Fly from Thailand to VN

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
averagejoe
udonmap.com

Fly from Thailand to VN

Post by averagejoe » April 10, 2007, 8:45 am

Hi all...planning on visiting Udon again around the end of this year, and would love to take a short trip to Vietnam. I would appreciate anyone's advice on where i can book the airfare online or travel agent. and do i have to get any type of visa/permit to enter and leave vietnam?
thanks! AJ

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 10, 2007, 9:01 am

YOu have two choices to get to Viet Nam from Udon.

1. Go back through BKK

2. Go to Vientien, Loas.

I go back though BKK and take Air Asia (can book on line.) It is cheaper for me that way.

As for Visas, the answer is YES you need a visa. With the time you have I would just get one in the US. I you want to give up several days of vacation you can get a visa in Khon Kean. (Got mine yesterday) If you want a 15 day or less visa, it can be issued in one day. More than 15 days and you will have to wait three days. One thing that is a bit different is you will have to know the day of arrival in Viet Nam. YOu can not say about this day or that. They were emphatic on this point.

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » April 10, 2007, 9:10 am

thanks bangpaeng! think i will give khong kaen a visit because i think it might be easier for me to do it there. one more thing, my thai gf is going with me, so i suppose she has to do the same visa thing right?

marshallb66
udonmap.com

Post by marshallb66 » April 10, 2007, 9:42 am

I have travel to and lived in Vietnam with my Thai wife many times over the past 10 years.

Thai nationals do not need a visa to travel to Vietnam.

I am fortunate enough to receive a 6 months multiple entry visa due to my work.

However before I had the work visa

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » April 10, 2007, 9:52 am

Marshall and Bangpaeng, you guys have been a great help with many helpful infos. really do appreciate it!

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 10, 2007, 10:41 am

Marshall the same wait for the 15 day visa in Khon Kean is about 15 minutes. It is just if you want anything other than the 15 day visa you have to wait. It was kind of funny. Yesterday they told me to not pick it up till 4pm on Monday. They told me this on Friday. Me thinking I would be smart showed up at 2 PM to pick it up. That way I could beat the traffic out of Khon Kean. Well they would not give it to me to 4PM they said. As I did not have anywhere else to go, I sat down and waited. From 2 PM till they gave me my visa (1555) there were two Thais that came in for some sort of visa work and were gone in 10 minutes. That is how busy it is. Still had to wait :lol: :lol:

Maybe I hit on a slow day but even multiply the traffice by 10. Lets see 3x10 equals 30. Had a staff of 5. Figured they could handle a rush like that. :lol:

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 10, 2007, 10:56 am

Banpaeng,

This interests me also.

Could you expand on directions when in Khon Kean. The issuing agent is a Vietnam embassy I suppose. What instructions would I provide the taxi? Is it near some major hotel or shopping complex nearby. Do you remember the name of the street where the office is located? Thanks.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 10, 2007, 11:40 am

It is a Viet Nam Consulate.

The address is 65/6 Chatadung
Khon Kean

Phone is 043-242-190

I do not know if these instructions will help. It is like getting Thai directions, but I will try. These will be from Udon.

As you arrive from Udon, proceed on into town via the high way. There is a frontage road but do not take it. After teh frontage road ends go to the next red light signal and turn left into down town. You will pass the markets and bus station. You keep going till you pass the Jet petro station. At the next light light turn right. Go about 300 meters and the consulate will be on the right hand side.

Hope that helps.

Going to Hanoi this time again but new areas to explore. Will post on what I see again.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 10, 2007, 11:52 am

Look forward to your posts on Viet Nam,banpaeng!The last ones were fantastic =D> =D>

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 10, 2007, 12:03 pm

I give you 1.7 (-) years back in the states, Brian. There is no-way you are going to settle for a little fishing :!: Have a good adventure. Let me know when Saigon ( Ho Chi Minh City) is on the agender :!:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 10, 2007, 12:33 pm

Come on Dakota, you need to go to Hanoi. I know your better half will enjoy. Going to do a bit of beach and maybe some world heritage sites.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Re: Fly from Thailand to VN

Post by jingjai » April 10, 2007, 2:29 pm

averagejoe wrote: I would appreciate anyone's advice on where i can book the airfare online or travel agent. AJ
A few years back I took Air France, Bangkok-Saigon. Air France also has a
Bangkok-Hanoi route.
Surprisingly, the fare is only 5580 Baht R/T plus tax. 747 plane. Full baggage allowance. For me that is a plus, because I like to bring back a lot of stuff.
Check their website: http://www.airfrance.co.th/

The only downside was they had no magazines or newspapers in English, I mentioned that to the flight attendants, and...well...you know the French :roll:

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » April 11, 2007, 1:27 am

thanks for the link Jingjai. Bangpaeng, perhaps i can pay you to be my tour guide in Hanoi?? :lol:

Return to “Travel & Transport”