need help on where I should live in Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
joet
udonmap.com

need help on where I should live in Udon Thani

Post by joet » November 15, 2017, 12:14 pm

Currently I live in Chiang Mai but have had enough of the bad air here and plan to get out before February. Since I am unfamiliar with the area I need some help in recommendations as to what are considered the best locations to live - north, east, south or west.

I am thinking of buying a new or newer one level house in a gated community with preferably 3 bedrooms though I could get by with one. I would want two bathrooms however, and be within reasonable proximity to the shopping centers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: need help on where I should live in Udon Thani

Post by deankham » November 15, 2017, 1:06 pm

Hard one to answer as depends on your individual needs.

We live in a gated development called Sittarom and have had a home here for 6 or 7 years. It is on the ring road (north east) and close to pretty much everything.

Its a big development with 200 or so homes and is pretty well looked after.

Plenty of nearly new single storey homes for sale. In fact next door to me has been taken back by the bank and so I'm assuming its for sale. Garden is overgrown so doesn't look its best but the plot and house would be really nice once they are tidied back up.

Good luck with your search.

joet
udonmap.com

Post by joet » November 15, 2017, 6:07 pm

Is there a website I can go to and see homes that are available? I plan to fly up to Udon before the end of the month and line up some gated communities to check out in advance and this sounds like one I should see.

Thanks
Joe

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » November 15, 2017, 10:05 pm

I would give a thumbs up for San Sarang (spelling? maybe), because it used to be a Gated place, is not now, which means you will find some good deals in there from those trying to get out. Its safe, fairly up to date houses, has swimming pool, other things, and close to all. Forget about Security, most Guards sleep. The people of the community (are suppose to) watch their community. San Sarang is "safe" because it only has one road in and out.

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 16, 2017, 8:02 am

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 16, 2017, 8:02 am

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 16, 2017, 8:04 am

Both of these great sites although not confined to gated communities

Bouph
udonmap.com

Post by Bouph » November 16, 2017, 9:10 am

[-X
Last edited by Bouph on May 24, 2018, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

joet
udonmap.com

Post by joet » November 16, 2017, 9:16 am

I appreciate the feedback. Is there any location that expats tend to prefer that I should put at the top of my list? By that I mean location to shopping, less traffic/noise, safer, no worry about flooding, etc. The last time I was in Udon was back in the early 70s so I'm definitely out of the loop though I know it has enough to offer for me to make the move.

Thanks again
Joe

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 16, 2017, 10:08 am

Get in your car or on a motorbike and check them out first hand, there are very few gated estates, a couple of days and you will have checked them all out, then you can make your own mind up as only you know what you want....

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 16, 2017, 10:52 am

You might consider renting for 6 months or a year to get the "feel" of the area for yourself prior to purchase. Its hard to determine in 2 or 3 days.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » November 16, 2017, 11:04 am

I've rented here on two occasions - once in 2013/4 and now.
My preference is around the South Ring road - we are renting at Baan Klangmuang 5, The Resort. Previously we rented in Baan Chonrada on the south ring road.

I would say Baan Chonrada has gone down since we rented there....pool not kept well, pavements look dirty and lots of empty houses for sale - the houses themselves are nice but....
Our current place is a quiet one road in/out gated. Single story three bedroom / 2 bathroom houses and the whole site is looked after. We are pleased we rented here. Not far from Tesco Lotus (and Big Tap..) and about 15 minutes to Big C ....20 minutes to Central Plazza.

Sittarom is a nice looking place but for me the houses are mostly too 'on top of each other', and there a lots of them.

Personally I would avoid the northern ring road as it is far busier.

joet
udonmap.com

Post by joet » November 16, 2017, 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies as I've got quite of bit of info I can follow up on and should be able to check out a number of locations over the 3 days I plan to stay on my first trip.

Joe

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 16, 2017, 6:40 pm

Wherever you decide to live my advice would be to not live so close to your neighbours that you can hear them fart.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » November 17, 2017, 9:27 am

Forgot the most important thing...make sure there is no cell tower in the back yard.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 17, 2017, 10:52 am

there are a number of classifieds linked from Udon Map to various realtors for rentals and purchases of houses, townhouses and apartments. I concur with other suggestions on renting for a while and searching out what best fits your needs.
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 17, 2017, 4:19 pm

One other thing you might think about Joe. Not sure if you have kids/have had kids/cant stand kids but whichever it is then visiting the villages on a Sat or Sunday will give you a idea of if the kids are terrorising the streets on motorbikes or if its so quiet the church mouse can have a nap in the sun. Visiting midweek when they are all at school can give a very very false impression of an area

joet
udonmap.com

Post by joet » November 17, 2017, 7:04 pm

Unfortunately I will have to make the trip during the week. Actually more worried about dogs roaming the street like I've got now here in a gated community. Doesn't help when one neighbor has 8 dogs and he doesn't care where they do their business which is usually anywhere they want.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 17, 2017, 7:27 pm

joet wrote:
November 17, 2017, 7:04 pm
Unfortunately I will have to make the trip during the week. Actually more worried about dogs roaming the street like I've got now here in a gated community. Doesn't help when one neighbor has 8 dogs and he doesn't care where they do their business which is usually anywhere they want.
Joet, go home...

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 17, 2017, 8:11 pm

Why? No stay dogs where I live. Security chase them away from the gates with a stick and the dog owners are very responsible.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”