Only in Thailand ..maybe NOT .

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 5, 2016, 7:00 pm

Just when you think youve seen it all here .... a swarm or plague od fire flies hatch out and attack all bright lights in the Nadee area ,,, abandon ship we cried and TUTTH is in darkness until they buggar off .. millions of the little blighters , an early night is on the cards .

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » March 5, 2016, 7:01 pm

termites?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 5, 2016, 7:08 pm

dunno havent asked any of them yet

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 5, 2016, 7:51 pm

As quick as they came they have all now done a runner or a flyer ..disappeared WTF .. twas the biggest invasion ive seen other than when Scunthorpe play away at the codheads. Im sure this was mentioned in another thread before just this was a huge amount zillions of em .

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 5, 2016, 8:05 pm

Mrs. Shado says they are แมงเม่า (maaeng mao), loosely translated to "pounded green rice bug" also called แมงเม่าขี้หมา (maaeng mao kee maa) "dog turd pounded green rice bug". She says they are a small termite species that begin to swarm with the onset of hot weather. They've certainly made their presence felt.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » March 5, 2016, 9:09 pm

I've seen them once before, it's like a biblical plague! When they reach their destination they dump their wings which cover the floor.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 5, 2016, 9:35 pm

Usually Means RAIN is on the way.....

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 6, 2016, 2:18 am

Got them last night , millions , but usually get them after the first rainfall , maybe different variety this lot ,iv'e been here awhile and this is a first for me without rain ,

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 6, 2016, 5:58 am

These are smaller than the ones who normally follow the rain, it is sort of kamikaze, rain - fly - die, glad I am not one of them. trick have warm white lights inside and daylight lights outside they go for the daylight lights.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 6, 2016, 10:47 am

neeemu wrote:I've seen them once before, it's like a biblical plague! When they reach their destination they dump their wings which cover the floor.
They certainly do ...did ... what a blooming mess this morning zillions of wings all over the place .
Hoopoe wrote:Got them last night , millions , but usually get them after the first rainfall , maybe different variety this lot ,iv'e been here awhile and this is a first for me without rain ,
Are you anywhere near the airport Hoopoe ? ... same first time ive seen them without rain and in such huge numbers , i did start to count them but gave up at 21 ,, and put mi socks back on :shock:
Khun Paul wrote:These are smaller than the ones who normally follow the rain, it is sort of kamikaze, rain - fly - die, glad I am not one of them. trick have warm white lights inside and daylight lights outside they go for the daylight lights.
They loved the flourescent lights on the bill boards nearby us and out side our place , quickly turned all our lights off to stop the kamikazee carnage .

Along with them came the frogs and Chingchoks who had a feast

DM

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

I was in the Phang Khon Market, about 100 km. from here on Friday night. They swarmed the place for maybe 20 minutes, then left as quickly and mysteriously as they appeared.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 7, 2016, 7:09 am

Are you anywhere near the airport Hoopoe ? ... same first time ive seen them without rain and in such huge numbers , i did start to count them but gave up at 21 ,, and put mi socks back on :shock:

[
No Where near the Airport, trick i learnt is to turn off all the house lights , and switch on the gate lights that way they all go down to the gates and there's no mess to clean up at the house next day ,

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 7, 2016, 8:17 am

Yes I understand them to be termite ants, which swarm and look for new homes periodically. We've noticed them more around April - June time, when it's hot and rain or a storm likely.

As suggested above,. we shut all the windows, turn off all the house lights, put the front gate lights on and then when they have re-located to the gate lights, we turn those lights off and they go to the street lights.

I have heard (on Udonmap) of people rigging a light(s) over their pond to provide food for the fish.

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » March 19, 2016, 1:50 pm

They swarm at this time of year every year. In Laos & Cambodia people put bowls of water or sheets under fluorescent lights to catch them, and fry them up as a snack.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 25, 2016, 12:49 am

Was just about to ask how many you caught and ask if you used mazola or palm oil to cook them :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”