Looking for USAFSS and ASA veterans of Ramasun Station

General Udon Thani topics only!
ole Lawrence 70

Post by ole Lawrence 70 » April 27, 2015, 7:36 pm

Guys....I served 13 months on the ground at Ramasun Station just southeast of Udon, Thani in 1970-71. Now I'm having
complications from Agent Orange exposure (which they sprayed on the perimeter fence line to clear the jungle)
and untreated Lymphatic Filariasis I picked up there from the mosquitoes. So, I'm looking for other veterans who may
have served there and may have these maladies too. Need some supportive help from other vets that served there
then and any information on other groups of veterans who served there.

ol' Lawrence in west Texas

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 27, 2015, 9:52 pm

Facebook group: RAMASUN STATION THAILAND and Facebook group 7th Radio Research Field Station. Both groups have had discussion on these issues and the Ramasun FB group has a variety of documents on the "Tactical herbicides" used in Thailand and the VA requirements to get any claims approved.. Also Yahoo groups: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UdornResearch/files and Udon Vets Yahoo group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Udo ... 0%20Udorn/

You may have to join the groups to get access...
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 30, 2015, 11:11 am

Coincidentally, I just finished reading a book "Tales of Ramasun", written by M. H. Burton, a former serving veteran 'lingy' there. While searching the web for other information, I found a reference to a suit being filed against the military by another former Ramasun veteran for a whole plethora of maladies including erectile dysfunction. The claimant said they were all caused by exposure to Agent Orange at Ramasun. This radio monitoring station was not an active, front-line facility, being operated by all divisions of the US military under the ultimate direction of the NSA. It was located about 9 miles south of Udon Thani, near Nong Sung. The document was a single page and went into a lot of legalese but I did recall reading that the military clearly stated that Agent Orange was never used as defoliant on any facilities of any sort in Thailand.

Here's one 8-page thread in this forum to check out. Early mention of exposure to DDT may have been an issue for some as that stuff was sprayed in a whole lot of other places before the health issues became common knowledge.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/a ... 50-75.html

Good luck with your search.

robwilliams810

Post by robwilliams810 » May 7, 2015, 2:01 am

I served at the 7th during the same time period as you. I was an ASA type (98C30) and like you I have a number of illnesses (type II diabetes, prostate cancer, etc.) that are linked to Agent Orange. I have a claim with the VA and I am represented by VOS.

The VA is requiring me to prove that I was an MP (not) and on the perimeter of the base (where they sprayed) but I have read on-line that exposure can also be proven if one can show other proximity to the perimeter like sports activities or other reasons for being near the proximity. I took karate lessons, exercised and ran regularly near the perimeter. I have to identify others who saw me coin so and supply their statements to the VA.

This all part of an effort to simply deny what is obvious, we were all exposed. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Rob Williams

LU
udonmap.com

Post by LU » May 7, 2015, 11:24 pm

Regarding Tamada's recollection of US military claim
but I did recall reading that the military clearly stated that Agent Orange was never used as defoliant on any facilities of any sort in Thailand.
I offer the following taken from the US Veterans Administration's own website when I conducted a search for "agent orange Thailand":
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure ... ailand.asp

I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding this topic. I too am dealing with having been exposed to defoliants while serving in Thailand. No vegetation would/could grow where I worked and that was a direct result of the use of agent orange. The local VA hospital fought me and my claim every step of the way...to the point that I've given up fighting their system. Perhaps that is why they throw up so many roadblocks for those of us suffering as a result of our service to our country. They realize that if they stall us long enough we'll just die off. Problem solved. One thing I did pick up from my experience during this was a tip from another veteran. When filing your claim do not limit your claim to exposure to "agent orange". Instead use the more inclusive term "defoliants". Best wishes to all who have suffered/are suffering from exposure to what we were assured was harmless.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 8, 2015, 7:32 am

the military's parlance for what was used in Thailand is "non-tactical commercial herbicides".. which obviously since the VA has granted some presumption of connection are the equivalent of Agent Orange.. How much was used at Ramasun and Udon AFB?? We'll never know I'm sure.. I'm surprised that there to my knowledge has never been a Thai support group for such issues seeing as how if indeed there is a correlation between the use of these herbicides in Thailand and GI's having health issues, surely there were tens of thousands of Thais affected who lived along the perimeters of the bases or worked there as laborers, guards, etc... I've never heard of any studies done on birth defects or health issues for Thais similar to what's been done in Vietnam.
Dave

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » May 11, 2015, 5:41 am

First let me say as of November 2014 I won my case for Herbicides use in Thailand. It was not easy and I had to go to keep appealing until I got to the Admin Judge from Washington DC. This claim was started in Sept. 2007. In other words over 7 years and still waiting for my rating. Hope to get that either this month or next.

First a few hints which have been already spoken of.

1. Never say Agent Orange. If that is what you put on your paperwork amend it to say herbicides. By saying Agent Orange it makes it easy to decline as you are only looking for one herbicide. There are several variants of Agent Orange which include Agent Blue, Agent White, Agent Silver and Ranchhand. You can find some (not all) by digging into Dow Chemical, one if not the main supplier. Also their are other herbicides used also.

2. You can find a lot of info in the CHECO report of 1993 (I think the year is correct). This is a report done for the VA to find out where Herbicides where used worldwide. It was used on the perimeter of Udorn RTAFB. They were also sprayed in the tankfarm as well as the JP-4 rail car unloading facility in Nong Kwang Kwine. (these are where I worked).

3. If you were an MP or dog handler at Udorn RTAFB, have an illness and can show you were an MP or Dog Handler (order your military records) you can make a claim. I had to prove with maps and records I actually worked in the tank farm and show it was on the perimeter. I was also able to show I was the one who opened the railcar unloading facility.

4. The only other case I know of who won who did not do the above was a guy who worked at the test pad. It was about where the current Udon Thani airport is. He had to prove prevailing winds was his exposure.

5. Never give up. I am sure you will feel like it and it is a long road.

On the other side, I don't think playing softball etc will get very for but you never know. Most of this stuff you can find online. I saw where the original OP has files in Texas. Make sure you are using a Veterans organization like Texas Veterans Commission, DAV Etc. However if you do, do not rely on them. I fired two and actually represented myself in front of the judge in DC. No lawyers will want to waste their time because you will only get most likely 0% to 40% for herbicide exposure. They only get a small percentage and they have to be approved by the VA (that was told me by a lawyer) before they can represent you. All the other stuff like ED, Diabetes, Incontinence etc will be add on to increase your disability.

Wish you luck and be prepared as it is a long fight. Will be honest and say, the ruling is quite plain, if you did not work on the perimeter or can show a direct connection, it will be extremely hard. Even working on the perimeter as I did , it was not easy.

Again Good luck

Hhumphrey

Post by Hhumphrey » August 11, 2015, 5:18 am

My name is Humphrey. Served as MP from 70-71 at Ramasun 7th RRFS.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 28, 2015, 6:58 pm

A little late in seeing this. I will forward this thread to a friend in New Mexico that was in NPK and finally won his case. He may have info that will be of help. Sometimes I wonder if the VA works for DOW.

Keith05H

Post by Keith05H » July 13, 2016, 1:02 am

Was there Aug 71 to Aug 73. I have a pile of health problems, but I was also in Nam for a yer before with the 330th RRC in Nha Trang. I got boots on the ground in Name and the VA still won't say they were caused by AO.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 15, 2016, 3:58 pm

I am forwarding this to a good friend in New Mexico that was at NPK and has Agent Orange poisoning and disability. He had a hell of fight with the VA.

citizen

Post by citizen » July 16, 2016, 2:09 am

As Wayne said I won my case with the VA about ten years ago on AO at Thai bases. It took me about 7 years to win it. I was USAF EOD at Ubon and NKP and Laos on the Ho Chi Minh Trail with the CIA Air America operations (check out Mel Gibson's film AIR AMERICA and you will get an idea of what went on there, the CIA drug running is true, I saw it).

In researching my case I found AO was used almost all over the country, although it was called tactical herbicides as someone has mentioned. It was used in remote sites too not just bases.

Wining the case was important for me as I had developed prostate cancer, which is an effect of AO.

They used it on all the perimeters and on base in locations too. Security personnel were really hit with it on the base edges. They used it on the Ho Chi Minh Trail too which is what helped my claim but then I had to get it proved that I was there since we were not officially in Laos. This took writing the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. They sent an investigator out to the Albuquerque Regional office who told them to approve my claim after they had investigated a lot of denials from this office. Keep fighting the VA on this....

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 16, 2016, 6:00 pm

LU wrote:Regarding Tamada's recollection of US military claim
but I did recall reading that the military clearly stated that Agent Orange was never used as defoliant on any facilities of any sort in Thailand.
I offer the following taken from the US Veterans Administration's own website when I conducted a search for "agent orange Thailand":
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure ... ailand.asp

I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding this topic. I too am dealing with having been exposed to defoliants while serving in Thailand. No vegetation would/could grow where I worked and that was a direct result of the use of agent orange. The local VA hospital fought me and my claim every step of the way...to the point that I've given up fighting their system. Perhaps that is why they throw up so many roadblocks for those of us suffering as a result of our service to our country. They realize that if they stall us long enough we'll just die off. Problem solved. One thing I did pick up from my experience during this was a tip from another veteran. When filing your claim do not limit your claim to exposure to "agent orange". Instead use the more inclusive term "defoliants". Best wishes to all who have suffered/are suffering from exposure to what we were assured was harmless.
Ive heard the se thing. Have contacted a VFW service officer they know the ends and outs better then the average guy

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Looking for USAFSS and ASA veterans of Ramasun Station

Post by parrot » August 31, 2016, 6:20 pm

A Thai newspaper reports the Army hosted the Udon governor at Ramasun on 29 Aug promoting tourism at the base. The article discusses some of the history behind the base.....the US Army acquiring 800 rai of land in 1964 and turning the area into a major communications facility during the Vietnam War era.
Plans are afoot to turn the remnant of the camp into a museum/history-related tourist site beginning in mid-2017.

http://www.matichon.co.th/news/267255

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 31, 2016, 7:32 pm

About 18 years ago, I received an email from a retired AF chief.......said he was coming over for a vacation and wanted to visit Ramuson. He asked if I could arrange a 'tour'. I made no promises.....when he and his wife arrived (both living in Belgium), we loaded up and drove to the main gate. "May we enter?" "Absolutely not!" "Please, this is my friend and he traveled all the way from Belgium." The gate guard got on his radio and contacted his boss. The boss agreed to let us in, if we allowed a guard to accompany us. Agreed.
First stop....the old ops building....erh, remnants. It was all busted down when the GIs left the country. But the retired chief was able to id the different rooms, including the ops area. I found a few remnants of grease pencil and one side of a headset cover. https://photos.google.com/
The guard asked if we wanted to go into the tunnel.......as it was rumored that there was valuables/money/gold stored there. We declined.....knowing it was a maintenance tunnel to the elephant cage.
Next stop, NCO Club. The Thai Army had taken over a very small corner of the club, toward the front, for a hooch bar. The rest of the club was in pretty bad shape, but the main room still had the stage, bar, and band area. I'm pretty sure I saw some of the membership-night dancers' ghosts still on the stage.
Last stop, the chief's final barracks. He told me the 3 story barracks were built just before he left (not the ones on the highway.......these buildings were set back a bit). As we approached, we saw burlap sacks hanging in all the window areas. As we entered the building, we had to step up a bit, then step down......into 2" or so of standing water. The barracks had been converted to a mushroom farm. The chief wanted to cry.
Unfortunately I don't remember the chief or his wife's names. He told me he was the first AF individual assigned to the base.....and then year's later, was the last AF member to leave.
I apologize for the quality of the photo.....daze before digital....so it's a photo of a photo.
Attachments
20160831_192711.jpg

Mikeb98980

Post by Mikeb98980 » September 27, 2016, 12:38 am

I believe my husband was stationed at Ramasun sometime between 72 and 74. His name was Michael Burke and he was a crypto. He passed away from Col-rectal cancer in 1999 and had been sick for years. It actually started with barretts syndrome in his esophogis. I've been trying to find out if he was exposed to agent orange because I would like to let me children know if his cancer was hereditary or if it could have come from ao. I do not have a case with the government because for years they said we were not eligible because he was station in Thailand and did not have the kind of cancer that was on the list of recognized cancers. There is no history in his family of this type of cancer.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2016, 9:05 am

I was at Ramasun from 1973-1975.. If you are on Facebook I would suggest you join the Ramasun Station Thailand Facebook Page.. They have a variety of files posted on the site that talk about the presence of "non-tactical herbicides" as used at U.S. military posts in Thailand. https://www.facebook.com/groups/RamasunStation/files/
Dave

Mikeb98980

Post by Mikeb98980 » October 7, 2016, 7:33 pm

Thank you I will look into it.

Richkid

Post by Richkid » October 21, 2016, 3:07 pm

I have Parkinson's disease and I'm looking for any ASA buddies who served during 1971-1972 at the 7th RRS Ramasun to verify existence of AO or any other defoliants .
Thanks
SP4 Lancaster / aka "RichKid"

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » November 25, 2016, 9:20 pm

Send me PM and I will put you in touch with a very good friend that was at NPK. AO is now covered but you have to fight like hell for it. He finally won and has the info. All Vets from Thailand were exposed.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”