What's up with CTH

General Udon Thani topics only!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » March 2, 2016, 4:12 pm

stattointhailand wrote: It takes a lot of time to get there, but its worth it in the end :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's hopeful. My wife acquired another telephone number somehow in all the chat and tried again today. Seems nobody fancied the ride from Udon to Phen, because when my wife mentioned she'd be in Udon at an office tomorrow, the response was "we'll pop a new box round to said office on a motorbike". I hope that proves he case and not a Thai promise. [-X

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » March 3, 2016, 3:45 pm

Excuse me flogging this, but wish I understood wtf was going on.
The good news is that we got the new box and all channels back, promised free for one year. The bad news is, apparently, that I'll only get reception via my big mesh dish until the end of the month. Then, I need to have a small, solid dish back with a modified band. Talk about going round in circles. The reason I got rid of CTH for GMMZ (one and the same anyway?) in the first place was because of poor signal via the small dish and no service guy available. ](*,)

747man
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by 747man » March 3, 2016, 3:50 pm

socksy wrote:Is this you coming out of retirement Statto or did you get tired and bored being a recluse?
Well He had to do something to ease his pain of watching The Toon,FALL Away !! :lol: :lol:

kubotatim
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by kubotatim » March 3, 2016, 4:47 pm

just dump them and get True, much better in my opinion and yes I have tried both.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » March 3, 2016, 7:10 pm

I had True too for many years, which is a fair bit more expensive. Although the latter doesn't bother me much, True lost the football rights and watching games, if really only my team, is one of my priorities. I appreciate football is not your interest. As it is, True may regain the rights next season, although I gained the impression CTH would get coverage one way or another. We'll see.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by kubotatim » March 4, 2016, 8:05 am

There is premier football on my true now, but as you say not my interest, so no idea what they show.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by stattointhailand » March 4, 2016, 11:56 am

socksy wrote:Is this you coming out of retirement Statto or did you get tired and bored being a recluse?
No socksy, not out of retirement, just trying to add up to date info to a confusing topic :D and also trying to avoid the sponsors advertising on threads that are nothing to do with their "sponsors thread" (that's the ones where everyone has be nice to them regardless of how bad their service is :roll:)

I too had true for about 4 years, but ditched them (whilst they still had the footie) due to the rubbish they were offering being so overpriced :evil: At the time I changed to Home cable I got just as many channels that I didn't want to watch, the misses got all her soap/music channels and I had enough left over to buy 3 "free" beers a night at the sportsbar whilst watching the footie there every Sat and Sun \:D/

kopkei
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by kopkei » March 4, 2016, 7:00 pm

strange how some people still want pay for those expensive pay tv providers , true , cth what ever ,as anything to look or download is available at the net .... :-k

socksy
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by socksy » March 5, 2016, 5:28 am

"No socksy, not out of retirement, just trying to add up to date info to a confusing topic :D and also trying to avoid the sponsors advertising on threads that are nothing to do with their "sponsors thread" (that's the ones where everyone has be nice to them regardless of how bad their service is" :roll:)

I know exactly where you are coming from Statto. On another note, I'm thinking of coming out of retirement, getting my boots out and heading to SJP as the majority of the playing staff aren't fit to wear the jersey. Oh! and Manager included. :oops:
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

kubotatim
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by kubotatim » March 5, 2016, 7:47 am

kopkei wrote:strange how some people still want pay for those expensive pay tv providers , true , cth what ever ,as anything to look or download is available at the net .... :-k
???? why, we don't all live in towns with excellent internet, my air card is fine in the mountains but would soon cost far more than my true payment.Horses for courses??

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » July 6, 2016, 1:30 pm

OMG, here we go again! CTH notified on screen that the Ku band would be discontinued from 1st August and that further info on compensation/arrangements would be forthcoming from 15th June onwards. Nothing yet! Can we anticipate the same chaos as before?
After GMM-Z packed up, had a new box provided free, had to change my dish to the small, solid one (had one spare) capable of receiving Ku (the big mesh one I had was for C band) was promised free for one year from March 2016. Now what? - new box, change dish yet again, will any new deal include EPL for new season? Have actually had reply to emails this time - but only told me 'wait'. No good 'phoning if past experience is to go by, unless you've several hours to hold on. What a pain in the rear.

This does seem a case for the Office of Consumer Affairs, or whatever it's called.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by stattointhailand » July 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Look on the bright side Brian, at least we had 3 years of Prem footie at less than a third the price that TRUE were charging 10 years ago :roll:

Charlieb
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Charlieb » July 6, 2016, 8:37 pm

I don't know if this is the correct place

I discontinued CTH satellite service about 2 years ago. They never came and collected the two boxes I have or the dish. If anyone thinks they can make use of these items I would gladly give away for free. The dish is still on the roof.

PM me if interested

nbm47
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by nbm47 » July 6, 2016, 9:30 pm

Sorry for you guys but CTH is going down the plughole, after sacking most of their staff, leaving only senior staff to run
what remains. As of 1st August CTH will no longer be in business and have already stated themselves that no EPL bid was
made for 2016/2019 seasons. Like Charlieb I opted out 2 years ago after finding what the situation was then. Paid too much for the footie rights I'm afraid and bit off more than they could chew especially on a 899 baht per month charge to
the customer. Just look at what True charged (1568 baht) and only paid the FA. 1/3rd of the price that CTH paid, not to
mention Astro in Malaysia who charge similar to True.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » July 7, 2016, 4:41 am

Thanks for the heads up nbm47. I should have researched a bit more. The report seems to say it all. http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... al-whistle

No wonder they haven't provided any info on line yet! :lol:

scooter
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by scooter » July 7, 2016, 12:09 pm

Wow - this news has been around for quite some time! I'd reckoned no-one was particularly concerned about CTH (again) going to the dogs, seeing as there was nothing here until quite recently. People that we know have already turned to other sources for their tv channels - mostly as the KU channels are gone at the first drop of rain..... :-" and it's the rainy season, too, so hardly worth the bother of trying to look at them, is it.... :-&

Not at all surprised they're folding - they've totally b*llsed things up for a long time - with no info, can't get thru on the phone and the general disinterest shown to their customers. Good riddance. :badteeth:

I'm (we're) in the same boat and have been looking at other alternatives, mostly internet tv. Haven't found anything suitable, as yet - but there's no real hurry, as we don't watch a lot of tv - and the wife already has a few internet channels (Thai) that she watches.

If anyone has any info about internet tv that has any or all of the Fox channels (Fox Action, Fox Movies. Fox Thai, etc) then I'd appreciate being told - thanks.

Cheers - and have fun!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by Brian Davis » July 7, 2016, 1:20 pm

It was only earlier this month, I think, that CTH actually posted about the discontinuation of the Ku band.

Thinking of alternatives, I used to have True. Maybe I've my 'knickers in a twist', but True used (still?) the small,solid dish (yes, I'd prefer the large mesh dish - C band reception? - which appears to avoid problems when the weather is poor.) Doesn't small dish = Ku band? Large mesh = C band? If CTH disappears altogether, which seems highly likely, then I'll need a new provider for my living room tv, particularly for EPL, but also movies, news, music.

If you're thinking more internet tv, Scooter, have you looked at iLikeHD. com (TV for expats)? I only used it on a few occasions for football, but it was good.

scooter
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by scooter » July 8, 2016, 6:40 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one.

socksy
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by socksy » July 8, 2016, 8:00 am

scooter wrote:Thanks, I'll take a look at that one.
450 baht a month for ilikeHDTV Thailand with great sports coverage. Top up with true money at 7/11 shops - you cannot buy 450 but buy 500 and your account accumulates.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

scooter
udonmap.com

What's up with CTH

Post by scooter » July 9, 2016, 6:46 am

Nice - but it looks like we'll have to skip this one, as they state on their site that a minimum of 5MB internet connection is required (for a stable picture). We still have copper cables here :confused: - and a max of 3MB internet. There's talk of new cabling being installed, but that's been going on for years, so we're not really expecting any changes at all....

Well, it was worth a try......thanks.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”