Fruit Trees

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Chriss
udonmap.com

Fruit Trees

Post by Chriss » December 29, 2010, 1:03 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can buy Pomegranite and Passion Fruit trees, ready to bear fruit or maybe next year would be good.

Thanks

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Fruit Trees

Post by parrot » December 29, 2010, 8:10 pm

Passion fruit grows on vines......best to grow them under a big tree. It'll cover the crown in a year's time. Last weekend at the Nongwahsaw market, a villager had a few hundred very ripe passionfruit for sale. I usually take the seeds and replant them. Can't say I've ever seen seedlings for sale in Udon.
Can't tell you where to find ทับทิม pomegranate trees, but I've seen a fair number in peoples' yards......good juju for those who believe in such things. Several vendors at the Tungsrimuang fair had them for sale, so you should be able to find some in town.

Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Post by Rockfossil » October 21, 2017, 5:21 pm

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am trying to sort out what type of fruit trees are best grown here. I have about 8 holes ready but the only drawback is that they are all within 2 metres of the concrete block boundary fence. I have a few mangoes but would like to have a bit more variety of fruit, evergreens if possible, and require the least amount of looking after. If possible the location of a good nursery would also be appreciated.

Cheers

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 21, 2017, 5:55 pm

Well it depends on what you like.. Not many western fruits around here due to the climate conditions. As mentioned in other posts you can plant pomegranate trees , Passion Fruit vine, GAC ( Momordica cochinchinensis ) vine, mango, longan, Thai cherries. Etc.. Being near a wall or a fence would require yearly tree maintenance.
All grow rather quickly. Please notes that the passion fruit and the GAC vines need structures and or trees to climb on. They can become very invasive, therefore at thee end of the fruiting season you can prune them back. Most Udon nurseries would have the trees, the passion fruit vine can be started from the seeds... Enjoy..

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2017, 8:31 pm

Rockfossil wrote:
October 21, 2017, 5:21 pm
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am trying to sort out what type of fruit trees are best grown here. I have about 8 holes ready but the only drawback is that they are all within 2 metres of the concrete block boundary fence. I have a few mangoes but would like to have a bit more variety of fruit, evergreens if possible, and require the least amount of looking after. If possible the location of a good nursery would also be appreciated.

Cheers
Hi Rockfossil,

Assuming that you are close Udon Thani, I pulled into the Tesco Lotus on the Ring Road (heading down to Nong Bua Lam Phu).

Just in the first car park section, a nice young lady has set up a small nursery and she has quite a large selection of fruit trees (all about 1 - 1.5 m high). Definitely worth a look for fruit trees

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 21, 2017, 9:21 pm

Before the Tesco Lotus on the ring road, is an internal block / road ( 200 metres before ? )

this block is also used as a short cut from the main road, going to Nong Khai before the intersection lights where you turn left to go to Tesco Lotus on the ring road

In there , is approx 10 wholesale nurserys with mature fruit plants etc

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 22, 2017, 11:14 am

Rockfossil wrote:

Cheers
Hi,

This is the Tesco Lotus, where the lady has a small nursery in the car park

pipoz4444
Attachments
Fruit Trees - Udon Thani - Tesco Lotus near Airport.jpg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 22, 2017, 11:26 am

Rockfossil wrote:

Cheers
Hi,

This is the Tesco Lotus Extra. 200m before you reach the Tesco Lotus Extra, there is a road on the left.

I think it is the one named "Mit Pracha Alley". There are about 10 nurseries in this street that sell fruit trees.

pipoz4444
Attachments
Fruit Trees in Mit Pracha Alley - Udon Thani.jpg

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 23, 2017, 2:25 am

A lot depends on how tall a tree you want .... do they need to provide shade or provide complete privacy (because you say evergreen preferred). Not really an expert, and their are many rare fruits in some people's gardens but often hard to find. You could plant citrus but soil needs to be well drained. What do you like to eat? That's a good start. If need something quick, can start with banana or papaya, as easy to remove. Custard apple grows readily and fruits after only about 3 years from seed. Coconut palms and rosella also common.

sunwavessand
udonmap.com

Post by sunwavessand » October 24, 2017, 4:41 am

Rambutan and lychee are also good. These are tropical fruits so growing these in Thailand shouldn't be an issue.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 24, 2017, 6:28 pm

Strange it took 10 years to rehash this thread.
Good subject as I think many guys would be interested to not only share ideas and local tips of where to buy, but, how and what season to grow.

I reckon there are plenty of budding green thumbs like me looking for items to grow. Though if like me, as maintenance free as possible. :D
I have 6 avocado trees I've had for a fair while growing from seed. Will be home soon to see how they are going. Most likely may never get fruit being from seed but its something to look at in the yard while I contemplate life in the village slow lane with a pre tax Chang in my hand.
Would love to grow the lychee tree.
We have paw paw and banana and vege's plus the GF has plenty of other stuff in her herb garden.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 24, 2017, 6:35 pm

I dont know about lychee trees but longan ( lamyai ) trees provide good shade and bumper crops within few years and can be pruned to shape as desired. Have a fruitful season..

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 24, 2017, 11:54 pm

For a real challenge try mangosteen from seed. Takes a long time and not easy. So far i have managed to get 2 plants up to 15 months old before they died, out of 10 planted, but they are forest trees and do not like sun while seedlings at all. Again, if you have space, try jackfruit. We have 2 small trees about 7 years old, still no fruit.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

rick wrote:
October 24, 2017, 11:54 pm
For a real challenge try mangosteen from seed. Takes a long time and not easy. So far i have managed to get 2 plants up to 15 months old before they died, out of 10 planted, but they are forest trees and do not like sun while seedlings at all. Again, if you have space, try jackfruit. We have 2 small trees about 7 years old, still no fruit.
Strange with your Jackfruit, I planted this Jackfruit tree 3 years back and its now about 4 - 5 m high and delivering very large fruits, (bigger than footballs) , about 15 per season (Tree to the left in the background)

The tree to the right (in middle, 2 meters high), is a Mango tree, about four years old and just starting to deliver fruit

pipoz
Attachments
Jackfruit Tree (S).JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 25, 2017, 2:35 pm

Way back when I still read newspapers on paper, the Bangkok Post published this story about trees and good juju. It just so happened we had just finished our home and begun planting a few trees.
We planted a jackfruit tree near the SW corner of our home. About 8 years after we planted it, a windstorm blew down a tree along our fence line. The tree fell on top of the jackfruit but did not damage it. Had the jackfruit not been there, it would have hit our roof and damaged at least some of our roof tiles (back then).
Good juju.....believe it or not.
Attachments
rps20171025_141323_157.jpg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 25, 2017, 7:05 pm

This cluster of 8 Mango trees, was planted back in Dec 2012. The are about 3 m high to top of canopy, but probably growing slower than normal, because I planted them too close together. May have to cut 2 or 3 down :-k

They were grafted trees, bough from the local market man and about 80cm high at the time. The started producing about a dozen fruit each, 2 1/2 years ago and now provide oodles (about 40 plus each) of mango's every year =D>

The Dragon fruits in the top pictures, were only planted 2 years back and they gave lots of fruit each back in September this year. About 12 plus fruits to each plant.

pipoz4444
Attachments
00 2017 13 October HH Pictures of Garden & Trees  (3).JPG
00 2017 13 October HH Pictures of Garden & Trees  (2).JPG
00 2017 13 October HH Pictures of Garden & Trees ( (1).JPG

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 25, 2017, 8:10 pm

Great photos guys,
nice clean yards, hope to have something similar in a few years of experimenting.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 26, 2017, 6:48 am

I will be clearing truck loads of native trees, for more grazing land next year, so if I can get a Backhoe and dig them out, I will past them on..hate to cut them down..

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 26, 2017, 11:49 am

maaka wrote:
October 26, 2017, 6:48 am
I will be clearing truck loads of native trees, for more grazing land next year, so if I can get a Backhoe and dig them out, I will past them on..hate to cut them down..
Sounds good maaka.

Can I ask, what sort/name of native tress are you looking to clear and approximately how tall are they

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Barney wrote:
October 25, 2017, 8:10 pm
Great photos guys,
nice clean yards, hope to have something similar in a few years of experimenting.
Hi Barney

Yes sometimes.

I know it is off topic, but when I placed the lawn, it didn't have much top soil underneath it and pretty much just sat on the harder clay surface with some fertilizer and it took and grew.

I am now looking to raise the level (built it up and get the lawn to grow thicker) and thought about slowly adding thin layers of washed sand on top of the lawn, hoping the lawn will not die and slowly grow through the added sand.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to build up the level, without killing off the lawn

I don't have a green thumb and tend to kill most plants that I look at :-"

pipoz4444

Return to “House & Land”