Traffic check points

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Traffic check points

Post by tamada » May 21, 2017, 3:08 pm

Came across a police traffic check on the west ring road last night around 10 PM, north of traffic lights at Pracha Raksa/Kut Chap junction, just north of Chris's Place, at the first u-turn in the median. I know they have some locations in town where they set up shop at weekends. Anyone like to add to a list of where they operate?

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Re: Traffic check points

Post by Raoul Duke » May 21, 2017, 3:46 pm

Yesterday and again this afternoon they were very active around Pokanusorn Pho Si Rd.
Voiceover for hire.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 21, 2017, 6:10 pm

We're not at all certain that publishing a listing of police checkpoints is going to sit terribly well with the local constabulary. Before we make a decision either way, we'd like to hear from some members on this. Opinions?

mac123
udonmap.com

Post by mac123 » May 21, 2017, 6:18 pm

We are guests (albeit paying ones) in Thailand, making comments which might be construed as hampering the Royal Thai Police is not very wise in my view. It is one thing informally making comments of this type to a mate at the bar, it is quite another to publish the same comment.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

Not such a great idea, I think checkpoints to catch drink drivers are a good thing and should be applauded not avoided.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » May 21, 2017, 6:44 pm

The OP is talking about after 10PM checkpoints. That would be DWI checkpoints.
Aside from what the police would think of the thread, does UdonMap really want to run a thread on how to drink and drive without getting caught?

Yeah, checkpoints are a pain, but as long as your driving legal and sober the checkpoint is just a minor inconvenience.
UFF DA!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » May 21, 2017, 6:53 pm

Totally agree with Jello and Vince. Personally I would like to see more especially in the early morning and late afternoon hours. Some of the worst offenders are students on their motorbikes with no helmet and most probably no license either.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 21, 2017, 7:24 pm

Thank you for the input; all makes sense. In light of your input and after further thought, we'll leave the thread open for a general discussion on this topic; however, 1) comments which are disrespectful or derogatory to the Royal Thai Police or the government will not be permitted, and 2) the thread is not for advising people of checkpoint locations.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 21, 2017, 8:57 pm

Udon Map wrote:We're not at all certain that publishing a listing of police checkpoints is going to sit terribly well with the local constabulary. Before we make a decision either way, we'd like to hear from some members on this. Opinions?
Paul

There is a local FB page dedicated to this subject we are discussing, all the check points , especially drink driving stops in the evening.

In Australia , Radio stations clearly announce mobile radar locations etc and has the police approval.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » May 22, 2017, 7:58 am

fdimike wrote:Totally agree with Jello and Vince. Personally I would like to see more especially in the early morning and late afternoon hours. Some of the worst offenders are students on their motorbikes with no helmet and most probably no license either.
I would like to add my opinion also. I am glad to see the check points. My wife and I came across an accident shortly after it happened on the 12th of this month. It occurred on the west bound lane of route 22 when a pickup truck ran off the road because the driver feel asleep. It was carrying 8, three did not survive. We watched the rescue workers try there best to revive the two ladies that were pulled out of the wreck. The two ladies did not make it. When My wife and I were watching those rescue workers work on the accident victims it reminded me that we need to give them the right of way when we see the ambulances and the rescue trucks on their way to an accident.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 22, 2017, 9:25 am

wazza wrote:
Udon Map wrote:We're not at all certain that publishing a listing of police checkpoints is going to sit terribly well with the local constabulary. Before we make a decision either way, we'd like to hear from some members on this. Opinions?
Paul

There is a local FB page dedicated to this subject we are discussing, all the check points , especially drink driving stops in the evening.

In Australia , Radio stations clearly announce mobile radar locations etc and has the police approval.
There's a similar FB group in Pattaya, sharing the information. Been on the go for years.

There's also a free app that shows the speed cameras nationwide in Thailand, constantly updating.

I was surprised to see the traffic check at the location I mentioned in the OP. I have seen them regular as clockwork on the west loop, just north of the Nong Sai/Nong Bua traffic lights, mostly in the mornings, weekdays.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about check points because no one on udon map drink and drives.ive got the perfect solution.i get so blotto that i either lose my keys or can't find my car or scooter and if I did I can't ever get the key in the ignition.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 22, 2017, 12:10 pm

personally if you re doing nothing wrong, it really matters not where the stops are. I see too many foreigners ( many westerners ) who seem to think that breaking the law is a joke ( the fines may be I agree ). Too often more than two on a motorcycles, no helmets .
Kids in back of Pick-ups ( unsupervised ) , drinking and driving and pne or two I know have no tax or even a licence , even after being here for years.

So if you flout the law , then a stop check is just what you need to be caught.

One person I know if he is drinking , rings his wife if he is unable to drive home, not that that makes a lot of difference as she has no driving licence but she turns up and drives him home . I leave you all to decide what I think about that.

“Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop.”

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 22, 2017, 12:22 pm

fdimike wrote:Totally agree with Jello and Vince. Personally I would like to see more especially in the early morning and late afternoon hours. Some of the worst offenders are students on their motorbikes with no helmet and most probably no license either.
I would like to see 30 check points all over the place pulling every car,scooter,truck breathalyser,drug test them all and search the vehicles and fine everyone for faults.this of course won't effect udmap members apart from the inconveniance but should make the roads more safer.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 23, 2017, 1:20 am

just pulled out soi sampan.the police are all over the place looking for anything that is illegal like drink driving or car Full of,idioti say just bang em up forever and the world wil be a safer place.i get pisssed as a rat but drink drivers breath smells and they talk nonsense.remeber,don't drink n drive,smoke n fly.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2017, 2:49 pm

The usual trap at the slip road just east of Big C beside the flyover. Surprised to see them out in the heat of day. Won't last long I reckon. It's Sunday after all and any farangs are most likely on their way home from from church.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Last Friday I was returning from the Military Hospital Emergency Room by way of the Ring Road headed north towards Big-C. The BIB had a "drink driving" checkpoint set up just near the Grand Hotel. The copper signaled for me to roll my window down and without saying a word he stuck what looked like the butt of a flashlight right up to my mouth and said "blow". I really couldn't make out what the object was, so I was a little taken back by the entire situation. I paused, looked at my wife for some kind of explanation, and the copper once again said "blow". I blew at the object as if I were trying to whistle while my wife told the copper that I don't drink alcohol. Suddenly, he told me to "go" and flagged me off. I have no idea what that was that he put up to my mouth, but it certainly wasn't any object that I could wrap my lips around and blow through. I honestly think that it was the butt of his flashlight and he was simply looking to get a smell of my breath as I blew. Had he smelled alcohol, then I'm sure he would have pulled me to the side and given me a more complex test. Has anyone else out there had that same experience or have any idea what that copper put up to my mouth?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 10, 2017, 10:58 am

Semp,
It is a screening device. If it lights up red then you do the blow test to determine actual blood alcohol.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 10, 2017, 11:04 am

colt1911 wrote:
July 10, 2017, 10:58 am
Semp,
It is a screening device. If it lights up red then you do the blow test to determine actual blood alcohol.
Colt, the only such devices with which I am familiar are ones where one actually wraps his/her lips around a tube which extends from the device and then measures the blood alcohol level. So, you're suggesting that this new device will measure BAL from just a blow from the breath at a distance of a few inches?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 10, 2017, 11:10 am

The screening device only determines if there is alcohol on your breath not BAL. A method to keep the process moving quickly. The second device as you describe," wraps his/her lips around a tube", test for BAL.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”