Buying a car - what to expect?

General Udon Thani topics only!
BDK
udonmap.com

Buying a car - what to expect?

Post by BDK » September 7, 2016, 9:52 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a car, as the otherwise trusty Honda Wave has it's limitations.

My girlfriend has been told by one of her friends, who have just bought a Honda City, that it's better to buy the car in Bangkok, as they give better discounts down there - any truth in that?
What kind of discount should I aim for - what is the norm here in Thailand?

The car will mainly be used by my girlfriend. She's keen on either a Suzuki Swift or Honda City - any experiences or other suggestions?
I am split between the two cars. As far as I can see, from reading the online non-English sites, the Swift is only equipped with two airbags, and no electronic stability program, which I think a car should have in 2016. The Honda City I simply find a bit boring.

I will be buying the car from new, by the way... I find the second hand prices a bit inflated, compared to the risk of buying a second hand car.

Jello
udonmap.com

Re: Buying a car - what to expect?

Post by Jello » September 7, 2016, 10:39 pm

BDK wrote: My girlfriend has been told by one of her friends, who have just bought a Honda City, that it's better to buy the car in Bangkok, as they give better discounts down there - any truth in that?
What kind of discount should I aim for - what is the norm here in Thailand?
I've only bought one new car here but in my experience (and what others have told me) is new car dealers do not negotiate on the price. They will however throw in accessories and add-ons.

That was a couple of years ago, could be different now. Doesn't hurt to go have a look and ask. I'd do that before going to all the way to Bangkok to look at cars.
UFF DA!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 8, 2016, 12:12 am

I got a cash discount on.my new car. Previous other new purchaes no cash rebates..just acessories as Jello stated. That included one in BkK. But far better accessories for sure..

Free 1st class insurance is worth about 15K for the delaers who throw that in.

No comment from you on Finance?

Whose name will the car be in if you pay cash. No brainer in yours IMO.

BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » September 8, 2016, 8:36 am

Thanks for the replies.

Wether it will be cash or not, depends on the financing. My girlfriend was told from her friend, that she had it financed with 0% interest. If that's possible, I will give her the down payment, and she can pay the rest herself. If I think the finance gets too expensive, I will pay it cash - and of course get it registered in my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » September 8, 2016, 8:56 am

I have bought about ten new cars here, seems to depend on the market, what is selling and what not on the discount available, the more dealers locally the more they will be willing to undercut! For sure they will throw in some freebies!!

I see a lot on the forums where folks don't trust their women & register car in their own name, I never register in my name! in case of accidents, speeding tickets, unpaid finance etc - You will be responsible!

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » September 8, 2016, 10:18 am

Wife bought a mitsubishi on finance. Just over 2% interest. down payment of 20%. 10 month interest free using a credit card

40 000 discount

Also included

Government insurance
First class insurance
1 year free service labour
Mats
Film
Tax
Registered and number
B500 fuel voucher
Safety kit Inc touch jump leads etc
Umbrella and glasses

Toyota gave similar. But double the interest

Chevrolet no discount

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 8, 2016, 10:30 am

When I moved to Thailand in 2010 I went immediately to the Honda dealer to negotiate the purchase of a new City for cash. My wife insisted that I would never get a discount, but I was determined to show her the "Western" way of buying a car at below dealer cost. I strutted into the dealership, snubbed the salesgirl and asked to speak directly to the sales manager. I had already picked out my car from the lot, so I pulled out my trusty legal pad of paper, wrote the MSRP at the top and then wrote under that the price that I would pay him for the car. He gave me that "deer in the headlights stare", got up from the table, walked away and never returned. I waited for about ten minutes, then told my wife that we would walk out of the dealership and she would observe the manager running out into the parking lot to beg me to come back in and buy the car. I even sat in my car and waiting for a while, but no one ever appeared, so I drove off with my ego terribly wounded. I had already given them my phone number, so next I told my wife that they would be calling us within a day or two to come back in and they would honor my offer. No such luck! After one week I went back to the dealership with my tail between my legs and bought the car. I did mention the free insurance but was told that they had no such promo at that time. I insisted on a little discount to "save my face", so I did get 5000 Baht off the retail price. I had no idea that they normally throw in some add-on accessories in lieu of discounts, but all I got was a set of floor mats. I asked for tinted windows and paid an extra 5000 Baht for that only to discover later that they had sent the car to an outside vendor, and I could have done the same thing for only 2500 Baht. The bottom line is...they actually made extra money off of me. So much for my being the "savvy" farang in Thailand!

Of course, back then it was a seller's market for new cars, but maybe times have changed and you can get a better deal now. Good luck!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 8, 2016, 12:04 pm

I discovered quickly that you never mention a cash deal. I expect that the commission from the finance company is substantial. Negotiate the best deal you can and when the finance details come up, that's the time to tell them you will pay cash. They may even try to renegotiate the price. I bought a new Isuzu V-Cross last year and found that if I put it in my name, they took away the 45,000 baht discount. My wife had some family member that owned an Isuzu. That qualified her for the discount. We also got a lot of goodies including the first year insurance.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » September 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

Back in February 2014 I bought a new Toyota Vigo and boy I got scammed to the max, firstly I told her that it had to be put in my name yes yes yes ( was only Thai g/f then) when the crunch came the salesgirl her manager and the wicked witch all spoke in Thai and I was informed that farang can not own car I had only been in Thailand for about fourteen days at this time (I new about house and land) so it finished up in her name and as she always used to tell me it was her's.

Of course the second part of the scam was no discount but all of the free extra's I told her we did not want or need 90% of the crap they were offering I was told must hab(sic) of course then I realized the real real attraction in the package was a new Samsung Galaxy state of the art smart phone.

I later ran into another guy from the UK who was just about to purchase the same pick who told them he did not want or need 90% of the the crap and got the discount.

I nearly got to court until my lawyer did a check and of course she had transferred the pick up into her friends name who then went to the bank and got a loan for her using the pick up as collateral so now the the bank holds the title and nothing I can do.

Yes LOS and I got caught a lesson well learned will not get caught again.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 8, 2016, 1:09 pm

thanks Semp & macca for teaching todays class at the WBU =D> :lol:

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 8, 2016, 2:07 pm

stattointhailand wrote:thanks Semp & macca for teaching todays class at the WBU =D> :lol:
Not a problem! I'm humble enough to admit my mistakes so that others don't have to follow in my footsteps! Many of the guys on this forum have helped me to step over quite a few pots holes in the past 6 years, so I don't mind giving back.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

Have to agree semp, I've saved many a wasted trip or expense over the years due to advice received from fellow mapites. Had to laugh when reading your story ......... it's probably the one thing that just about all get caught out with ........... She can't be right, what's she's telling me just doesn't make any sense at all ...... common sense say's our way has to be right ....... then we realise TIT and that will always manage to out do every ounce of common sense there is in the world :lol:

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » September 8, 2016, 2:23 pm

Semp, Macca
Back in about 2008 the biggies, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Went to a "Minimum Pricing Scheme". This is the price you pay. No dickering. The Scheme came about by a survey conducted to the purchasers about their worst experience buying a new car which was of course the Showroom Negotiation process. Now you are shown a list of prices for the various models and that number is that you pay. Today you can go online and order the car you want and have it delivered to the Dealer of your choice. Of course purchasing through the Dealer here in Thailand you may get some offers like 1 year insurance, tinted windows, and no labor maintenance costs for 3 years or 50K. This was the process in America and when I arrived here in Thailand in 2012. I bought a new Altis. My wife worked for the Toyota North American Headquarters.That is how I know this info. In reality the big auto companies would like to relegate Dealers to service only and trading used cars. They would love all buyers to purchase their new cars on line. Some history on how we got to where we are today.

As a side note I am looking at the new Honda Civic RS Turbo, 174HP turn the qtr mile in 15.4 seconds. Chip the bitch 225HP turn in the 13s.

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » September 8, 2016, 2:31 pm

i went in 2010 to look at new mazda bt50 dual cab at mazda ut near the ring rd on the way to nk & negotiated 75,000 baht off the list price for cash.

i also went alone as i wanted it in my name.
temptation is a .....

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » September 8, 2016, 4:18 pm

My learning lesson

In 2012 I purchased a "new" Mitsubishi About 2 months later I cheked the VIN number and found I had 2010 model

When I complained to the dealer I was told any car in Thailand that had not been registered can be sold as a new car

Meeanwhile I am left to suffer an additional 2 years depreciation

Took my loss and got rid of the Mitsubishi the next car I made sure they clearly stated the year model

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » September 8, 2016, 4:36 pm

Sharp practice is the norm not the exception when it comes to the sale of vehicles and many other transactions.

BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » September 9, 2016, 7:14 am

Thanks for all the replies - and some very entertaining real-life accounts

We will do a tour of the dealers, and see what we can find.
I'm actually relieved that there seems to be a fixed price at most of the dealers - makes it easier.
I don't really care wether I get a discount or not - I just don't want to pay extra on the account of being seen as an easy target/ farang, if that makes sense?

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » September 11, 2016, 10:50 pm

When in first came to Thailand, I bought a 2000 Toyota pickup in 3/2002 from my future brother-in-law who has a used car business. I think I paid 400,000 THB. It was in my name and required a number of hoops to jump through, but as my wife and I were not married at that time I didn't want to risk it if things didn't work out for us. I sold it back to him for the same price in 9/2003 when my wife and I went to the US.

When we returned in 4/2007, with my brother-in-law's help, I bought a 2000 Honda Accord at the Udon car auction. I sold it a few years later after problems with it, and took a loss on it.

In the meantime, I bought a Honda City from a fellow farang who was in a hurry to sell. I didn't like the car and I sold it about 15 months later for a small profit, by trading it in on a new car in 2011. The dealership didn't actually let me trade the car in. They called over a couple of used car dealers and I took the highest offer for it and applied that toward my purchase price for the new car.

I was unable to negotiate a reduced price for the new car, although I received some freebies: tinted windows, rain guards, one year first class insurance, full of gas, floor mats, and mud guards. My wife negotiated a 'finder's fee" for bringing me in to buy the car, 5,000 THB, as I recall. She received this fee even though the car was going to be in her name. My brother-in-law had suggested this tactic to her.

Used cars are comparatively expensive to used cars in the US. I think this is because the cost of the tax carries over to the value of the car. As tax rates are quite high in Thailand (from 12% to more than 50%) this inflates the used car market prices, but as most of us will never take the car out of country it doesn't really matter, that increased value continues. Because of the relatively recent tax rebate to first time Thai car buyers there has been a glut of repossessed used cars and their prices are lower than in the past. Of course GF's prefer new as it's a matter of face.

sesame

Post by sesame » September 11, 2016, 11:27 pm

Hello ! I have just one question,please.Can I buy car,second hand for cash, for my name?I' use tourist visa everyyear.thanks!

BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » September 15, 2016, 11:14 am

We went around to a few dealers yesterday - it was a bit of a shocking experience.
As said before the Honda City is the one we like better, but I was completely turned off from buying a car at the local dealership.
We went inside and was greeted politely by the young female salesperson. She asked which car we are interested in, and pointed us to the Honda City. From that point, there was absolutely no will to sell the car from the salesperson. All questions had to be dragged out of her, using my girlfriend as interpreter as my Thai is not as good as it should be. I asked for brochures and we sat down at a table. A few minutes later the salesperson joined us, and immediately pulled her phone out and started chatting with someone on Line. I asked some basic things like registration fee, insurance and so on - but she just couldn't be bothered to put the phone down and seem interested. I finally said thank you and walked out a bit abruptly, which cost me a bit of yak yak from the girlfriend.

Anyway - I like the car, but will likely not be buying from the Udon Thani dealership.

Among others we also went to the small Mitsubishi dealership furthest out on the Khon Kaen road - 100% different experience. Engaged (also female) seller asking for our needs, when we would need the car, and actually presenting the car to us! Unfortunately they didn't have the model on display, that I was coming for.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”