ESL job availability in Nong Khai?

Jobs Offered/Wanted in the Udon Thani area
Cassie_114

ESL job availability in Nong Khai?

Post by Cassie_114 » November 4, 2016, 8:41 pm

Hi there,
Just thought I'd give this a shot...
I'm currently teaching at a junior school in NK but have decided to leave the agency who posted me here. Does anyone know of any positions available? I've got several years experience teaching ESL from elementary to adults and would like to stay on NK for at least this school semester.
Many thanks in advance,
Cassie.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Re: ESL job availability in Nong Khai?

Post by redwolf » November 5, 2016, 8:00 pm

Cassie_114 wrote:Hi there,
Just thought I'd give this a shot...
I'm currently teaching at a junior school in NK but have decided to leave the agency who posted me here. Does anyone know of any positions available? I've got several years experience teaching ESL from elementary to adults and would like to stay on NK for at least this school semester.
Many thanks in advance,
Cassie.
Hi Cassie,

You've probably heard of Isaara (which means freedom in Thai) and Open Mind in Nong Khai and you might even be leaving one of those. Those are the two that I know of in Nong Khai, if still open. There could be more.

Udon Thani definitely has more options but as you might have seen, isn't as laid back as Nong Khai, doesn't have the river, etc. Udon's got quite a few schools, I know ESL teachers at Udon Christian and Don Bosco, they seem to have been there years, some via agency others worked out their own deals.

One thing to consider if between teaching stints, -learning Thai, if you don't speak it already. It jumps you to the front of the line anywhere in the country as far as teaching jobs go.

And depending where you study, you can get an ED Visa. But the proper visa-qualified (via Ministry of Education & Royal Thai Immigration Police) Thai language school would likely be in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, or Phuket, as the immigration "rules" there "allow" for ED Visas (even though it's the "law" everywhere in Thailand to be able to get one). If you neither need nor want and ED Visa, there are some Thai language schools in Udon and in Nong Khai too (like the one across from Coffee Talk?).

Thais are VERY impressed and supportive of those who choose to learn their language and culture correctly, eventually you'll find you don't need to network among foreigners as the academic-minded Thais are your new network. :D

Even 6 months just learning to read, write and speak the basics would go a LONG way. Very few teachers take that on, but those who do speak Thai, have their pick of anywhere in country, and the reward of knowing the students actually understand you, -insofar as given student cares to pay attention anyhow.

Anyhow good luck!

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Return to “Jobs Offered/Wanted”