2618 7418, 0 4241 2195

Bob4you
udonmap.com

Post by Bob4you » July 25, 2007, 11:04 am

I recently took the Chan tours VIP bus to BKK, booked 2 seats in back which with aisle substituted for a bed. I slept faily comfortably for 6 of the 9 hours. I took last bus, leaving at 10pm arriving 7am. Certainly large comfortable bus much better than "blue bus".

erikr_
udonmap.com

Post by erikr_ » July 25, 2007, 5:38 pm

they go all day long from 8 in the morning on the hour

Return to “Travel & Transport”