Playing Golf in Udon

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
PGS

Playing Golf in Udon

Post by PGS » October 22, 2016, 12:22 am

Hi guys, I am planning my vacation in Thailand, and want to switch from Hua Hin to Udon Thani.
However golf is vital for my holidays, can anyone recommend courses in the Udon area?
Thank you.

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: Playing Golf in Udon

Post by pal52 » October 22, 2016, 7:57 am

This website lists the Golf courses in Udon.
Click on each course for info which is pretty well up to date.
It is in black & white at the moment.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 22, 2016, 8:04 am

See this link as well. I think the info is pretty much up to date but dont play these courses so may be wrong

http://www.udonthanigolf.com/course-s-in-udon

Personally, I head down towards Khon Kaen where the courses are, in my opinion, better. See this link

http://www.khonkaengolf.com/visitors-area/local-courses

PGS

Post by PGS » October 23, 2016, 12:28 pm

Thank you both for helpful info, looking foward to my vacation :D

MOT

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » November 24, 2016, 9:23 pm

I used the driving range t the Nong Sam Rong Army course many times and wanted to play the course with two friends the other day. They would not allow me to be on the course with a collared, button down business shirt. I was told that I needed a golf/polo shirt. If the caddy allowed me to play, she would be banned from the course for 1 week. They tried to find a shirt for me to borrow, to no avail.

I ended up encouraging my two friends to play without me.

I can understand the dress rule at a swanky, expensive, exclusive course. But I have played other courses in the Udon area and Khon Kaen with this shirt and also courses in the US.

But this po-dunk, golf-course-wanna-be barely rates cut-off jeans and a tank top. I walked the first hole and there was standing water all over. Did not see the rest of the course. Needless to say, I plan to never be back to the course or driving range. I will also recommend to all I talk to that they avoid and go elsewhere.

FWIW

Cheers and Jeers

430xc

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 25, 2016, 3:06 pm

430xc wrote:I used the driving range t the Nong Sam Rong Army course many times and wanted to play the course with two friends the other day. They would not allow me to be on the course with a collared, button down business shirt. I was told that I needed a golf/polo shirt. If the caddy allowed me to play, she would be banned from the course for 1 week. They tried to find a shirt for me to borrow, to no avail.

I ended up encouraging my two friends to play without me.

I can understand the dress rule at a swanky, expensive, exclusive course. But I have played other courses in the Udon area and Khon Kaen with this shirt and also courses in the US.

But this po-dunk, golf-course-wanna-be barely rates cut-off jeans and a tank top. I walked the first hole and there was standing water all over. Did not see the rest of the course. Needless to say, I plan to never be back to the course or driving range. I will also recommend to all I talk to that they avoid and go elsewhere.

FWIW

Cheers and Jeers

430xc
What a load of crap.
I play all 3 courses in Udon every week.
Nongsamrong is by far the best kept. cheapest & cleanest course in Udon.

It also has the best facilities in Udon with a practice bunker, driving range, putting green & excellent new shower facilities which are free on production of your insurance receipt from playing golf.

The caddies who are not on duty are on the course every day at 0730hrs cleaning the fairways of leaves, raking the bunkers & pulling out weeds on the putting greens.
This does not happen at any other course in Udon

All golf courses have a dress code if you do not know this you should not play golf.
All I can say is your shirt was over the top for the recognized dress code.

You stated that if your caddy allowed you to play she would be banned for 1 week.
Who told you you could not play in your shirt (was it the caddy) as there is no starter on the 1st Tee & the man who takes your money does not speak English.

As regards to the water on the fairways which is minimal not like you try to make out.
Yes there is as they put sprinklers on on a morning to water the fairways as it is now the dry season & they try to keep the fairways nice but the rules of golf allow you to pick clean & place your ball in casual water.

Tell your story to everyone & I am sure they will have a good laugh at you.

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » November 25, 2016, 6:40 pm

Dear Pal52: I am glad that you enjoy this course. There were about 6 caddies who told me and a Thai lady we were playing with that I could not play in this shirt. There was no miscommunication.

You are, in your opinion, the master of golf and etiquette for Udon and we all will bow down to your position. When you know what you are talking about regarding dress code and what caddies can and cannot do then and only then should you spout off.

If you continue to play this course, it will be my pleasure to never see you, for I plan to never play this course. The real laugh in the end is on you.

With respect:

430xc

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » November 26, 2016, 6:46 am

Hi 430xc,
For what it is worth, when l attempted to play at Victory Park l was informed by office staff who co-ordinated the tee time that l was required to wear a polo shirt. At the time l was wearing a button down shirt. Whilst not attempting to inflame your indignation, it would appear that irrespective of the standard of course and their respective idiosynchrasies re watering practises, the issue of the required clothing apparel is more widespread than you are aware .

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 26, 2016, 9:26 am

We don't like the Immigration rules but if we want to stay here we must follow them. There are times when an over-zealous agent will over enforce but we have to put up with it.

Same for a golf course. If you want to play you must follow their rules. The Thai people and probably most fahlangs don't care if you play or not but you are missing out on an excellent golf course that costs all of 310 Baht to play. FWIW, my course in Dallas also had a dress code.

The biggest gripe about NSR is that it is too short, par 66. I think the real reason is that many are afraid of it with water, sand and other hazards on most every hole. :-)

I agree with the above poster that NSR is far and away the best kept course in Udon.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 26, 2016, 11:38 am

430xc wrote:Dear Pal52: I am glad that you enjoy this course. There were about 6 caddies who told me and a Thai lady we were playing with that I could not play in this shirt. There was no miscommunication.

You are, in your opinion, the master of golf and etiquette for Udon and we all will bow down to your position. When you know what you are talking about regarding dress code and what caddies can and cannot do then and only then should you spout off.

If you continue to play this course, it will be my pleasure to never see you, for I plan to never play this course. The real laugh in the end is on you.

With respect:

430xc
I can assure myself & hundreds of others will continue to play this course.
Also nobody will care that you do not want to play this course.
You are the only loser so the last laugh in the end is on you.

mac123
udonmap.com

Post by mac123 » December 4, 2016, 12:09 pm

I agree 100% with the other posters on here - Nong sang rom is a decent little 9 holer, and one which the military commander and his staff should be congratulated for improving. I arrived 5 years ago and would then have described the course as 'scruffy', that isn't true today. So well done to the soldiers and caddies for the improvement.

Regarding the dude who is complaining about the dress code, my mates were waiting on the tee for him and his group to begin their round. They had a ringside seat watching the events unfold and to a man, they say that the staff (starter and caddies) behaved perfectly properly. Put simply, the guy in question was inappropriately dressed...a button down business shirt on a golf course?...your having a laugh !!! How hard is it to bring along any sort of polo/golf type shirt? Almost all golf courses would insist on an appropriate dress code - so well done to Nong sam rong for keeping standards up.

Far from being put off playing, I will continue to play Nong sam rong - it doesn't pretend to be Royal Birkdale, it is a decent little 9 hole track, in fair condition and offers some of the cheapest golf in Thailand.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”