Serious Traffic Hazard

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Serious Traffic Hazard

Post by parrot » July 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

The vendors on the side of the road with the red/blue strobe lights are selling the rubber windshield washer refills. You'll usually see a sign a few hundred meters ahead saying something to the effect
'ยางบปัดน้ำฝน' == windshield wipers. They're trash.....much better to buy the real mccoy from a reputable dealer.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Took camera with me on the school run this afternoon and took a couple of pics of the new U Turns on route.
I still do not understand why they have made the new u turn 30 meters from the old and still active one. I assume the current U turn will be taken out during the road works, but why install the deathtrap days before you are going to actually need it?
IMG_6077UM.jpg
IMG_6079UM.jpg
IMG_6080um.jpg
and on the way back .....

IMG_6081um.jpg
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6086um.jpg
IMG_6087um.jpg
IMG_6092UM.jpg

Yes the Merc in pic 2 the White Hatch in pic 5 and the pick up in pic 8 are ALL crossing whats left of the "Hash marks" to get to the garage or the turning 20 yards further up the road, and yes they are virtually impossible to see when travelling from the opposite direction.

Note the bus leaving it a bit late to change lanes

Oh And Yes the Fortuner has just done a "U Turn round the posts ........ probably didnt see the friggin* great concrete barriers that he's just driven past or perhaps he didn't want to walk the 10 yards back down the road to the garden centre.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 18, 2017, 7:19 pm

TIT why make it easy as Thais have no common sense when it comes driving a motor vehicle or riding a motor bike.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 18, 2017, 10:11 pm

Driver behaviour not foreign objects.

Taking short cuts no matter what.

Darwin candicates

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 18, 2017, 11:32 pm

Forgot to mention, whilst I was there (2 or 3 mins) SIX motorbikes and a tuk-tuk came from the soi on the right (bottom pic) crossed the Southbound carriageway, went between the 3 orange/white poles and headed off Northbound :shock:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Thats why water baricades wont work as the locals will empty them and move them

Nothing like Thais being told to correct their driving behaviors.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 19, 2017, 11:38 am

wazza wrote:
July 19, 2017, 11:30 am
Thats why water baricades wont work as the locals will empty them and move them

Nothing like Thais being told to correct their driving behaviors.
Water barricades to preserve life upon impact not for anything else. They can be connected into a single run and water / sand / both mixed can be locked in.

Remove / reduce / reposition the concrete before a life is taken.

Driver habits well known by authorities & they don't care, -very obvious, as is noted by the ER staff at the main hospital.

Terrible traffic engineering. There are alternatives. The barrier set in pic #3 is a good one for the curved portion, augmented with sandbags.

The idea in life is to change what you can in this case the barrier setup or add a longer run of collision-absorbing barriers (reducing the concrete segment by 6 meters and adding collision absorbers (pic#4) 6 meters would do it., not point the finger at what can't be changed. Practical minds know this. Judgemental ones don't.

In this case action taken for preservation of life trumps judgemental inaction. Not assailing on any one person's position but the preceding words have merit.

Add more collision protection at the frontage. Measure most recent skid marks for best rating of stopping distance required. Pic #4 setup @4 to 6 meters is a winner. Reduce the chance of vehicular contact with the deadly concrete. Place your vote.

The debate continues.
Attachments
Water_Filled_Barrier.jpg
tritonbarrier.jpg
tritonbarrier.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
strongwall-road_1.jpg
80_824_325_absorbhero2.png

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 19, 2017, 1:05 pm

JJ

It would take 2 committees to be created for the purchase of these barriers

( 1 for each side of the road )

At least 3 overseas trips to view these in situ. Pictures can be photo shopped.

Multiple venue committee meetings to review each trip. Video conferencing just doesnt get that group bonding.

Expenses would be complex as the committee members will need to set up a consulting company to actually then charge the Tesabaan for the detailed 3 page report ( inc pictures ) . The Company could then obtain inflated quotes from various supply chains and then split it evenly at the BMW or Benz dealership.

Bomb scanners, Fire trucks, Ambulances all good examples of how successful outsourcing can be .

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 19, 2017, 1:12 pm

wazza wrote:
July 19, 2017, 1:05 pm
JJ

It would take 2 committees to be created for the purchase of these barriers

( 1 for each side of the road )

At least 3 overseas trips to view these in situ. Pictures can be photo shopped.

Multiple venue committee meetings to review each trip. Video conferencing just doesnt get that group bonding.

Expenses would be complex as the committee members will need to set up a consulting company to actually then charge the Tesabaan for the detailed 3 page report ( inc pictures ) . The Company could then obtain inflated quotes from various supply chains and then split it evenly at the BMW or Benz dealership.

Bomb scanners, Fire trucks, Ambulances all good examples of how successful outsourcing can be .
Wait you forgot the elaborate banquets held in that side room at Raibaan Patchinee or is that in your multiple venue committee notes oh and the requisite knitted polo shirts with new "dept of crash barriers" name, also of course blue bike lanes must be added to this at the parking areas on each side of road. #-o

below is the head honcho it seems the one with all the badges, his obedient underlings making sure to lay back at least a meter, one even clad in blue wading boots... looks like he's saying "ah there's another one crashing now"...
Attachments
20121506_893971917408952_2862691182770955524_o.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 19, 2017, 2:07 pm

Reminds me of North Korea. Khun Kim Nivea ( Barrier Man )

Bottom line to me on this subject , wrong solution physically, Driver Education / Behaviour and knee jerk reactions.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » July 19, 2017, 2:10 pm

I always thought that road barriers in Thailand were purchased at Toys'r'us \:D/
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2017, 2:18 pm

Looks like the Great North Ring Road Fubar is imminent with crews ripping out all the trees on the wide, 250 meter long 'boulevard' fronting the shop houses on the northeast corner of the junction (the one where all the insurance companies are cohabiting).

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

it's got a new name

Dysfunction Junction \:D/
Attachments
Udon-Thani-Ring-Road-Flyover-Bridge-Road-Work.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 19, 2017, 3:01 pm

Apples and oranges. Developed country/developing country. It'll happen in Thailand.......but maybe not in our lifetime.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2017, 3:57 pm

jimjay wrote:
July 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
it's got a new name

Dysfunction Junction \:D/
Thanks for the pic. Looks like I will get to/from the pub quicker!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 19, 2017, 4:00 pm

I forsee the newer Tescos increasing business a lot more, me I will go the on the Ring Road to the NBL section and turn into that Tescos, rather than risk the mayhem, at this junction.
Plus going through town to get to Nong sam rong, not the ring road.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

parrot wrote:
July 19, 2017, 3:01 pm
Apples and oranges. Developed country/developing country. It'll happen in Thailand.......but maybe not in our lifetime.
All I can say is it's a total load of bollards.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 19, 2017, 4:38 pm

The Intergrated Road Traffic Engineers graduating late last year, and then transferred to an inactive post in Udon I believe.. Im sure the original caption is incorrect.
Attachments
Traffic Engineers Graduate.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2017, 5:58 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 17, 2017, 5:25 pm
Drove past about an hour ago, and it looked like workers (hardhats) were about to do something there with the concrete barriers (Remove them??). Perhaps the public outcry has forced a "U turn" with their thinking already BEFORE the fatalities mount up :shock:
Yes, the absurd lane-blocking concrete barriers on the ring-road west of the traffic lights have been moved in line with the filter lanes for the u-turns. Now it's just a case of watching out for the gap-shooters dawdling across from the Tesco-Lotus exit and the reduced numbers of motorbikes attempting to zig-zag the wrong way through the u-turn.

Still looks like an accident waiting to happen on the Udondutsadi south of the traffic lights though with only some additional plastic poles and bollards being tacked on the lethal, pointy ends.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 19, 2017, 7:12 pm

Jimjay said " Place your vote"

well as I'm now well into my second decade in Udon, I feel that I have become able to judge these matters as well as most of the locals :-k :-k :-k

I'm of the opinion that they are all quite nice, and the orange/white curved ones are quite pretty, but they would really look much better if they were red/blue. As none of the plastic ones are able to be painted red/blue I'm going to have to plump for the concrete ones painted ..... and could we get some red/blue strobe lights to attach to them please 8-[

Return to “Travel & Transport”