VPNs

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

VPNs

Post by BobHelm » November 28, 2016, 9:06 am

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a way of altering your IP address so that sites you visit cannot 'record' that your actual location visited them.
Instead of connecting directly to the Internet you connect via a remote server. It is the IP address of this server that is displayed to sites you visit, rather than your own.

There are many (legitimate & not quite so innocent :D ) reasons why any individual might want to do that. All the remaining torrent sites, for example, suggest that you do not download any torrents without having a VPN in place because of potential legal issues. Equally, certain sites will only allow IP addresses geographically resident in the same country to visit them.

Personally I have used a paid for VPN supplier called StrongVPN for a number of years, but this is not intended to be an advert for them :D . There are plenty of other paid for services out there that are equally reliable. If you pay for a VPN connection then you are far more likely to get a secure & fast connection than if you do not pay.

However, many people don't want to splash out cash but do want to protect themselves.
For them there are a large number of free VPN services available. Many of these free options do not provide a very good service at all - usually because their servers are so busy that the connection speed to the Internet slows down to a crawl.

For anyone using the Chrome (or Chromium on Linux) Browser there is a very useful 'add on' called Browsec. This sits on the menu bar & allows you to switch to a free VPN server just by clicking on it. There are free servers in Holland, Singapore, UK & USA. A not extensive list, but enough for most uses. The advantage is that it is just the click of a button to turn it on, or off, without needing to restart the Browser.
Bowsec also works as an add on for FireFox, but seems to be restricted to just the Dutch server there - so not useful for iplayer, for example.

It is certainly a good free alternative available to anyone who doesn't like the idea of every bit of their browsing life being available to just about anyone that wants to view it!!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: VPNs

Post by the-monk » November 28, 2016, 9:26 am

BobHelm is right and FYI here are my choices.

Other VPNs you might want to consider.

1 -- OPERA ( the browser company ) offers a Free VPN with the Developper version of its browser for PC. It works similarly to Chrome VPN browser, meaning it protects you Only when communicating via the browser,

2 -- OPERA for Android is a full fledge VPN and free.... Smooth operation with several server locations. Changing server location is super easy and fast.

3 -- TUNNEL BEAR ranks among the best VPNs and gives you 500 Mb / month free..

I routinely run the above VPNs and very seldom encountered any problem.

Whenever i need to reach my bank, or any other government offices back home i always connect using a VPN.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 28, 2016, 9:42 am

Another one click, free and unlimited VPN very easy to use is Hola.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 28, 2016, 12:39 pm

Cyber Ghost gives you 3 Hours FREE A Day,But you can pay for an Upgrade then you get 24/7 cover,I Just renewed mine for 13.50 GBP For the next 12 Months.....Reduced from 45.00 GBP In " The Black Friday " Sale....Good Deal IMHO...

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 28, 2016, 12:48 pm

Hi UM members !

Well i say this..tryed many..Opera free VPN is deadly slow,but that said..IP-Vanish..yes i pay around 2500/year and in my eyes one of the best on the market..I've used it now for 2 years straight,during that time they upgraded the amount of countrys/server locations from 200+--->todays 500+..Superb support.

My 2500bath worth.. 8) Have a good day everyone.

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » November 29, 2016, 7:37 am

I use a service called Hide My Ass to get around web-sites blocked in Thailand.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » November 29, 2016, 9:18 am

DuiDui49 wrote:..Opera free VPN is deadly slow,
I disagree! I find it works very well... ping tests outside the country are giving me the same speed with it turned on or off.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 29, 2016, 9:23 am

God morning Mr.Strevo !

Well in all honestly i've only tryed ONCE..then i went back to IP-Vanish..So maybe we can agree to dissagree my friend ;)

Have a good one Stevo :-)

Stevo wrote:
DuiDui49 wrote:..Opera free VPN is deadly slow,
I disagree! I find it works very well... ping tests outside the country are giving me the same speed with it turned on or off.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » February 21, 2017, 4:41 pm

BobHelm wrote:A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a way of altering your IP address so that sites you visit cannot 'record' that your actual location visited them.
Instead of connecting directly to the Internet you connect via a remote server. It is the IP address of this server that is displayed to sites you visit, rather than your own.

For anyone using the Chrome (or Chromium on Linux) Browser there is a very useful 'add on' called Browsec. This sits on the menu bar & allows you to switch to a free VPN server just by clicking on it. There are free servers in Holland, Singapore, UK & USA. A not extensive list, but enough for most uses. The advantage is that it is just the click of a button to turn it on, or off, without needing to restart the Browser.
Bowsec also works as an add on for FireFox, but seems to be restricted to just the Dutch server there - so not useful for iplayer, for example.
Firefox's menu is 3 horizontal bars at the upper right corner. When I click on it, I can go to a "New Private Window".
Chrome's menu is 3 vertical balls at the upper right corner. When I click on it I can go to an "Incognito Tab".
Are these the browsers VPN's???
the-monk wrote:Whenever i need to reach my bank, or any other government offices back home i always connect using a VPN.
That is exactly why I am interested in a VPN...contacting a "government office". However, since I only need to contact this particular office every 7-8 years (last personnel contact: 2007), there is no need for a full- time VPN?
Which VPN offers monthly rates?
Seems like the the internet has come a long way since 2007.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » February 23, 2017, 10:21 pm

Hotspot Shield free VPN ,, if available in Thailand?
ลุงลี

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 24, 2017, 7:46 am

Private browsing is just that.
No record (in theory :D ) is kept on the computer that you are using of where you have been & any cookies that a site downloaded to you are deleted when you exit.
Your actual IP address is still given out to the world though so if you attempt to go onto a site that you are geographically not permitted to be on then that site will know & refuse you access.

VPNs are servers (real or virtual) that reside in the country that you wish your IP address to appear to be from. Your real IP address contacts that server then the server contacts the site you wish to contact. Hence the site you are contacting sees the server IP address & not your real IP address.

Some VPN providers deliberately keep no records of any activity & so cannot be legally compelled by the authorities to release any personal browsing history, others do keep records.

For the situation that you outline jingjai I would be very surprised if you need to pay for a VPN.
The Browsec addon for Google Chrome sounds ideal & free for you!!

marcudon
udonmap.com

Post by marcudon » February 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Good morning BobHelm,
I use browsec since last november as you recommended and it works great!
Thanks.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Here is how to get & enable Browsec in Google Chrome.

1. Open up the Chrome Browser & click on the 3 dots in the far right hand corner of the Browser Bar, then click on More Tools, Extensions
get extensions.png
2. Select Get More Extensions from the Window
extensions.png
extensions.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
3. This takes you to the Extension Store. Enter the word Browsec in the search window, then Install when it is found.
chrome store.png
4. After installation, restart the Chrome Browser & you will see this new symbol in your Browser Header..
Browsec.png
The icon in the middle of the 3
Browsec.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
5. To turn Browsec on or off just mouse click the icon.
turn Browsec on or off.png
turn Browsec on or off.png (40.26 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
6. You can also change the VPN server address from this screen by clicking on change..
Change location.png
Change location.png (38.33 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
Hope that helps.. :D

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 24, 2017, 6:40 pm

Bob.. what do you reckon about actual METAL box VPNs.. as opposed to online options..

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 4, 2017, 1:51 pm

Following the recommendations on here for Browsec I thought I would try it, with the following result . Yesterday installed the free version , choosing a UK server. Worked so well I thought of cancelling my paid service IP Vanish, today however a completely different experience. Started by not being able to get the Daily Mail, just the Thai censor, went back to Google sign on page found that showed me as being in Iraq, a country not even in the list of free servers. Tried all the four that were on offer in the freebie version not one bypassed the Thai censor, despite turning my computer on and off several times. Checked on Okla speed test, showed a UK server, but very slow. Now when I try to sign in to several other of my favourite sites it is showing "not available, using vpn or tor browser". Am I just unlucky or is this normal. Maybe the subscribed version is better. Anyone have experience of this?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 4, 2017, 2:19 pm

Liam Dale wrote:Bob.. what do you reckon about actual METAL box VPNs.. as opposed to online options..
Sorry Liam, I have only just seen your message.

I don't have any personal experience of them & have only ever used software rather than hardware.
My understanding is that what they do give you is greater assurance of security, so are possibly of greatest benefit to a business who wants to ensure that staff can communicate completely in privacy.

I have never had the problem you describe Val.

You could have tried cleaning out any Chrome cookies..
Open Chrome.
On your browser toolbar, tap More .
Tap History, and then tap Clear browsing data.
Under "Clear browsing data," select the checkboxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files.
Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. ...
Tap Clear browsing data.
I just tried the Daily Mail via Browsec & it connected immediately...

However, in general, a good 'paid for' VPN will usually be better than a free one.
Strong, for example, limit the number of users allowed to use any one server, the free ones do not restrict users & so speed will undoubtedly suffer..

markhascole

Post by markhascole » May 30, 2017, 12:26 pm

In my opinion, Express was the best.
source
https://www.expressvpn.com/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 30, 2017, 6:35 pm

Why was it the best?
How was it better than any other paid for supplier??
How is it better than a free provider??

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » May 31, 2017, 3:50 am

private Internet access is probably the most trusted VPN. VPNs are illegal in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 31, 2017, 7:50 am

greatsnake wrote: VPNs are illegal in Thailand.
Can you provide a link to show that as being true?
Any information that I have seen says the exact opposite - that the use of VPNs is perfectly legal in Thailand.
Indeed the MICT minister said recently in the Bangkok Post that even the use of proxies is not illegal. His words were..
using proxies to access illegal sites are illegal, whereas using proxies to access legal sites is legal
given that it is difficult to see how the use of VPNs is illegal.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”