Dunkirk - The Movie

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
wazza
udonmap.com

Dunkirk - The Movie

Post by wazza » July 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Excellent reviews world wide and now in Udon at Central Major with English language.

1440 and 1940 hrs

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-20/d ... on/8726430

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Re: Dunkirk - The Movie

Post by UdonThaniPete » July 20, 2017, 11:22 am

wazza wrote:
July 20, 2017, 10:52 am
Excellent reviews world wide and now in Udon at Central Major with English language.

1440 and 1940 hrs

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-20/d ... on/8726430
May be a stupid question wazza, but I have never been to the cinema here in Udon, do the Thais talk on their mobile phones or noisy during the movies, just asking as this would put me of going, if they don't I will definitely go and watch this move, looks very good.
Thanks in advance.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 20, 2017, 12:39 pm

There is a 15 second advert about the use of mobile phones during the screening .

Im sure some just turn off the alarms, but those that sit near me havent used them.

Agree that even the light from the mobile screen could be off putting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that are familiar with the history of Dunkirk, I was privileged years ago when working in Tasmania , to provide clinical care to a patient called " Peter Wright " Author of Spycatcher. Had a massive fight in the High Court of Australia over his rights to publish his book.

Peter was 1 of the first scientists attached to the Admiralty Research Laboratory during the war and his department directly saved the lives of 10000's of evacuated soldiers.
" The Admiralty Research Laboratory's contribution to winning the war has been much undervalued. One of the most pressing problems facing Britain at the outbreak of war was the threat of magnetic mines. ARL began work on developing degaussing systems to neutralize our ships' magnetic fields and thus protect them. Without a really effective system our ability to fight on in 1940 would have been seriously in question.

At Dunkirk, for instance, thousands of mines littered the shallow waters off the coast. Hitler was convinced that these would prevent any mass evacuation of British forces. Butterworth knew that the German mines worked North Pole downward only, and suggested we magnetize our ships South Pole downward so that the ships repelled the mines. The Admiralty embarked on a massive program of reversing the magnetism of all the ships going to Dunkirk. The result was that not a single ship was lost to mines."
I still very clearly remember saying to him on 1 transfer to hospital " Thanks for what you did back at Dunkirk "

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 20, 2017, 1:49 pm

Wright was probably The First " M "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... right.html

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » July 23, 2017, 9:40 pm

Wazza, I finally got round to going to the cinema this afternoon here in Udon, I really enjoyed the movie and the cinema was excellent, I highly recommend. A movie like this deserves to be watched on the big screen and an awesome sound system. Thanks for the recommendation.
I am the latter.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 24, 2017, 7:20 am

Before I moved to UT I lived in Ramsgate where the majority of the little ships came from and a couple of years ago they had a rerun to celebrate the 75th anniversary. It was a filthy day but people turned out in their thousands to watch the ships crossing the channel as they did back then. Until recently, one of the boats used in the movie )which wasn't really old enough to have taken part) was moored in Ramsgate Royal Marina but the Local Council forced them to leave by doubling their mooring fees, a great way to lose what has become a huge tourist attraction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ships_of_Dunkirk

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/the-p22 ... -for-good/
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 24, 2017, 10:42 am

Vince

Tragic set of circumstances IMO

Dunkirk from what I have read etc was a major defeat, but without the human resources saved on that operation there would never have been an opportunity to reclaim Europe later.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 24, 2017, 10:43 am

UdonThaniPete wrote:
July 23, 2017, 9:40 pm
Wazza, I finally got round to going to the cinema this afternoon here in Udon, I really enjoyed the movie and the cinema was excellent, I highly recommend. A movie like this deserves to be watched on the big screen and an awesome sound system. Thanks for the recommendation.
Not a bad film IMO, sadly no reference to the science behind it all, but thats Hollywood

Hope the phones and gossip didnt put you off, but you would be struggling to hear them over the soundtrack.

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » July 24, 2017, 12:10 pm

wazza wrote:
July 24, 2017, 10:43 am
UdonThaniPete wrote:
July 23, 2017, 9:40 pm
Not a bad film IMO, sadly no reference to the science behind it all, but thats Hollywood

Hope the phones and gossip didnt put you off, but you would be struggling to hear them over the soundtrack.
No mobile phones or gossip, I was really surprised, in fact deadly silence throughout, I was probably makeing more noise with my popcorn, must admit the soundtrack was awesome.
I am the latter.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

bobmann

Post by bobmann » December 20, 2017, 5:10 pm

Very good review. I am too lazy to watch this movie. I don't miss any Nolan movies but I am bored to war movies. That why I'm slow guys. Will watch it in the weekend.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 21, 2017, 12:58 pm

Watched the movie and wasn't overly impressed.

Came across as being done "on the cheap" and some of the acting was a bit amateurish

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 21, 2017, 7:33 pm

You might like to watch the 1958 original British movie 'Dunkirk', with John Mills, Jack Hawkins and Richard Attenborough. This gives a reserved and low key approach and was highly acclaimed at the time (when there were still thousands of people who were alive at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation). An excellent film and well worth watching. It can be found on Youtube.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » December 21, 2017, 8:17 pm

Bonanza wrote:
December 21, 2017, 7:33 pm
You might like to watch the 1958 original British movie 'Dunkirk', with John Mills, Jack Hawkins and Richard Attenborough. This gives a reserved and low key approach and was highly acclaimed at the time (when there were still thousands of people who were alive at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation). An excellent film and well worth watching. It can be found on Youtube.
I totally agree with your opinion Bonanza; a far superior caste of actors, and a superior production. No comparison between the two; which is more often than not the case when an updated version of an old movie is produced.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » December 21, 2017, 9:44 pm

Watched it at the cinema ,excellent film. =D>

rods1201
udonmap.com

Post by rods1201 » December 22, 2017, 5:09 pm

I am an ex vietnam vet and while I fully appreciate what happened at Dunkirk. I would give this movie 5 out of 10, mainly because I got tired of watching a spitfire (I love the plane itself) run out of fuel and yet still managed to fly around, glide around and shoot down an enemy plane and then land safely on the beach.!

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 7:20 pm

not even in the top half of war movies.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 10, 2020, 10:30 am

since the cinema may never re-open, i was quite
pleased to discover " the dirty dozen " 1969 had been uploaded in good quality on utube. good film

for you brits i believe "zulu " 1965 is there in it's
entirety. i may try and watch that today if i can
fight the gag reflex. of the little lobsters at work

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 10, 2020, 6:30 pm

rods1201 wrote:
December 22, 2017, 5:09 pm
I am an ex vietnam vet and while I fully appreciate what happened at Dunkirk. I would give this movie 5 out of 10, mainly because I got tired of watching a spitfire (I love the plane itself) run out of fuel and yet still managed to fly around, glide around and shoot down an enemy plane and then land safely on the beach.!
Excellent piloting skills or have I missed the point 😹

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 10, 2020, 6:30 pm

mech_401 wrote:
September 10, 2020, 10:30 am
since the cinema may never re-open, i was quite
pleased to discover " the dirty dozen " 1969 had been uploaded in good quality on utube. good film

for you brits i believe "zulu " 1965 is there in it's
entirety. i may try and watch that today if i can
fight the gag reflex. of the little lobsters at work
Weren't you an extra on the Zulu side

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”