Non-Alcoholic Beer

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 1, 2007, 12:41 pm

I've got a friend visiting in a couple of weeks and due to health reasons he can only drink non-alcoholic beer.

Question: Is there any non-alcoholic beer in Thailand? If so what is it called, where do I get it..?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 1, 2007, 12:52 pm

Yes. It is called water. Just write beer on the bottle, and he should be OK. :D

I have never seen any myself - but then again - I have never looked for it.
Ain't Easy Being Me

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 1, 2007, 12:54 pm

Singha do a lite version, I think the alcohol content is approx 2.4%. I've never seen alcohol free over here yet!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 1, 2007, 6:31 pm

I have seen alcohol-free wines here. Sorry, I can't remember where.

Pure-Guava

Post by Pure-Guava » April 2, 2007, 7:32 am

I have seen one imported brand of Non Alcoholic beer available for sale in Thailand but only in the largest, most modern supermarkets catering to foreigners...Villa, Paragon, Central in central Bangkok.

There is a Non Alcoholic version of Klosters sold in a can. I've seen them priced from 90 - 120 baht. IMO they don't taste very good. All the calories, none of the effects so I usually go with soda water.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 2, 2007, 10:32 am

OK thanks, looks like our friend will have to put up with what we have.....

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 11, 2007, 3:55 pm

I stopped at my favourite liquor store today for my bi-monthly stock-up.
They just got in: Clausthaller (sp?), imported, non-alcoholic beer.
90 baht per 12 ounce can.
The store is located on the SW corner of Posri Rd. & Sisutta Rd.
map ref: K-11.

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » April 11, 2007, 4:34 pm

jingjai wrote:I have seen alcohol-free wines here. Sorry, I can't remember where.
Yes, I drink that every day. It is called grape juice. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. :razz:

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 11, 2007, 4:36 pm

jingjai wrote:I stopped at my favourite liquor store today for my bi-monthly stock-up.
They just got in: Clausthaller (sp?), imported, non-alcoholic beer.
90 baht per 12 ounce can.
The store is located on the SW corner of Posri Rd. & Sisutta Rd.
map ref: K-11.
excellent jingjai thanks for the info, I'll swing by there tomorrow, our friend gets here next week

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » April 12, 2007, 4:49 am

My friends in AA say that non alcoholic beer is exactly that....for non alcoholics !!!

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 12, 2007, 9:43 am

You could solve your problem the Thai way. Just remove the label from a bottle of Chang.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 12, 2007, 10:24 am

uncle tom wrote:My friends in AA say that non alcoholic beer is exactly that....for non alcoholics !!!
:lol: Absolutely right!But not only alcoholics are allergic to alcohol :lol: I have an allergy to practicing alcoholics :lol: :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 12, 2007, 10:30 am

I had a friend that was a member of AA and drank non-alcoholic beer for 7 years!One day he decided that he could drink a lite beer!7 days later he got off a plane in Honolulu and wound up in the hospital from Alcohol poisoning,dying 2 days later :cry:

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 12, 2007, 10:32 am

End of thread me thinks

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » April 12, 2007, 10:42 am

Non-alcoholic drinks may be best left alone for recovering alcoholics. Most contain alcohol in a small amount.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 12, 2007, 4:22 pm

yes, non/al beer usually has 0.5% alcohol,some lite beers can be around 2%+,
i have tried the one mentioned and its not bad.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 29, 2007, 11:17 am

Our friend duly arrived and stuck with juice and cola.

We had a very interesting chat and it turns out that along with his heart condition (which is why I thought he was on the non-alcoholic beer) he is a recovering alcoholic. Been dry now for 90 days and doing well.

He still doesn't understand why the docs have labelled him an alcoholic, like a lot of guys he used to enjoy a few beers after work (I've been with him on many occasions) and on the odd lunchtime, Sunday especially, he's never craved a drink when he got up in the morning and had the standard hang over after a night out with the boys...

So, my question is, apart from Gooooogle definitions, what criteria does everyone consider to make one an alcoholic. By our friends standards I'm an alchy too......I like a beer in the evening before and sometimes after dinner, and we're always in a bar in town on a Sunday lunchtime, sort of habit from the UK, did the same in the US and Oz when I lived there.

Your thoughts please....

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 29, 2007, 11:46 am

Not all alcoholics show the same symptoms.There are alcoholics that genetically don't have the enzyne to breakdown alcohol in the system,so they are physically allergic to alcohol!
There are those that have drank so much that their liver isn't functioning properly due to sirrhosis!
There are alcoholics that don't want to stop drinking because they have emotional and pyschilogical problems that they don't want to face!
If someone has problems because of alcohol use and they continue to use alcohol although the problems continue to reoccur!In AA ,they call it insanity:doing the same thing over and over again,expecting different results!
A doctor or someone else might point out ''alcoholic behaviors and symptoms'',but the individual has to admit to being an alcoholic(accept his/her powerless over alcohol and his behavior because of drinking alcohol)to recover!
After the physical detox,an alcoholic in recovery seeks the power to not drink through a support system(usually other alcoholics in recovery that support each other ;AA being the most effective and popular!The gift of AA is that by helping another alcoholic stay sober,you stay sober!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 29, 2007, 11:53 am

Most people that accept they are in fact alcoholic,will not drink ''non-alcoholic beer''!First because it is not non-alcoholic and second,it is to strong of a reminder to possibly tempt them into ''just one'' real beer,which can be devastating sooner or later! :(

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 29, 2007, 5:56 pm

Thats exactly our friends point Stan, he has non-alcoholic beer now back home and there's no adverse effects, he hasn't increased the amount he drinks, has no problem not having a 'real' beer and when he goes away, holidays etc and he can't find a non-alcoholic beer he knows he drinks juice or cola only. He just can't understand why he has been labelled an alcoholic.

In your opinion was he / is he still an alcoholic? Serious question, I find this quite fascinating, as I said above I fall into the same category as he does, albeit I have a 'real' beer or 2 every night....

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”