DID ANY FARANG GET AN IDP with a Thai licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Post by dtammakhung » July 26, 2016, 6:28 pm

Is it possible for a farang to get an IDP with a Thai licence in Thailand?

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » July 26, 2016, 6:42 pm

Short answer is "NO"
The reason as I was told in Texas is that the IDP was developed after WW2 and certain countries agreed to have an agreement for an IDP and Thailand was not one of them
Hope this helps
Ding

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 26, 2016, 7:51 pm

My wife and I have had 2 IDP's since moving here more than 10 years ago. We used our Thai DL to get them at the DL office in Non Soon (sp). You cannot use them in Thailand or the country which issues them which is the rule no matter where you get an IDP. We rented a car in Europe on one trip 2 years ago and another in the US just last year. However, your Thai DL is perfectly acceptable on its own by car rental agencies in Europe and the US. Both my wife an I are US citizens (she Thai-American) retired and living on retiree visas here in Thailand.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 27, 2016, 5:58 am

Just got my Thai Drivers license last week.
I got it through Smart Drive Driving school.
Whist there my son he asked about a International Drivers license.
You can get one & it is valid for the UK & lots of countries.
If you contact Smart Drive they will give you the full details.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 27, 2016, 6:47 am

Yes you can BUT if your British you cannot use it in the UK as you are deemed to have a UK D/L and if not you are probably banned because of motoring offences or age related reasons.
This came about as you could years ago, go to say Germany get a driving Licence if you worked their, get a IDP and then go back to the UK , even if banned and drive legally, so they put a stop to that practice of circumnavigating the law.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » July 27, 2016, 7:46 am

I don't know about the rest of the US, but California law specifically states that an IDP is NOT valid. A Thai driver's license is, however, as is a valid driver's license from any foreign country:

>>The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.<<

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 27, 2016, 8:22 am

pal52 wrote:Just got my Thai Drivers license last week.
There is no genuine International Drivers license, though you can buy something that claims to be one. It is not a legal license in any country. Some police officers do not know that and may accept it.

If you have a 5 year Thai licence then you can get an IDP. Many countries will accept your 5 year Thai licence with no IDP. Many countries do not accept the 2 year (was a 1 year) license and you can not get an IDP with one.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 27, 2016, 8:51 am

A International Drivers Permit by itself is not a legal drivers license. It is essentially a translation of you valid drivers license. When stopped the IDP should be presented along with your valid foreign drivers license.

Since most of the info on the Thai license is in English, a IDP may not be necessary or required in some US states, but I always carry one when in the US to avoid any potential problems.
UFF DA!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 27, 2016, 5:16 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
pal52 wrote:Just got my Thai Drivers license last week.
There is no genuine International Drivers license, though you can buy something that claims to be one. It is not a legal license in any country. Some police officers do not know that and may accept it.

If you have a 5 year Thai licence then you can get an IDP. Many countries will accept your 5 year Thai licence with no IDP. Many countries do not accept the 2 year (was a 1 year) license and you can not get an IDP with one.
As I stated above why not contact Smart Drive & they will tell you what is legal & what is not.
You are talking about Permit & License.
They will tell you exactly what you can do with a Thai license & what country's it is valid for.
You do not have to get one from them only listen to the the advice which I am sure will be correct.
They told me my IDP from Phuket was illegal.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 28, 2016, 6:13 am

And just what does Smart Drive charge for this service?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 28, 2016, 6:31 am

Jello is absolutely CORRECT an International Driving Permit ( commonly called licence ) is in fact a legal document supplied by any country which states that the issuing country has seen a VALID Driving Licence and that the driver named therein is entitled to drive vehicles specified on it.
Some countries will accept it some may not likewise the USA some states will some not. It is NOT permission to drive and you should always carry your issuing countries D/L to back it up.
Here one has to be more careful; as they have two licences one for Cars etc and one for motorcycles so you may need two .
An IDP is not permission to drive just a document that states you can drive.
As for Smart drive well I will say nothing, but I would talk to the Land transport Office on the KK road they will give you the definitive and have the necessary legal Government stamps etc.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 28, 2016, 7:33 am

fdimike wrote:And just what does Smart Drive charge for this service?
They charge 2,000 baht for the drivers license.
For this they do all the paperwork & you can do the reaction test. colour blindness test etc at Smart Drive.

They then take you to the Government Licensing office on the Khon Kean road to get your photos taken & do everything for you at the Government Office.

You must go to the licensing office in person with them.

My son inquired about the IDL so not sure of the price but they clearly stated they do not issue the IDL only the licensing office can issue that & that is why the ones from Phuket are illegal to use in Thailand.
That is why I said contact them for the price & they will give you all the information required to get a IDL from the Government Licensing Office.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » July 28, 2016, 4:20 pm

I have my IDP issued by the AAA in Australia in front of me now. It is issued according to the convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September, 1949.
It clearly states on the cover "IMPORTANT-This permit is not valid for driving in Australia"
It has 5 grades for which the permit is valid.
A Motor Cycles
B Motor Vehicles with a weight not exceeding 3.500KG etc.
C Motor Vehicles with weight exceeding 3,500 KG
D Motor Vehicles used for transport of passengers, more than 8 seats.
E Motor Vehicles of categories B,C or D, as authorised above, with other than a light trailer.

They stamp as Valid those categories that you have a licence for and Not Valid for those that you do not have a licence for.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 28, 2016, 4:31 pm

I am on my second 5 year Thai DL. I just wanted to know what they charged to get an IDP. BTW an IDP is always illegal to use in the issuing country. Our IDP clearly states not valid for use in Thailand. Additionally, as another poster stated an IDP is merely a translation of your - in this case -Thai DL. Our Thai DL on its own was accepted at car rental agencies in the California and Italy.

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Post by dtammakhung » July 29, 2016, 4:01 am

wow thread long already with many good experiences in farang getting an IDP in Thailand. Thanks very much for all replies. I'm on a 60 day tourist visa. Will get my driver's licence then DIP. Will use it in MALAYSIA, INDONESIA, PHILIPPINES, LAOS, CAMBODIA. Malaysia always asks me for an IDP. I've also read in Sumatra, INDONESIA they also ask to see an IDP, STRICT ON IT. What is the law and what the police ask for not always the same. was reports that farang could not use their thai licence in Laos , Malaysia, Singapore - but thai citizens can. so thus the need for an IDP for farang. often police accept an additional official documents even if not required. have read nude the Geneva convention theIDP not required in countries which are signatories to it, which Thailand is, but still in Udon and Malaysia I was asked for an IDP

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 29, 2016, 11:07 pm

pal52 wrote:
fdimike wrote:And just what does Smart Drive charge for this service?
They charge 2,000 baht for the drivers license.
For this they do all the paperwork & you can do the reaction test. colour blindness test etc at Smart Drive.

They then take you to the Government Licensing office on the Khon Kean road to get your photos taken & do everything for you at the Government Office.

You must go to the licensing office in person with them.

My son inquired about the IDL so not sure of the price but they clearly stated they do not issue the IDL only the licensing office can issue that & that is why the ones from Phuket are illegal to use in Thailand.
That is why I said contact them for the price & they will give you all the information required to get a IDL from the Government Licensing Office.
You seem to be confused about the difference between a driving license and an IDP.

The Thai Deparrtment of Land Transport has never issued an international drivers licence (IDL) and will not issue one to you.

As I stated in brief and as has been explained in more detail by others they will issue an international driving permit (IDP) which is a translation of your driving license and you must carry both.

To be eligible to get an IDP you must have a full (5year) license. They will not issue it if you have a temporary (2 year) license.

All the above information is from the directly from the DLT

If you have bought an international drivers licence from anywhere then it is illegal to use in Thailand and every other country. As has been said if you have a local license (Thai) then you can not use an IDP issued in Thailand in place of the Thai license.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 29, 2016, 11:15 pm

dtammakhung wrote:wow thread long already with many good experiences in farang getting an IDP in Thailand. Thanks very much for all replies. I'm on a 60 day tourist visa. Will get my driver's licence then DIP.
I think you mean IDP and sadly you will not be able to get one for at least 1 year, more probably 2years after getting your first Thai license. Also the license issued to someone on a tourist visa is a temporary license and you can't get an IDP with that one.

When it comes time to renew your temporary license if you have a Non-O visa at that time then you should get a full 5 year license and with that you an get an IDP.

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Post by dtammakhung » July 31, 2016, 11:45 am

I have had a one year license, then a five year licence that expires in 2017 - but I lost it. now in penang to get my 60 day tourist visa. anyone got any idea what I can or can not get. lost my thai 5 year motorcycle licence, but still have my thai five year car licence expiring in 2017, same date. but now only on tourists visas. got my 5 year thai licensees by virtue of my work permit which has long since expired. do I feel lucky

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Post by dtammakhung » July 31, 2016, 11:45 am

I have had a one year license, then a five year licence that expires in 2017 - but I lost it. now in penang to get my 60 day tourist visa. anyone got any idea what I can or can not get. lost my thai 5 year motorcycle licence, but still have my thai five year car licence expiring in 2017, same date. but now only on tourists visas. got my 5 year thai licensees by virtue of my work permit which has long since expired. do I feel lucky

Return to “Travel & Transport”