Debit or Credit cards

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
trubrit
udonmap.com

Debit or Credit cards

Post by trubrit » August 12, 2017, 10:04 am

Tried to use my long time held Bangkok bank debit card this week only for the machine to swallow it and tell me "card withdrawn contact a customer service representative "So into the bank I trotted and a young lady got the key to open the machine, lo and behold there was my card with a handful of others in there .Back inside she told me due to scammers operating locally they are withdrawing all the present cards and replacing them with a more secure version, no charge to me though .So I sat there and did all the paperwork for a new card including a new pin number, took half hour to do . given new card which was headed Be 1st smart card and told "can use same as old card".LIARS, while I withdrew money from the ATM no problem, when I got home and cancelled my Pay PaL registration and tried to record my new card details it wouldn't process them, so I contacted them for an answer, in the meantime while awaiting a reply I tried to top up my phones on line, which I do reguarly without problem, but neither AIS or DTac would accept the new card .Getting worried I tried a few other suppliers I normally use on line, none of them would process the transaction .I then got a phone call from an advisor at Pay Pal who informed me my new card number wasn't recognised, so I inspected it more thoroughly and noticed the card no longer had the Visa insignia on it but had instead a Union Pay logo.Now an on line search revealed this is a new company from China, founded in 2002 attempting to out the established credit card companies .Whilst it is gaining acceptance world wide for ATM use it is not so readily accepted by on line traders as I had found out. So I am stuck for buying on line at present but I am going into BB head office next week to hopefully get an approved by Visa card issued again .If they won't not sure what I can do .Anyone else had this problem?

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Re: Debit or Credit cards

Post by Liam Dale » August 12, 2017, 10:11 am

The digits printed on one of my Bangkok Bank visa debit cards have faded badly so I called into a branch to get/buy a new one. YOU CAN'T NOW! Visa is going.. and being replaced by UnionPay - the big China version.

I declined the offer.. better an old plastic that still works in an ATM and I write down the number somewhere. (expiry date, code on back all fine).

Then I know the card will continue to work on the internet which is where it gets used the most.

Has anyone had their card changed to UnionPay and found it fine? The word Visa has played a large part in my life for many years - I wonder why BKK bank are dropping it in favour of the Chinese version.

Apparently its the 3rd largest card after Visa and MasterCard - welcome in 141 countries.

Before I dump my Visa for the Chinese alternative.. I'd be glad if someone else risked theirs and put feedback here. ;-)
NOT heard of any card swallowing yet tho.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 12, 2017, 11:06 am

Sort of same thing happened to me......my old card was beat up and I needed a replacement. I got the unioncard. I said, "No Visa?". She told me, you can have Visa, but you have to wait a few weeks. I chose the unioncard.....but am thinking I'll go back to get the Visa debit card........in the event of emergency, I know I can withdraw funds while in the US.
I know t.i.t. and all that, but banking here is in many ways still done the old fashion way......and time intensive. Bank books, signing copies of ID, passport, can't apply online for an online access to a joint account, etc etc. The amount of paperwork I had to sign (and she copied) to obtain 250 Euros a few days ago boggles the mind. Like I said, t.i.t........but I won't shed any tears when those crocodiles go the way of the dinosaurs.
Oh, yeah, the unioncard takes a 6 digit pin as opposed to the old 4 digit.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

The Bangkok Bank in Hong Han gave Me and My wife online access to a joint account. SCB Bank at the Big C and Downtown next to the Clock traffic circle would only give us an online access to an account with only one name. They would not setup online access to joint accounts.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 12, 2017, 4:24 pm

Back to the unioncard......On a handful of occasions, we've tapped a Bangkok Bank ATM for cash with our new unioncard......after correctly entering our pin, the machine returned the card and said to see a bank representative. But if we put the card back in, enter the pin again, all's fine.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 12, 2017, 5:20 pm

parrot wrote:
August 12, 2017, 4:24 pm
Back to the unioncard......On a handful of occasions, we've tapped a Bangkok Bank ATM for cash with our new unioncard......after correctly entering our pin, the machine returned the card and said to see a bank representative. But if we put the card back in, enter the pin again, all's fine.
Identical issue with me since Wednesday and I was driving to BKK.

4 ATMs rejected my withdrawl - see bank rep. 0630 banks arent open.

Back in Udon today and into BKK Bank Monday, to try and sort it out.

Krungsri issuing Visa Debit cards on their savings accounts....

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

My Bangkok Bank card was gobbled up in an SCB ATM last week. The lady on the counter said all other banks had stopped accepting Bangkok Bank cards in their ATM's so I marched straight over to the nearest branch where they told me not to worry it's not true but I had to go to the issuing bank to get a new card which is Udon so a complete pain in the arris for our stay in Swampy. I was gong to go into the issuing branch on Monday but I've read about this issue & on line purchasing problems many times over the last week so think I'll open an account in another bank as it's just not worth the hassle

I need a current account with ATM/Debit Card, I'm also looking to open an account for the 800k visa requirements & I'd like on line banking so I can at least keep my eye on it. Any bank recommendations?
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 12, 2017, 8:11 pm

IMG_20170812_200302225.jpg
My old Bangkok Bank expired a couple of months ago. I got a new one. It has VISA on it, and has not been a problem.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 12, 2017, 8:24 pm

UE

much appreciated , im heading off to get a new card on monday, as pictured

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 12, 2017, 8:47 pm

wazza wrote:
August 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
UE

I can't get into town before midweek perhaps you could post how you got on please.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 12, 2017, 9:22 pm

Yeah, seconded, I'd like to know how you got on too

On a slightly related topic, I've just been trying to find a Bangkok Bank ATM to draw some cash on Mrs N's card. I know I should be able to use other machines but don't want to risk it at the moment. The first machine in the night market is "temporarily" unavailable. We the traipsed from one end of UD Town to the other but couldn't find a single machine. All the usual stacks of machines either had a gap or a second SCB machine. I seem to recall a small branch with ATMs outside at the McD's end but that has disappeared. Nothing in Tesco. I'm either losing my marbles or didn't read the memo but this is weird when all other banks are putting out more machines & kiosks

We also noticed there wasn't a single Bangkok Bank kiosk or ATM in Suvarnabhumi the other week too

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 12, 2017, 9:38 pm

Swampy has contracted out to SCB and I think TMB only, inside, but Kasikorn FX booth and ATM there still near Thai First Class departure area.

Never seen a BKK Bank ATM at Swampy

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 12, 2017, 9:50 pm

There's a Kasikorn kiosk/ATM just through Immo & also a kiosk/ATM just through customs where the TOT taxis kiosk is because that's the one that gobbled my card :D
I thought there was a stand alone Bangkok Bank ATM on the back wall of baggage reclaim & thought we'd used a Bangkok Bank kiosk by the TOT taxis on the way out in the past but might be mistaken

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » August 12, 2017, 9:57 pm

There's a Bangkok Bank at the Suvarnabuhm 'Transport Centre'..

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » August 13, 2017, 7:35 am

I am wondering why this is happening to some people but not to me. I have used my Bangkok Bank card issued years ago at both a BB ATM and a SCB ATM this week with no problem.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » August 13, 2017, 7:44 am

Hmm... concerned about using my BB ATM card now because I'm in Bangkok and my account is at the Khon Kaen branch. Surely I don't have to go to KK to get a new card?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 13, 2017, 8:09 am

What is the financial carrier Visa or Union Pay.

My Union Pay BKK Bank ATM debit card wouldnt work for 3 days

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 13, 2017, 9:39 am

trubrit wrote:
August 12, 2017, 8:47 pm
wazza wrote:
August 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
UE

I can't get into town before midweek perhaps you could post how you got on please.
I got the new card in April at the branch where the account is held. I declined a cheaper card that I think was only good for ATM's. I don't remember the cost.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 13, 2017, 10:54 am

[/quote]

I got the new card in April at the branch where the account is held. I declined a cheaper card that I think was only good for ATM's. I don't remember the cost.
[/quote]

I am assuming that you are talking about a new credit card, what kind of card, at which bank and what was the cost ?
Few years ago my Thai friend checked with the Kasikorn Central Plaza branch to see if i ( i am foreigner ) could get a Thai Visa credit card, i already have a visa credit card from a bank back home. The bank reply was that i would have to leave ( in a sense freeze ) funds in my bank account up to the card credit allowance.. Is this still true ?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 13, 2017, 11:19 am

Aliens / Expats / Foreigners / Farang are able to have a Thai Visa / Master Card , BUT it can still be at the discretion of the local bank manager

As you said, its normally associated with an frozen offset account to the credit card limit.

I have a BKK Bank and Krungsri Platinum Visa Credit Cards and offset deposit accounts associated with them. No yearly fees and they work internationally.

I accrue significant reward points every month and can transfer these to Thai Airways or other good value hotel deals etc as well as the banks own rewards programme.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”