Udon Immigration

General Udon Thani topics only!
retired
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by retired » July 15, 2016, 2:52 pm

parrot wrote:Any more reports of not having to wait 30 days (after applying) for a retirement visa? That'd be welcome news......and put Udon Immigration in line with most all other immigration offices.
Did my retirement extension on 13th - No 30 day under consideration. Spoke to an english guy who was there at the same time, same for him.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by pf-flyer » July 28, 2016, 1:43 am

Did my retirement O-A visa extension yesterday morning. In and out in about 20 minutes or less. No 30 day waiting period. I had all of my documentation, a letter from the bank and photograph all in order with a map to my house. Smiles and great service. No complaints.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Brian Davis » July 28, 2016, 5:49 am

Excuse me pf-flyer, paid 1900 baht only and received a receipt? If so, the scam appears to be at an end.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Airportwo » July 28, 2016, 9:45 am

Extended my retirement last week, done on the spot with no extra's required for immediate service as per previous year :D

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Hoopoe » July 28, 2016, 3:51 pm

marriage extension this morning , outside the bank SCB 8.30am for letter confirming monies etc , into Immigration 9.05am few in queue but was on my way out 10am all done and dusted ,as an extra i asked about the need to report the death to immigration , they stated it's a must ,also they wanted 4 copies of everything ,passport , passport pages, death cert etc , i had the passport with me but insisted i get all the neccessary paperwork copied for them ,,,,,,so looks like i'll forget about it ,

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Udon Immigration

Post by wokkawombat » July 28, 2016, 3:56 pm

Going to get my residence letter for 5 year licence renewal tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what the charge will be. As an aside the licence/land transport office at AEK assured me that I only need 1 letter and a copy for a 5 year renewal for car and bike.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

fdimike
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by fdimike » July 28, 2016, 4:25 pm

There "Should Not" be a charge for the residence letter.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Airportwo » July 28, 2016, 5:16 pm

There was a 500 baht "fee" a couple of months back for residence letter!
I got a medical certificate for the new license but that was Not required,

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by FrazeeDK » July 28, 2016, 5:20 pm

there's not supposed to be a charge for transferring retirement extension/re-entry permits from an expired to a new passport either.. When the wife did that a bit back the younger very polite girl stated with a smile, "500 baht".. The older Immigration officer processed it all and said, "500 baht!" This despite my briefing the wife on if they asked for money to say, "if you want the money you've got to give me a receipt..." Of course, she didn't get a receipt and rolled over and paid the 500 baht.... Everything was done quite quickly, efficiently and with smiles all around while I slowly steamed.. Not worth a head butting with the wife for her folding when dealing with the bureaucracy...
Dave

bumper
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by bumper » July 28, 2016, 5:45 pm

Funny just a few days ago the PM said he would punish those who over charged. They obviously know we are only going to complain amongst ourselves May have been in the Bangkok Post I don't remember.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by fdimike » July 28, 2016, 9:07 pm

My wife and I refused to pay the 500B fee for the Residence Letter for our 5 year DL renewal unless we were given a receipt. They told us there was no receipt so we asked to speak with the supervisor who admitted that there was no charge for the service. According to him the 500B fee was to buy lunch for the interns. :lol: :lol: Then the excuse was changed to we don't want to trouble you by visiting you at home. We told them no trouble just tell us the date and time. The visit occurred as scheduled and the next day I picked up the residence letter without paying anything.

My wife and I went to get our IDP in September last year for an impending trip to the US and was told we need a Letter of Residence from Immigration. That quickly changed after my wife pointed out that we were not asking for a new license just an IDP based on our 5 year license. I believe the cost was about 500THB each and we were provided an official receipt for the payment.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Airportwo » July 29, 2016, 12:19 pm

Is it worth questioning paying 500 baht? for me no, when I moved here many years ago I knew I was moving to a country that was not squeaky clean! possibly that was one of the attractions! Corruption is here to stay, its endemic and will take a lot more than a few expats to sort it out!
I want a stress free easy life and if paying a few baht helps - so be it :)

joepai
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by joepai » July 29, 2016, 3:04 pm

Airportwo wrote:Is it worth questioning paying 500 baht? for me no, when I moved here many years ago I knew I was moving to a country that was not squeaky clean! possibly that was one of the attractions! Corruption is here to stay, its endemic and will take a lot more than a few expats to sort it out!
You may condone corruption but fortunately many do not
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by 12345 » July 29, 2016, 3:34 pm

joepai wrote:
Airportwo wrote:Is it worth questioning paying 500 baht? for me no, when I moved here many years ago I knew I was moving to a country that was not squeaky clean! possibly that was one of the attractions! Corruption is here to stay, its endemic and will take a lot more than a few expats to sort it out!
You may condone corruption but fortunately many do not
Yea, what he said. As long as people as yourself, allow them to 'steal' your money, and feed the corruption, it simply makes it so much harder for the rest of us.

THANKS.

If people would finally grow a set, and simply say 'NO', as obviously has been done by enough of us, as 3 corrupt scams seem to disappear now, for now, anyway, well, at least for those saying 'enough already'.

Express service..... :roll: Pay for free service .... letters and visa transfers.... :roll:

But I'm sure those that simply say ...... "OK, steal my money, how much this time".... when in home country, and getting their passport or driver's license, simply gives them 10 - 20 or 50 extra, just because it's a beautiful day.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Khun Paul » July 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Condoning any payment NOT listed on their scale of fees is out and out corruption, this includes their counterparts in the Road traffic police , no receipt, NO money is my ethos. They do not like it but then I am only a lone voice in the wilderness, but times are changing .
We include this to every State Agency including the Land registry dept which are by far the most corrupt even according to Thais, when I had the land the house stands on checked he wanted extra for doping it, I said a receipt so that I can give it to my accountant and offset it against the tax I was then paying. The request disappeared but the job was done anyway.
Now with various offices and telephone numbers available to make a complaint ( even take complaints from foreigners ) then they really have to be careful now .
Giving a tip to a person who has assisted you in completing something or whatever an un requested tip is always in your remit should you wish to do so, but Immigration expecting us top pay for the meals of the Interns is a stretch too far, none of them look to be starving, so I assume they eat well.
Those that pay are not wrong they just feel that they need to do so for a myriad of reasons, but many of us are getting fed up and they ( State officials of any hue ) damn well know it

Zero

Udon Immigration

Post by Zero » July 29, 2016, 5:18 pm

Problem with paying bribes to any officials (especially immigration) is that you become completely dependent on their goodwill in the future. You have given up on any right to be treated fairly. You will have to pay EVERY TIME going forward (and probably more every time) to keep them "happy" simply because they expect it. It's a bit like the bully in the school yard. Once you give in and even try to appease him you've lost all respect and you are his preferred victim going forward.

I never paid a single baht in bribes and you know what, I never had any problem with Thai authorities.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Udon Immigration

Post by wokkawombat » July 29, 2016, 5:39 pm

Went to Immigration today, handed over passport copies and licences. I was asked for 3 photos, I told them Land transport only want one letter and a copy for a 5 year renewal. All went well then came the request for 500 Baht. I replied it was a free service but I was prepared to pay 50 Baht towards the Interns lunch. A quick talk between her and the senior bloke alongside, stamp applied, letter given to me, 50 Baht accepted with thanks and end of my story.

It was disapointing to see a westerner give his Thai partner a bag with two bottles in it. This was passed over the counter along with a Norwegian passport, a few quick stamps and off they went. To each his own I suppose.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by newtovillagelife » July 29, 2016, 6:52 pm

I have said no to extra fees only to have them refuse the service and just look at me. So it is not always that easy to fight back against corruption.

wazza
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by wazza » July 29, 2016, 6:53 pm

Empties Wokka.

I might take a packet of dried durian for my next visit and just leave it there for them.

bumper
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by bumper » July 29, 2016, 7:00 pm

bumper wrote:Funny just a few days ago the PM said he would punish those who over charged. They obviously know we are only going to complain amongst ourselves May have been in the Bangkok Post I don't remember.
Sadly it was in Thai Visa news I posted a copy But, I think that is a no no and it went away.

Lets face guys as long as we do nothing we can't expect much. I will still try to pay only the fees that are required and will question oddities. It was actually a Police General who made the statement. Maybe it's my imagination but things do seem to be getting out of hand

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”