Best place to buy wet fish in Udon?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Best place to buy wet fish in Udon?

Post by Owld Feller » April 4, 2017, 12:49 pm

What I'm hoping to find is somewhere with a proper, hygienic, fish counter that sells both cuts from larger fish and offers a descaling, cleaning & filleting service for any whole fish selected.

Any help will be much appreciated.

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Re: Best place to buy wet fish in Udon?

Post by domfromoz » April 4, 2017, 2:06 pm

Makro,s

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

domfromoz wrote:Makro,s
I thought they only sold packs of frozen fish, rather than having an actual fish counter.

Am I wrong?

lightman
udonmap.com

Post by lightman » April 4, 2017, 2:54 pm

The Market

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » April 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Owld Feller wrote:
I thought they only sold packs of frozen fish, rather than having an actual fish counter.

Am I wrong?
Yes
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 4, 2017, 4:12 pm

joepai wrote:
Owld Feller wrote:

Am I wrong?
Yes
Sorry, I'm confused. :oops:

I'm assuming that your "Yes" referred to my asking "Am I wrong?", but it could equally apply to "I thought they only sold packs of frozen fish, rather than having an actual fish counter".

If my initial assumption is correct can you please give me a reasonable insight into what wet fish they sell and if they employ staff to provide the additional services I mentioned in my OP?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 4, 2017, 7:10 pm

Makro has a large selection of fish that are not frozen and the staff will fillet for you.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 4, 2017, 7:32 pm

There was a thread about Makro and fish varieties....cleaning/filleting.....at
ocean-sea-fish-at-makro-t42706.html

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 4, 2017, 8:11 pm

parrot wrote:There was a thread about Makro and fish varieties....cleaning/filleting.....at
Now I understand more can I thank everyone who suggested Makro, it sounds it could be what I'm looking for.

I never thought for a moment that they had anything like that.

Many thanks again.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 4, 2017, 8:26 pm

I bought a live fish at Talard Baan Huay. Night market tonight. Red one ( tilipia ? )

Scaled. Cut to order and gutted. 90 baht

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Owld Feller wrote:
parrot wrote:There was a thread about Makro and fish varieties....cleaning/filleting.....at
Now I understand more can I thank everyone who suggested Makro, it sounds it could be what I'm looking for.

I never thought for a moment that they had anything like that.

Many thanks again.
Above or after all mentioned, at Makro they can also take skin off, if needed. Like salmon, they usually do 2-3 different cuts and sell with a good profit. 600 - 900 thb/kg. If you buy whole salmon By 370 thb/kg (yes, they have, but you have to ask -very often it is hidden), they do what you ask. If just weight and ask "tam duei" (make also), you get fish head and bone in one plastic bag and two fillets in other. No use to ask different cuts. Also skin is better to leave and give some taste to fish.

Not fish, but Makro. If you have meat, they can slice it or make minced. Of course they sell those, but if you like to have your "own formula" -Like 50% pork and 50% beef minced.

To be honest, I do not know the minimum size of fish that can be prepared. Large sea perch they make, but a small one??? Anyway they sell those small ones ready made/cut in vacuum pack. Usually 1-3 days old.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 4, 2017, 9:09 pm

Eagle

Appreciate very much the comments on the Salmon, at Tops and Villa, minimum of 1400 /kg

Will ask for one , filleted for steaks and sushi

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

" Like salmon, they usually do 2-3 different cuts and sell with a good profit. 600 - 900 thb/kg. If you buy whole salmon By 370 thb/kg (yes, they have, but you have to ask -very often it is hidden), they do what you ask. If just weight and ask "tam duei" (make also), you get fish head and bone in one plastic bag and two fillets in other. No use to ask different cuts. Also skin is better to leave and give some taste to fish. "

Finally got to find a fresh Salmon in Makro today, and yes had to ask, but staff very friendly and obliging.

360 / kg , and exactly stated as above by Eagle

Works out to be 620 / kg for the 2 fillets ( they are selling cyrovac fillets for sushi etc for 690 / kg )

I asked for the skin to be removed and already fried the skin and eaten with some spicy nam jim sauce

Dog will get heaps of left overs from the frame and soups as well

Thanks Eagle

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » May 11, 2017, 6:52 pm

wazza wrote:
" Like salmon, they usually do 2-3 different cuts and sell with a good profit. 600 - 900 thb/kg. If you buy whole salmon By 370 thb/kg (yes, they have, but you have to ask -very often it is hidden), they do what you ask. If just weight and ask "tam duei" (make also), you get fish head and bone in one plastic bag and two fillets in other. No use to ask different cuts. Also skin is better to leave and give some taste to fish. "

Finally got to find a fresh Salmon in Makro today, and yes had to ask, but staff very friendly and obliging.

Works out to be 620 / kg for the 2 fillets ( they are selling cyrovac fillets for sushi etc for 690 / kg )

I asked for the skin to be removed and already fried the skin and eaten with some spicy nam jim sauce

Dog will get heaps of left overs from the frame and soups as well

Thanks Eagle
You are welcome. I was there on Tuesday and they had two fish visible. I usually like those hidden ones, because stay in colder Place and not everyone touching. They know that I check gills to be red like red wine and do not offer anything else. I need fresh salmon to make cold smoked salmon.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 11, 2017, 7:06 pm

Grinners are Winners

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 13, 2017, 7:08 am

Works out to be 620 / kg for the 2 fillets
so it is 260/kg baht extra to filet the fish?...
i bought several times a whole salmon , last one how ever was last year at a price of 220 baht/kilo , they have told me if they filet it ,it would be same price as sold by piece , so i filet the fish myself at home , how ever suddenly the price of salmon has gone up a lot , i think we bought cut up pieces for 490-540baht kilo...also the tuna has gone up a lot ..
freshness in makro about fish not exactly the place to buy ,bought 2 times the thai blood mussels (hoi kaeng) whom we had to trow away after cooking because smelly...tops and villa market ? way to expensive , to me they can open 10 of them i still not visit them , outrageous prices ...for all other fish better buy them alive at any thai market .. ;)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 13, 2017, 10:59 am

Its 360 / Kg for the fish whole - No available in local Thai markets

After filleted, I weighed the 2 large fillets, the 1805B for the fish divided by the weight of the fillets etc

Works out to pay 600 odd / kg for the fillets. which is less than 50% the cost of Villa / Tops.

Sushi/ grilled / Yum / poached so far and a great bargain for people who like Atlantic salmon

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”