Planning a Swimming Pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Nigglyb » August 17, 2017, 6:24 pm

Udon Map wrote:
August 17, 2017, 2:44 pm
Take beer. Sure, one buys it; but in reality, you only rent it for a relatively short bit of time.
Nice analogy. I don't drink so I'm off to rent some Sprite for a few hours ;)

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » August 17, 2017, 8:16 pm

Not bad UTPete, you would pay that just for the landscaping here in oz. Probably the most beautiful private pool I have seen. Hope you are getting lots of use from it

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » August 17, 2017, 8:27 pm

Fatone wrote:
August 17, 2017, 8:16 pm
Not bad UTPete, you would pay that just for the landscaping here in oz. Probably the most beautiful private pool I have seen. Hope you are getting lots of use from it
Thank you again Fatone, we certainly make lots of use of it, you are always welcome to come and have a cold one and have a look at it!. Cheers.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 18, 2017, 5:26 am

dingdong wrote:
August 17, 2017, 5:05 pm
Marcosteffano
You mention that electricity is cheaper at night ? How is that???
As he said " time of use ". Most countries have cheap (or rather these day a little bit cheaper) electricity at night due to lesser damand at that time. Usually controlled via pulse relays from the supply authority. Only drawback is you are comitted to run at that time, no other, and in many cases equipment has to be hard wired. Depends on where you are. Don't know if night rate exists in los but can't really imagine a smart meter lasting too long hanging off a pole in the rain like the old warburton frankie type. I have to go with the " pool is a hole in the ground one burns money" squad .

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » August 18, 2017, 6:13 am

The wife owns a room for rent place and when she replaces an electric meter I can assure you it is not a pulse meter (I have never heard of and wouldn't know if I saw one)
Therefore again I am assuming that 1 Kilowatt used is 1 kilowatt paid for either in the day or night here in Thai

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » August 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Thanks UTPete, I look forward to it when I finally ge there. stuck in Oz at the moment

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 18, 2017, 8:39 am

dingdong wrote:
August 17, 2017, 5:05 pm
Marcosteffano
You mention that electricity is cheaper at night ? How is that???
It's an electric rate from PEA.i pay about 4.25b per kw for domestic supply that's at 30amps.the TOU rate is 2.7b a kw from 10pm-9am then around 5b during the day.alls good and well if you have just a pool to run in the night with a big pump.the problem is they only do a 15 amp supply and as I'm building 2 apartments next to the pool and sharing the supply between pool and apartments I now need 30amp supply.to get the most out of it you would need to have things like air con at night, pool pump at night,maybe water well on topping storage tanks on at night.washing machine on after 10 and before 7am.so due to me needing a 30amp meter I'm now stuck.also you need a house book for each supply and meter,which I have.i have the same problem with the house as it's a shared supply with a bungalow else I would be on the cheap rate TOU.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 18, 2017, 9:07 am

Alchai wrote:
August 23, 2013, 3:09 pm
I'm currently planning on building a pool in the coming dry period and I am having difficulty making up my mind on most things regarding the build. One item is an idea I have of putting a roof over the pool. My reasons for this are:
- Protetcion from sun on skin
- Protection from rain water mixing with the pool water
- Protection from sun breaking down the chlorine

Another problem is actually deciding on what type of pool to buy.

If anyone wants to comment these or other items regarding swimmimg pools please do so.

Thanks!
my advice is build a small one,cheap to run and maintain.dont use anyone but thailandswimmingpool.com his names Chris and will give you good honest advice about everything.dont and I repeat don't use a franchised company run by Thai.they will do nothing but get you to sign a contract and stitch you up.hes the best by far.6x4 metre pool is a nice size and no deeper than 1.8m either tiled or fibreglass.dont get liner my pal ain't very happy with his new one.salt chlorinator too.just contact Chris.thais will just dump a pool in with lovely clear water and head off into the sunset.he will take you through the whole process of maintainance and return to see the job has worked out.the advice from people with pools that aren't happy are the ones who's set up are making it hard work and costly and probably don't use them enough.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 18, 2017, 10:02 am

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 19, 2017, 1:48 am

That's it the 1.1.2 plan I think.theyve got so many but it's all a game really as if you use too much it's a different rate.all swings and roundabouts,twist n turns.nothing simple in Thailand.if I wanted 3 meters at a hundred kw to my house in the uk the power company would say go for it big boy,use the whole grid if you like.here it's a different kettle of fish.just to have solar is like committing a crime and punishable by death.ive beentrying to get my second meter rate down to domestic rate for a month.got told I need new meter,maybe new cable.why I have 2 meters at 30 amps each .just go on computer and changer rate.no can do,so mrs went in every day for a week and they said oh this first time we do this.not know how to do.anyway it's done now but I'm likely to wake up next week with two meters and poles missing..

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » August 19, 2017, 6:39 pm

Khun Paul, in French, public swimming pool is called "Piscine", and it's pronounced exactly like you think it is...

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Some years ago I seriously wanted a swimming pool. Then I had a lucky break. A friend of mine asked me if I would look after his house and pool while he took care of some business in the UK. I quickly agreed.

I came to the conclusion that if you really want a pool, you have to use it a lot to justify all the work. His pool was quite large and unfortunately he had a lot of trees. I found that I had to spend a couple hours every day taking proper care of the pool. The skimmers had to be cleaned daily and the robot bottom cleaner left a lot to be desired and would not collect the leaves that had gone to the bottom. Testing the water wasn't difficult and it only needed a scoop of powdered chlorine every few days.

The bottom line was that I was very happy when he got back. My thoughts of having a pool had evaporated. I did learn that a smaller totally screened in pool would save most of the work. Then there was the problem of having a lot of friends. I really didn't want to be an ogre and forbid the local kids from using the pool.

ADDED - I forgot to mention that the two Hayward filters had to be backflushed and the screens cleaned every few days. If that wasn't done, the skimmers and robot wouldn't work very well.

allanb

Post by allanb » September 29, 2017, 2:38 pm

I have built a couple of pools here including one in my home and don't regret it at all. Yes you do need to use it, but that means there is pressure to do so, giving me some well needed exercise.

My pool is oblong 8m x 4m x 1.2m deep with a simple steel roof, it is fully tiled, with a 3/4 hp pump and bag filter mounted in the skimmer. It is very cheap to run and easy to keep clean, I built it for around 350,000 baht including labour, my inlaws....

It is a way of life, on a hot day the water is cool and you can swim any time without fear of sunburn. I personally don't drink and swim.

Be happy to share my design with you.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

When I lived in the UK I had a pool for years and think it was worth every penny I spent on it. Personally I found the maintainence quite simple and actually quite therapeutic. Glalt is quite right, keeping the pool chemicals balanced isn't terribly difficult and backwashing a filter every few days isn't that hard either. At the moment I use various pools around town, they're well maintained and quite cheap. The problem is that most aren't covered like Allanb's and I'm not really that keen on being in direct sunlight so even though I've been using banana boat 50+ I've ended up very tanned. I have considered building my own here, but as I live in the centre of town it would be hard to justify the use of land for a pool when land is so expensive and when you consider the pools only charge about 60 baht, 350,000 baht is a lot of visits.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

sunwavessand
udonmap.com

Post by sunwavessand » October 24, 2017, 4:42 am

How did it go? My partner and I are coordinating with a pool builder right now. Also currently communicating with PoolMaster. Their pool materials and supplies on their thailand pool shop website are quite comprehensive and their team is very helpful and responsive with the budgeting part. I'm very excited in this new project. If you could share an update, it would be awesome.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » October 24, 2017, 11:46 am

sunwavessand wrote:
October 24, 2017, 4:42 am
How did it go? My partner and I are coordinating with a pool builder right now. Also currently communicating with PoolMaster. Their pool materials and supplies on their thailand pool shop website are quite comprehensive and their team is very helpful and responsive with the budgeting part. I'm very excited in this new project. If you could share an update, it would be awesome.
Swimming pools Thailand.great bloke came sorted my pool out after getting stung by a french company run by Thai.the boss (Chris) don't cut corners and saved me almost spending 40,000b.even advised me about some products that would of just wasted money and I know the other companies would of sold me them.

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » December 5, 2017, 10:24 am

My mate used Together Construction Thailand to build his pool and they also built a shelter for it. It turned out great. A few months later he added roll down tarps to the shelter to keep the leaves and crap out of it which works great. It's basically now an indoor pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » September 21, 2018, 11:13 am

Hello,

it has been two years since we finished the construction of our natural swimming pool near Udon Thani and there is an update.

We have not used any chemicals nor salt ever and the pool water is still clean and clear. It’s 100% rain water, an easy task here during the raining season. Moreover we use a 60 watt air pump and that saves us a lot of money compared with a 750 watt water pump. There is a quick video on YouTube to judge by yourself.

Have a good day!

A two years update video. https://youtu.be/SlStir0IObw

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 22, 2018, 12:34 pm

leterry60614 wrote:
September 21, 2018, 11:13 am
Hello,

it has been two years since we finished the construction of our natural swimming pool near Udon Thani and there is an update.

We have not used any chemicals nor salt ever and the pool water is still clean and clear. It’s 100% rain water, an easy task here during the raining season. Moreover we use a 60 watt air pump and that saves us a lot of money compared with a 750 watt water pump. There is a quick video on YouTube to judge by yourself.

Have a good day!

A two years update video. https://youtu.be/SlStir0IObw
All good stuff but not very cost worthy having to build two pools just to clear the water.my pool is 100sqm holding 150 cubic sqm of water.i pay 1,100b a month on electric and with chemical under 20,000 a year.the waste water from filter cleaning goes on my garden and feeds it at the same time.to build a second pool would cost more than 1,000,000b and the land so not very cost effective.what has been achieved is in my eyes is just a simple gravel filter and you will still have to manually clean the pool.i don't know why people cringe when you mention pool chemicals as chlorine dissolves and evaporates,algaecide is just water with copper additive and clarifier is just a coagulant and my garden loves it.if I was to filter water I would build a four stage mechanical/bio filter the same as a koi pond filter and use a in line uv light for sterilising the water.you may also find that your water is nice and clear but has a high bacterial content especially in Thailands climate.

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » July 3, 2020, 1:17 pm

3 years after construction the water is clean and clear with 100% rain water. Pool water quality reading is 89 PPM ! Details in YouTube video link below.

https://youtu.be/BBQN4ktoomw

Return to “House & Land”