Krabi / Ao Nang

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ajsp9
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by ajsp9 » June 21, 2016, 5:01 am

Looking to do 10 nights in Krabi / Ao Nang over Christmas- I'd welcome experiences on travel and accommodation if anyone can assist please.

I've looked, briefly, more research to do, on travel and see there are several options - fly from UTH to BKK or fly to Phuket

Also we are after a near beach / shops hotel in a good area, around 3000bht per night( we are on holiday) so appreciate any recommendations if you can.

noosard
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by noosard » June 21, 2016, 8:20 am

Why fly to Bangkok
Air Asia flys direct to Phuket daily
Krabi is only 1-2 hours from Phuket

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by Marcosteffano » June 21, 2016, 8:39 am

Fly direct with air Asia book early then cheaper.loads of hotels on agoda,if you like fishing try gillhams fishing resort just outside ao nang.best beach is rai lay but need a boat to get there.

udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by 12345 » June 21, 2016, 9:24 am

Or, why to Phuket if going to Krabi ???

Though personally, Krabi is one of my least favorite beach destinations in Thailand, along with being one of the most expensive, and at Xmas..........good luck.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by stattointhailand » June 21, 2016, 10:01 am

12345 wrote:Or, why to Phuket if going to Krabi ???

Though personally, Krabi is one of my least favorite beach destinations in Thailand, along with being one of the most expensive, and at Xmas..........good luck.
Coz Ao Nang Airport hasn't been built yet :-"

Have to agree with your thoughts about Krabi though, but if OP is happy to pay B30,000 for 10 nights there he obviously doesn't care about being ripped off :roll:

BTW be careful about some of the 4 & 5* resorts that are advertised as Krabi but are 20 min drive from anywhere exept their own beach/bar/food supplies.

udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by 12345 » June 21, 2016, 10:17 am

At least Krabi airport is about 40 mins away (26), though it is a lovely drive over from HKT..... 2.5 hrs (150 kms) :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fantom
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by fantom » June 21, 2016, 12:20 pm

fly Air Asia direct to Phuket, stay 1 night in Phuket town, take big boat ferry to Ao Nang or Railay http://www.phuketferry.com (this involves transfer to big long-tail at Noppharat Thara). We like Sand Sea Resort at Railay West but it starts at about THB5000 at Xmas. Any hotel there can arrange your onward transfer to Krabi town or airport.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by Zidane » June 21, 2016, 1:03 pm

This is the best hotel in the Krabi area,situated on Railay island.
However,prices for the Rayavadee start at 10,000 baht per night which is slightly more than you wish to pay,I think.....but don't be downhearted as breakfast is included in the price ! ;)
Rayavadee hotel,Railay.jpg
Rayavadee hotel,Railay a.jpg
Rayavadee hotel,Railay b.jpg
Failing that the Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort is a lovely hotel with rooms starting at around 3,500 baht per night.
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

wazza
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by wazza » June 21, 2016, 10:01 pm

Recently spent a week down there and Ralay is lovely, ( Feb )

Ao Nang is a good place to base yourself for a few tours, ( who hasn't done the 3 Island , Beach and Snorkel boat tour ? )

Ralay, for me, get a long tail boat out there daily for 200 ? and chill there, lots of nice places, but as OPs have said, Xmas time, it will be full !! and in Feb the Chinese / Korean Tours still operating and if you haven't seen 100 selfie sticks in a 50 meters , be prepared

fly to Krabi, and multiple taxi / shuttle services

Many hotels do the shuttle run

Bluevotel ? looks a great place there, walking distance to the beach and restaurents, and has shuttle / airport pick up

747man
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by 747man » June 22, 2016, 6:15 pm

Zidane wrote:This is the best hotel in the Krabi area,situated on Railay island.
However,prices for the Rayavadee start at 10,000 baht per night which is slightly more than you wish to pay,I think.....but don't be downhearted as breakfast is included in the price ! ;)
Rayavadee hotel,Railay.jpg
Rayavadee hotel,Railay a.jpg
Rayavadee hotel,Railay b.jpg
Failing that the Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort is a lovely hotel with rooms starting at around 3,500 baht per night.
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort.jpg
But The Rayavadee Is Your REGULAR Hotel, Ain't it andy ?? :D :lol: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by stattointhailand » June 22, 2016, 7:54 pm

747, don't be too hard on Andy, you know very well that it's the only one in the area that has a heliport for him to land.
They are also very discreet about his midnight skinny dipping partys in their pool :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by Zidane » June 23, 2016, 8:38 am

My goodness,Ronald Koemans personal chauffeur is back in town ! :D

Actually,I have been to the Rayavadee but certainly not as a paying guest ! :yikes:
I was staying on Railay about 15 years ago (my accommodation was nearer 1,000 baht a night) =; Anyway,I met this Swiss couple who were staying at the Rayavadee and they invited me over at night for a meal.
The accommodation,grounds,pool etc.were fantastic but more suited to the Beckhams of this world than me !
The Swiss couple were perfect hosts,even more so as they paid for the meal ! However,I do have to admit that I gave the waitress a 500 baht tip :-$ (peanuts in these places)
I've lost touch with the Swiss couple over the years but if I ever saw them in Udon I'd certainly treat them to a slap up meal in Fuzzy Kens ! :D
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by ajsp9 » July 1, 2016, 2:31 pm

Many thanks for ALL replies - useful set of comments

I've now decided its too expensive to go to Karbi, its a ---- place to go, and my family don't deserve a beach resort break at Christmas. Therefore, we've provisionally booked a songthaew to take us to a luxury 5 * massage tent around Nong Prajak for 10 days and will report back if its any good.

Really pleased I've saved some money but can still be near water over the Christmas break.

sunwavessand
udonmap.com

Re: Krabi / Ao Nang

Post by sunwavessand » June 15, 2018, 7:52 am

Same with fantom's recommendation, I've booked a ferry through phuketferry. The booking and trip was seamless. I don't know but even after so many years, I still get fascinated by Thailand's beach destinations!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 15, 2018, 9:13 am

The Krabi airport has been expanded several times and is now an international airport. Taxi and bus service to Ao Nang is easily available.

I normally stay at the Ao Nang Beach Resort. It is directly across from the beach. Long tail boats to Railay are a short walk from the hotel. Free breakfast is included and the breakfast is excellent. Rates are very reasonable but they vary with the season. Certainly MUCH less than 3,000 baht any time. Maybe the best location in Ao Nang.

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

Post by Soonsoon » June 17, 2018, 11:20 am

I had 8 days in Centara Grand at Krabi 2 years ago and highly recommend it, private beach, excellent staff jacuzzi over looking the sea, cannot fault.

Return to “Travel & Transport”