Tipping / Service Charges etc

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
wazza
udonmap.com

Tipping / Service Charges etc

Post by wazza » June 27, 2017, 7:24 am

Last few months, Ive noted that some restaurants I have dined at are charging 5-10% service charge.

I know many of the 5 star hotels charge this , Accor Group anyway and this includes 10% service charge on all the food and Bev down to the minibar.

Accor , do pass this on to their staff, across the board. , but it also used to subsidise their staff canteen as well.

However the staff say that many are paid just the basic minimum wage and the tips and service charge bump them over the line etc.

These staff are still expecting tips from the customers on top of the 10% service charge

S& P in Central have a service charge, for what, lets be realistic.... Black Canyon dont... so a better option for some perhaps ??

Phone Accessory shop in Central has a tip box FFS.

EGM Bowling - Service charge

read this article last night

http://www.traveller.com.au/rules-of-ti ... rse-gwuod4

For me , I would prefer any charges to be rolled into the cost of services / consumption etc and tipping is optional.

Simple - if service is poor etc No tip.

Certainly seems to be a cultural behavioral issue for some nationalities.

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Tipping / Service Charges etc

Post by Udon Map » June 27, 2017, 8:51 am

One of the issues in some businesses, wazza, is that without a globally imposed service charge which is divided up among all the non-management staff, only customer-facing staff would receive tips. This is a particular problem, for example, in hotels, where there may well be more staff in the back than in the front. The bigger problem, as I see it, is unscrupulous owners/management who don't give the entire service charge to the staff.

In Bangkok hotels, the service charge is a significant part of the total compensation for many/most employees, sometimes even exceeding their wages by a non-trivial amount.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 27, 2017, 10:49 am

Dunkin' Donuts in Nong Khai also have a TIP Box,For What ?? Putting their quite expensive donuts in a box.....I NEVER Leave a TIP When their is a 10% Service Charge in the small print on a Menu ANYWHERE !!!!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 27, 2017, 10:56 am

Me just wonder if anyone explained why a customer tip staff,in Thailand that is.Seems to me that staff just expect tip whithout really understand the basics for tipping...GOOD SERVICE.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » June 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

If the staff member waiting on my table is excellent, I give them a tip directly -- hand to hand; and then usually leave a small tip with the bin (that is usually divided among all staff).

I'm sure those merchants in Central Plaza have a huge overhead. They may be trying to fudge on wages to help themselves cover it. If the establishment has a mandatory service charge, I only continue to return as long as the service/product is good. If not, they don't see me again.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 27, 2017, 3:50 pm

I don't tip in hotels in Thailand for that reason. That's what the service charge is for.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 27, 2017, 4:07 pm

I always leave my small change for a tip to the local eateries and bar type places similar to what you see in Soi Sampan, don't eat in the Posh places much, but for those I give what I think they deserve from me.

The local sit outside type places usually have some good workers who are only on maybe the 300/day rate. Not much incentive with that day salary rate to provide 3 , 4 or 5 star service.
5 , 10 or 20 baht ain't much to give. Any way it makes me feel good and not a cheap Charlie.
As most will have noticed your change is always broken into smaller change so that a small tip can be left with ease.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”