Another nail in the coffin for Kodi as three popular add ons forced to shut down

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Another nail in the coffin for Kodi as three popular add ons forced to shut down

Post by tamada » June 3, 2017, 10:20 am

If it carries on like this, if I want to watch catch the SKY News newspaper review or watch the real BBC, I will need to go home. Football never featured on my radar so I won't miss something that doesn't interest me but the EPL and BBC inspired dragnet seems to be catching all the minnows as well.

I know I can catch most of these by subscribing to the licensed providers but beyond charging an arm and a leg for generally rubbish service with poor content and scatter-gun scheduling, the 'licensed' news portals all tend to be edited for overseas redistribution and don't have the handy options of replay/recording stuff for later viewing.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Re: Another nail in the coffin for Kodi as three popular add ons forced to shut down

Post by vidmaster » June 3, 2017, 9:29 pm

What's situation if just use KODI on laptop without a box or stick or dongle?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 3, 2017, 9:53 pm

Exactly the same.
Any build from a builder who is UK based will quickly disappear if it has not already.
Most of the programmers were doing it for a hobby rather than cash & no one is going to risk 10 years inside for a bit of a laugh.
I am guessing that as time moves on people outside the reach of the UK authorities will create new builds, but, personally I wouldn't currently buy an Android box & set up Kodi on the base of that!! :D

Nevoil
udonmap.com

Post by Nevoil » June 3, 2017, 10:22 pm

Hi
I downloaded Kodi, it's latest download and to me it was nonsense !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Will keep to what I use and know thank you all. :D :D

Happy Streamer :-" :-"

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » June 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Has UK TURKS LIST gone now as well?
If so any suggestions for an add on to get USA sports channels e.g NBC Golf Channel Fox sports etc?
I've no interest in Premier League Fairies Football
Thanks

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 10, 2017, 5:18 pm

Vid:

Get "Made in Canada"

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » June 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Thanks Charlieb
Will try
So Ukturks is toast then?

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » June 10, 2017, 10:08 pm

Does it matter that I'm currently in uk or will it only work in Thailand
I have VPN should I pick a non uk city?
Sorry to be a nuisance

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » June 10, 2017, 10:10 pm

vidmaster wrote:Thanks Charlieb
Will try
So Ukturks is toast then?

Guys you really need to stop believing the hype.
All of this is just temporary and when addons go down new ones rise from the ashes like a Phoenix (pardon the pun) but yes even the Phoenix Dev is back with a new addon.
Ukturk is just waiting for his new server and many others have already found new homes.
My box is fully loaded again and rocking and rolling.
So chill out and relax all will be made clear soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 14, 2017, 7:34 am

http://tech.thaivisa.com/piracy-lawsuit ... ion/22250/
Two popular Kodi add ons are being sued in a federal court in Texas over copyright infringement, in what is the latest blow for the online streaming community.

Last week, third party add ons Zem TV and TVAddons library were the subject of a complaint by American satellite and broadcast provider Dish Network.

Dish Network argues that its content is being live streamed for free via the Kodi ad ons and is demanding $150,000 per copyright infringement, Torrent Freak reported.

“The ZemTV service is retransmitting these channels over the internet to end-users that download the ZemTV add-on for the Kodi media player, which is available for download at the websites [of add-on repository TVAddons].”

The defendant’s profit from this scheme by encouraging ZemTV add-on users to make donations through Amazon or using PayPal.”
https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-turmoil-c ... rs-170613/
TVAddons, the leading library for unofficial Kodi add-ons, has mysteriously disappeared. The site's domain names have become unresponsive after the DNS entries were removed. It's unclear why these drastic actions were taken, but since TVAddons was sued last week, some fear the worst.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2017, 10:35 am

alanhass wrote: Guys you really need to stop believing the hype.
All of this is just temporary and when addons go down new ones rise from the ashes like a Phoenix (pardon the pun) but yes even the Phoenix Dev is back with a new addon.
Ukturk is just waiting for his new server and many others have already found new homes.

Really?

Kodi in turmoil as Netflix, Amazon, Sky and Warner Brothers join forces and major add-on library VANISHES

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/3790744/k ... -vanishes/

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » June 14, 2017, 12:24 pm

tamada wrote:
alanhass wrote: Guys you really need to stop believing the hype.

Really?

Kodi in turmoil as Netflix, Amazon, Sky and Warner Brothers join forces and major add-on library VANISHES

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/3790744/k ... -vanishes/

It's called click bait and false news.
The library you are referring to had a security issue and has been taken off line by the owners. It's currently being upgraded and being made more secure.

I don't know which is worse, all the false news or the people that believe it without actually doing a bit of research.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2017, 2:48 pm

alanhass wrote:

It's called click bait and false news.
The library you are referring to had a security issue and has been taken off line by the owners. It's currently being upgraded and being made more secure.

I don't know which is worse, all the false news or the people that believe it without actually doing a bit of research.

I think false news is something relevant to US politics. I take it your 'bit of research' is scrabbling around the 'net looking for alternative streamers while they still exist.

You are suggesting that several kodi-enabled free streaming television and movie providers have suddenly and simultaneously become aware of security issues and have voluntarily shut down while their brand new, more secure servers are being upgraded and relocated all around the same time as some of them are being actively sued in courts inspired by the well publicized and decidedly not false legal actions led by the EPL. This is notably broadly concurrent with well respected online sources of the hardware removing these items from their online auctions or stores.

I am all for free access to non-subscription streaming video but the whole premise of watching decent quality live stuff on kodi was already somewhat diminished by the need to keep massaging it and searching for alternative streams as sources got unplugged or otherwise turned up dead. Maybe the actions of 'ACE' and other organizations will ultimately lead to a comparatively trouble-free kodi experience where after the purging of illegal streams, one can turn it on and find stuff is still where it was last night... or even a few hours ago.

Hopefully, this will happen once the penny drops with these geeks and they realize that streaming content without a subscription is more trouble than it is worth.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”