Rhubarb

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Rhubarb

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 1, 2007, 12:36 pm

Does anyone know if I can buy fresh rhubarb anywhere in Udon, have tried Lotus, Big C and a couple of the larger markets but can't find it.

Or indeed if anyone knows where I can buy seeds, or whatever needed, to grow my own I would be grateful..........I'm not green fingered but willing to try to grow it if I can.....

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 1, 2007, 12:42 pm

I can not remember that last time I had a great Rubarb Pie........yummy yummy

Pop's

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 1, 2007, 12:48 pm

My Mom may she RIP made a great Rhubarb Pie and also Shoe Fly Pie;o)

Maria Calendar had a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie but I prefer a straight Rhubarb Pie thank you.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 1, 2007, 2:03 pm

There is a lot to be said for the Marie Calender strawberry-rhubarb pie!!!Yummy :D :D

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 1, 2007, 2:13 pm

But can I buy rhubarb anywhere???

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 1, 2007, 3:48 pm

I think I saw it once but can't remember if it was Lotus or Makro.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 1, 2007, 4:20 pm

Maybe not cheap but I do beleive they will ship here.

http://gurneys.com/search.asp?ss=rubarb

ttom
udonmap.com

Rheum rhabarbarum

Post by ttom » April 1, 2007, 4:51 pm

This plant is of Asian origin. Growing it in Udon Thani province will hardly be possible since the plant need a few frosty days.

End of winter, this (bush) plant is one of the first to become green. The green leafs are frost sensitive. After 2 1/2 to 3 month it’s usually time for harvesting the first stems. Time for harvesting starts as soon as the green stems are changing into a red colour. The content of vitamins and valuable fibres are very high. Leave always 1/3 of the bush in order to allow the plant to recover. Older stem contain a lot of oxalic acid which is harmful to humans and most animals but make rhubarb welcome for champagne makers – and tanneries.

The plant needs half shadowed grounds with plenty of water but cannot stand on wet soil for long.

I have been thinking of growing some for own use but gave up. Sometimes there is frozen rhubarb available which is as good as the fresh one.

I would never agree to introduce a regionally not familiar plant to a new territory. Even a very small plant (or animal) can after a have a hug and devastating impact on the ecological environment. Therefore be careful please if you start growing or breeding something “foreign” since the original tropical eco system of Thailand already weakens steadily with the constant disappearance of natural forests.

Less than 100 years ago around 75 of Thailand was covert with rain forests. Since the “introduction” of tourism around 1967 the forests are dramatically fading – and eco problems have risen to an enormous level.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » April 1, 2007, 4:59 pm

100% right tom,
I also brought some rhubarb seed with me from Europe, about two years ago.
I tried 3 times to grow it, but no result. (still have some seeds left over to try it again!!!)
Perhaps I am not good at it, or perhaps I made some mistakes,...
On the other hand I grew many other things from seed that I brought from Europe without any problem.
The latest I am growing now is walnut trees.
Not only do I love these nuts, especially in salads,
but the mosquitoes hate these trees and can not live under these trees.
Always interesting in Thailand!!!
Also very good results with the red European radish, lavender,...

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 1, 2007, 5:47 pm

Ttom, get a grip. Planting rubarb will not cause a eco disaster. I agree you need to be careful about introducing plants or animals, but saying rubarb will cause deforestation it a bit far.

This reminds me of Happy Hanoi who informed everyone here the US war in Indochina casued prostitution.

By the way I am enjoying my Jalapeno Peppers. Sure hope the Thais that have planted them and enjoy them a lot don't read this and pull them up. :lol: :lol:

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 1, 2007, 6:15 pm

When I lived in Jomtien, I was able to buy rhubarb pies at the Food Mart grocery store. I think they were baked by Big Joe's English Foods, a local company, maybe out of Bkk.
There is a wealth of locally produced farang food items here in Thailand. Sure would be nice if some enterprising person opened a farang food food store here in Udon, similar to Food Mart in Jomtien, instead of more bars & restaurants. And, no, I'm not that enterprising person.
Getting back to the rhubarb, the only place I can think of here in Udon is Makro. Maybe, it's imported here frozen. However, I do have a vague memory of seeing fresh rhubarb once in Foodland Super Market.

ttom
udonmap.com

Rhubarb is not foreign in Asia !

Post by ttom » April 1, 2007, 6:43 pm

banpaeng wrote:Ttom, get a grip. Planting rubarb will not cause a eco disaster. I agree you need to be careful about introducing plants or animals, but saying rubarb will cause deforestation it a bit far.

This reminds me of Happy Hanoi who informed everyone here the US war in Indochina casued prostitution.

By the way I am enjoying my Jalapeno Peppers. Sure hope the Thais that have planted them and enjoy them a lot don't read this and pull them up. :lol: :lol:

Didn’t I mention before that the rhubarb is from Asian origin?

I guess growing rhubarb in Chiang Rai or Mae Hong Song mountains might be possible.

Rhubarb doesn’t need good soil to grow properly. But some attention is necessary: Not all day sunshine, frequent watering but not so much water; pick it as soon as possible. And some days with light frost.

My comment regarding “foreign plants” was a general one, not referring just to rhubarb. I would like to extent this also to animals. I am sorry if I might have caused some confusion.

I remember frozen rhubarb from Lotus Tesco once. I’ve made compote with cooked pieces and strawberries. Since my folks weren’t too much fond of it, I haven’t bought it any more.

In Korea I've been served a lovely and refreshing dish with hot and spicy rhubarb compote.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 1, 2007, 6:56 pm

Rhubarb grew on our farm in up State NY we didn't do anything special, it just showed up every year.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 1, 2007, 7:14 pm

Rhubarb loves S*it (manure/Horse crap) i remember my dad(in UK) used to get rhubarb come up each year after year after year from the same plant. Great with creamy Custard.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » April 1, 2007, 7:22 pm

Rhubarb grew on our farm as well but I remeber after spraying for noxious weed it would disapear n those area for good. Geneticaly it must be noxious weed like. As a kid we always called it "Rhubarf" but as I have grown older I really enjoy rhubarb strawberry pies.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 1, 2007, 7:28 pm

whoops forgot to mention...never seen it and don't know where you would get it in Udon/Los.

Maybe if you made a Greenhouse(glasshouse) but made it work in reverse, and installed AC in it you may get it to grow. just thinking out loud :-k probably better just to remember how it was back home...ohh the sweet memories. :)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 1, 2007, 7:35 pm

Good one BM. It is funny that when you are in the land of smiles, you long for something back home and when back home you long for something in the land of smiles. :lol: Reckon we ever get satisfied. Nah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 2, 2007, 8:55 am

In the US I purchased a rhubarb root instead of seeds. By accident my compost pile was adjacent to the rhubarb plant. It was a very healthy and productive plant. I needed the rhubarb for my rhubarb-strawberry pies.

Anyone hear of olive trees growing in Thailand?

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » April 2, 2007, 12:50 pm

Thailand is full of olive trees,
but not the same species.
They like to eat them sweet or pickled
You can see them in stands along the street in big glass jars with the green/yellow olives in there.
They are also bigger

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 3, 2007, 8:58 am

I've just asked a family member in the UK to send me some rhubarb seeds.......Not sure if they'll get here but worth a try. Doesn't look like I can buy it so - oh well- give it a go....
I also remember my Mum getting horse shi* delivered in a sack and her using it in the garden, we always had good rhubarb...wonder if it'll take to cow shi*...the TW's Brother uses it on all the veggies he grows and the crop is usually real good.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”