Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by FrazeeDK » April 30, 2017, 10:15 am

perhaps the other intermediate bypass on the east side (via Nong Sa/Sam Phrao) will be completed before the overpass/tunnel project.. That would take a lot of the traffic off the current ring road.

Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 8, 2017, 1:33 pm

My feeling is that one may improve the traffic at one intersection, only for it to build up at the next one!
I'm not that a regular traveller that way, but I cite the underpass at Khon Kaen.
If my memory serves me correctly, the intersection which the underpass now goes under was not that much of a problem in the past, as far as volume of traffic.
Yet, a few hundred metres further on going south, one meets a MAJOR intersection, outside the Mall complex. Loads of traffic and long wait at the lights. Speed through the underpass, only to meet this.
I'm suggesting the underpass might have been better built at the bigger intersection.
Then, further on coming out of KK, there are several sets of lights anyway. What a drag it is.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 8, 2017, 1:55 pm

Brian Davis wrote:My feeling is that one may improve the traffic at one intersection, only for it to build up at the next one!
I'm not that a regular traveller that way, but I cite the underpass at Khon Kaen.
If my memory serves me correctly, the intersection which the underpass now goes under was not that much of a problem in the past, as far as volume of traffic.
Yet, a few hundred metres further on going south, one meets a MAJOR intersection, outside the Mall complex. Loads of traffic and long wait at the lights. Speed through the underpass, only to meet this.
I'm suggesting the underpass might have been better built at the bigger intersection.
Then, further on coming out of KK, there are several sets of lights anyway. What a drag it is.
I would disagree about the KK underpass. It was built at the bigger intersection. The junction it sits under was a nightmare beforehand, the junction you mention is pleasant now compared to the one before the underpass was built.

You had major traffic on route 2 north south and major traffic on route 12 east west for the university, airport, bus station, and city centre all of that trying to get through a police controlled junction. It was not a good time.
IMG_0952.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 8, 2017, 5:25 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote: I would disagree about the KK underpass.......
Ok, so perhaps my memory of Maliwan Rd perhaps even 10-15 years ago is not so great! How long has the underpass been built? But your map does indicate it's the Maliwan intersection which is bigger.
I feel I've a point, as others have said too, that one problem eased only pushes the hold-ups a bit further along the route.
Following Udon playing in Khon Kaen a couple of times (ok the weekend and many shoppers), I viewed the Centralplaza junction as chaotic, particularly outside the Mall and was pleased I got a courtesy ride from hotel into town and tuk tuk back. A side issue, but finding parking appeared a nightmare. And the volume of traffic is reflected in long waits at those lights trying to move further out of town.
I looked closely at the roadside 'scribbled' signs in my now twice daily trip into Udon today (son's new school). The road to Udon to Nong Khai certainly is written UNDERPASS. I do fear once work starts, my journey times are going to lengthen a lot. But still preferable to those school buses which take ages.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 28, 2017, 3:57 pm

From the local news.......traffic at the Tesco/Pai Ro Hospital/ringroad intersection will be diverted as shown in the photos......the news doesn't say for how long.
Attachments
21191841_1162483950562587_196059123145199784_n.jpg
21151707_1162483943895921_2298972179085648356_n.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 28, 2017, 4:10 pm

For those who frequent the area of construction, the facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/interchangeath ... icG04PnVho carries the latest info on construction and detours.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Wow can you see it now! All those heavy transports carrying fuel, cars and goods to Laos having to turn left then do a U turn before heading North = a nightmare!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 28, 2017, 4:26 pm

Imagine weekends around this are near Tesco Lotus !!.

pickups from Baan Nok, blocking the egress there

not in a million years will you be able to exit Tesco Lotus and attempt to cross lanes to U Turn

A smart traffic engineer will partion off this lane before the exit from Tesco

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 28, 2017, 4:59 pm

so moral of the story , avoid this area ,i saw the mess this morning .... ;)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 28, 2017, 5:33 pm

I reckon it took me 15-20 minutes to get over the Tesco Lotus intersection this morning at about 0730 hours. That's coming down from Nong Khai way and going straight across. Like quite a few, to avoid hassle, I get in the direct lane early i.e the one that doesn't require me to filter into another, which is the longest queue. I have to accept there are many who come down the 'fast' lane and force themselves left and towards the front of the queue, when they meet the concrete blocks filter. More frustrating is the vehicles of all sorts, which come up to the front on my left side, the lane intended for cars turning left onto the ring road and force themselves in as the lights change. How I wish there were blocks to prevent that and force them to turn left! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised my queue moves so slowly, when it's really three lanes into one, with many able to 'jump'.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 28, 2017, 5:34 pm

Don't worry there will be a full subcontracted support group budgeted and in place for traffic management.
It would have to have been in the overall construction plan, other wise they would not start. Right? :-"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 28, 2017, 6:30 pm

Barney wrote:
August 28, 2017, 5:34 pm
Don't worry there will be a full subcontracted support group budgeted and in place for traffic management.
It would have to have been in the overall construction plan, other wise they would not start. Right? :-"
Civil and Cynic got the nod I heard.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
August 28, 2017, 5:33 pm
I reckon it took me 15-20 minutes to get over the Tesco Lotus intersection this morning at about 0730 hours. That's coming down from Nong Khai way and going straight across. Like quite a few, to avoid hassle, I get in the direct lane early i.e the one that doesn't require me to filter into another, which is the longest queue. I have to accept there are many who come down the 'fast' lane and force themselves left and towards the front of the queue, when they meet the concrete blocks filter. More frustrating is the vehicles of all sorts, which come up to the front on my left side, the lane intended for cars turning left onto the ring road and force themselves in as the lights change. How I wish there were blocks to prevent that and force them to turn left! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised my queue moves so slowly, when it's really three lanes into one, with many able to 'jump'.
Must admit that as Road Rage goes, that is the one major thing that gets to me ........ they know very well that the outside lane is blocked, and they know very well that some bloody buffoon is going to be sitting there sending a text message or reading the news whilst they all pull in front of him/her from left and right, whilst all the law abiding motorists are left to sit and watch from behind. Even had a cop car go up the left turn lane the other day and then cut over [-X :evil: [-X .... OH how I wish I could have seen his number and had a dashcam

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 29, 2017, 9:20 am

stattointhailand wrote:
August 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Must admit that as Road Rage goes........
I have to admit to 'confrontations' two days running, which doesn't augur well with probable greater hassle to come as work develops. And the wife with me today, who also drives me crazy with her no-hassle attitude no matter what. We're not speaking now. [-( (I accept there's some argument in trying to prevent me getting into bigger problems!)

Tomorrow, I think I'll turn left onto the ring road and catch the first u-turn to bring me back to the junction for another left. Maybe that will avoid the jumping/merging which causes much of the hassle. I gained the impression there was a lot less traffic coming around from Global House way, but we'll see.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 29, 2017, 10:19 am

Sounds like we have the same problem Brian :lol: Can't see a problem that we are being held up because someone else cant be asked to wait in line ..... fact that she is late for work or daughter is late for school ....... so?, as if being somewhere on time actually mattered. Same with everything else ..... spends 2 hrs faffing around doing nothing, and then leaves house 10 mins before doctors appointment which is 20 mins away :evil:

BTW evening peak coming the other way ..... left by garden centre, through market and out onto Ringroad (Tesco section), U turn by Tesco and left turn back onto NK Rd

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 29, 2017, 10:48 am

Spare a thought for us who live nearby......impossible now to get out of our soi and get into the 3rd lane for the Tesco Lotus U-turn.
Have to turn left onto the Nong Khai road and take the first U-turn and join the queue of traffic waiting to go right at the lights heading towards Tesco Lotus.......quicker to walk and get a saamlaw back with all the shopping ! :(
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 29, 2017, 11:04 am

I was caught up in all this last weekend, and noticed crap driving behaviour.

I guess adjusting time frames and taking Xanax daily might assist a few.

my plan from the city to transit to NK etc is to pass by Nongprajak Roundabout, and head up to the ring road, and then past Wing 23 Golf and onto the NK highway.

Im sure Im the only one who plans this way also, LOL

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 30, 2017, 7:54 am

err Now your confusing me wazza ...... Wing 23 golf is on the KK Rd ........the opposite side of town to the roadworks :confused:

Did you mean the Army couse at Nong Samrong ......... if so, aren't there MAJOR road works and lane closures all the way along that road ??

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 30, 2017, 8:11 am

stattointhailand wrote:
August 30, 2017, 7:54 am
err Now your confusing me wazza ...... Wing 23 golf is on the KK Rd ........the opposite side of town to the roadworks :confused:

Did you mean the Army couse at Nong Samrong ......... if so, aren't there MAJOR road works and lane closures all the way along that road ??
I think wazza means Nong Samrong.
There are still roadworks on the Nam Samrong road & do not look like finishing soon.

You would also have a problem getting across the Ring road intersection at Nam Samrong as a lot of people would go that way.

The best option if you are coming from town would be to go to the end of Posri road instead of going around Nonprajak.

Turn right onto the ring road & then you have the option of going via Nong Samrong at the next set of traffic lights or going straight on past Tesco Lotus onto the main Highway to Nong Khai.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 30, 2017, 8:57 am

Yeah guys sorry...army . airforce...

Return to “Udon Thani News”