Overstay

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ianrodders
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by ianrodders » July 6, 2016, 1:00 pm

Hi all anybody know if you can still pay for overstay at bangkok airport ?
Cheers all

rick
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by rick » July 6, 2016, 5:18 pm

Yes, but if too long you may get a ban on returning .....

samuel
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by samuel » July 6, 2016, 9:30 pm

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by FrazeeDK » July 7, 2016, 11:11 am

guess it could be a real tough situation.. If you turn up at the airport expecting to depart on a flight and you're an overstay, you could get arrested and put into detention and eventually deported and banned from re-entry for the specified time based on the length of your overstay... Or, they might just make you pay the fine and let you fly...
Dave

skinner
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by skinner » July 7, 2016, 11:37 am

You should be able to pay at the airport if less than 90 days overstay. Just don't get arrested before surrendering.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by stattointhailand » July 7, 2016, 11:39 am

There is a similar notice on Udon Immigration website. I Think that I would "surrender" to Udon Immigration and get it sorted BEFORE trying to leave the country. At least if you have any problems you have people to contact in Udon who may be able to help :-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by Zidane » July 7, 2016, 11:49 am

If you haven't overstayed too long (maybe up to a couple of weeks) I wouldn't worry too much but if you are 90 days or more you should be aware of the new crackdown that started on 20th March 2016.
If you already have a flight ticket for leaving Thailand that should help,though.

From Thai Visa......
"BANGKOK:– New tough penalties for foreigners who overstay their visas come into effect today (March 20th).
Under the new rules anyone who is found to have overstayed their permission to remain in the country can expect to be blacklisted and barred from re-entering Thailand.
The new rules regarding overstay have been well publicised since the plans were first revealed by Thaivisa.com back in 2014.
Previously foreigners were charged a 500 baht penalty for each day they overstayed, up to a maximum of 20,000 baht. However, Immigration bureau chief Pol Maj Gen Natthorn Prosunthorn, had previously called the fines “weak”.
It was not uncommon for foreigners with several years overstay to pay a 20,000 baht fine to Immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airport before returning to Thailand just days, sometimes even hours later.
In case you are not aware of the new rules (where have you been?), from today, overstayers will be divided into two categories: those who hand themselves in and those who are arrested.
If you surrender yourself to police with more than 90 days overstay, you will be banned from re-entering Thailand for more than one year.
An overstay of more than one year will result in a 3 year ban, more than 3 years will be a 5 year ban and overstay of more than 5 years will result in a 10 year ban.
However, if you are arrested and found to be on overstay the penalties are more severe."
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by mathusalah80 » July 7, 2016, 2:47 pm

[quote="Zidane"]If you haven't overstayed too long (maybe up to a couple of weeks) I wouldn't worry too much but if you are 90 days or more you should be aware of the new crackdown that started on 20th March 2016.
If you already have a flight ticket for leaving Thailand that should help, though.

I am curious Zid,
Do you, or any member, have knowledge of the 'official' penalty/ies for 'annual' visa holders, reporting late, or simply failing to report, under the 90 day reporting requirement?

Barney
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by Barney » July 7, 2016, 3:23 pm

ianrodders wrote:Hi all anybody know if you can still pay for overstay at bangkok airport ?
Cheers all
Many things not known here Ian

answer is yes you can pay at the airport.

BUT

Do you have a visa?
What type?
or visa exempt?
How long is your overstay?
Do you have a good reason?
etc etc etc

Any or all of these questions/answers will determine your punishment if any.
You need to notify immigration, the clock is ticking for you.
Can be 5000 fine plus 200/day till you advise them.
or
Can be 20,000 fine and 500/day, read imprisonment as a possible addition if you reach this stage.
or
If you tell them now with a good reason and the overstay time is short then maybe nothing and just go and apply TM47 extension.

Good luck

fogeyes
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by fogeyes » July 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

Barney I don't think it's 20000 and 500 a day.I think it's 500 a day to a maximum of 20000

skinner
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by skinner » July 7, 2016, 4:32 pm

As far as I know, the only changes to the overstay rules are the new rules regarding blacklisting if overstay is over 90 days.
Below that I believe it still a fine of 500 baht per day up to a maximum 20,000 baht

fatbob
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by fatbob » July 7, 2016, 4:33 pm

It doesn't matter why, it's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen, it's 500 per day until maximum of 20,000 baht as fogeyes states, I would sort it in Udon as they could drag it out at the airport meaning you will miss your flight. The blacklist time depends on the length of overstay, simply something you don't want to do anymore unless you do not plan on returning.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by Zidane » July 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

mathusalah80 wrote: I am curious Zid,
Do you, or any member, have knowledge of the 'official' penalty/ies for 'annual' visa holders, reporting late, or simply failing to report, under the 90 day reporting requirement?
You are allowed to report up to 15 days beforehand or 7 days after your 90 days is due.
This,below,is from the Thai Immigration website.......

"The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case"
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

eagle
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by eagle » July 7, 2016, 7:54 pm

Paying at Suwa is ok, but...

Do not go there by bus, because a routine road check can change to a nightmare.
Do not go there day before, because hotel informs details to Immigration. Also evening out means possibilities to be asked to show passport. Again nightmare.
Hope that there is nothing strange happened in BKK, like a bomb somewhere, again checkups and nightmares.

Just a few examples, but it can be anything, one can be cheated, robbered or lost his things. All those means to contact police and that means to be arrested.

My advice is to go and solve this at Udon Immigration. Not trust good luck.

Cost for paying days at Udon Immigration is same as in Suwa. No reason to play games with luck. Of course 127% of us have done that and had no problems.

samuel
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by samuel » July 7, 2016, 8:33 pm

my assessment is the following:
  • if you "surrender" to a immigration officer at suvarnabhumi airport with an airplane ticket leaving thailand the same day, nothing else will happen except that you pay your fine (500 per day, max. 20'000) and get your ban for reentry depending on the length of overstay. hard to say how long this procedure will last. go there early not to miss your flight.
  • if you're caught on a bus or train by the royal thai police, you'll be arrested and transferred to bangkok immigration detention prison. there you'll stay until somebody will bring a airplane ticket for you and pay the fine. hard to say how long it will last until you'll finally deported.
  • if you "surrender" to a immigration officer around thailand without a airplane ticket to sort things out locally, you might face a lot of questions and unwanted trouble.
IMHO, the best is to surrender at the airport while leaving thailand by plane.

remember: overstaying is not a cavalier offense, it's a legal crime (as it is in most countries around the world.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by Khun Paul » July 8, 2016, 6:31 am

Any overstay can lead to major problems, it does as others have stated the responsibility of the overstayer and a cavalier attitude to it could bring incarceration for a lengthy period uintil the matter is sorted.
My advice is always go to your home town Immigration department and talk to them admit your error and pay the relevant fine.
Hoping to go from anywhere to the International airport could bring into the clutches of the BIB who are not so forgiving and after their actions you could miss your flight and have to fund ANOTHER ticket being a bit difficult as will probably be in the detention centre.

So if your overstay is less than 90 days trot along to the IO and talk with money in pocket and deal with it , take your ticket with you and they will know you are leaving, you may get banned from re-entering for a year oir so , but that is better then locked up pending removal.

best advice talk to Immigration every time contritely . when on overstay.

rick
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by rick » July 8, 2016, 10:26 am

One other thing - if paying off overstay at airport make sure you have one extra hour before your flight - some people have been delayed at immigration and have missed there flight. Then screwed - need to buy new flight but need to run immigration gauntlet again as well.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by fatbob » July 8, 2016, 11:38 am

ianrodders asked the question, plenty of reply's but not a word from him, strange!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by Khun Paul » July 8, 2016, 11:55 am

No surprise there, probably feels head down and just go is the best option.

vlad
udonmap.com

Overstay

Post by vlad » July 8, 2016, 2:26 pm

Yes you can i paid for a 3 day overstay at Swampy in January this year for 3 days I paid Tbt 1.500 so yes its 500 a day.

Return to “Travel & Transport”