24 hour reporting...

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Mudguard
udonmap.com

24 hour reporting...

Post by Mudguard » December 5, 2017, 1:36 pm

I have read where one can report to a police station for your 24 hour report on arrival at home....

I am 90 kil from imm Sakon Nakhon.... Impossible to report 24 hour on arrival...

Has anyone reported to a police station for the above reason? I have one 10 klm away....

Cheers, Mudguard...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: 24 hour reporting...

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 6, 2017, 5:49 am

Mudguard wrote:
December 5, 2017, 1:36 pm
I have read where one can report to a police station for your 24 hour report on arrival at home....

I am 90 kil from imm Sakon Nakhon.... Impossible to report 24 hour on arrival...

Has anyone reported to a police station for the above reason? I have one 10 klm away....

Cheers, Mudguard...
The last time I went into Udon immigration (I could have succeeded in claiming within 24 hours of arriving) they said they did not need the report of arrival at all.

You should check if your immigration office wants the report and if they do how will they accept it. It is quite possible that they will not want it.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » December 6, 2017, 9:40 pm

Not your problem. Hotels ,resorts etc are supposed to report any Farang staying within 24 hours but individuals dont need to do anything.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 7, 2017, 6:14 am

AlexO wrote:
December 6, 2017, 9:40 pm
Not your problem. Hotels ,resorts etc are supposed to report any Farang staying within 24 hours but individuals dont need to do anything.
Sorry that is not the immigration law/rule the first part that Hotels and resorts must report is correct however the law is written to require a TM30 report within 24 hours, from any place Farang visits, stays or lives.

So your Girlfriend/Boyfriend, Wife/Husband, condo/house owner has the same requirement to submit a TM30.

Some immigration offices enforce this and you will usually have to pay a fine between 800 Baht and 2,000 Baht (maximum 4,000 Baht) if it is not done, though it isn't your responsibility to do it, you are the one in immigration requesting an extension of stay or 90 day report so you are the easy target.

AFIK Udon Thani immigration does not enforce or want to enforce the rule at the moment, they don't even have a supply of the forms for you to pickup.

I don't know if Sakon Nakhon does or not. Other offices do Chonburi/Jomtien wants it as does Chiang Mai.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 7, 2017, 7:43 pm

Here's what the Thai Immigration website says:

Notification of residence for foreigners

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30. The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:
- In person at the respective office, or
- Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
- By registered mail, or
- Via internet.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

A female IO tried to use this on my wife and i a few years back. The supervisor at the time told her it did not apply as i am on an OA Visa based on Retirement and had been living at the same location for nearly 10 years at that time. Maybe the part that I underlined "temporary basis" is the pertinent part of the regulation.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 7, 2017, 8:36 pm

Doesn't matter how long you have been in Thailand fdimike, you are staying away from your previously notified residence ON A TEMPORARY basis, which is why the form is there in the first place ..... to keep track of us :-$

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 7, 2017, 8:45 pm

You misunderstand me. The IO tried to use it on me while I was living at our residence which is the same place we've lived for more than 10 years at that time. I hadn't moved anywhere.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2017, 9:45 pm

fdimike wrote:
December 7, 2017, 8:45 pm
You misunderstand me. The IO tried to use it on me while I was living at our residence which is the same place we've lived for more than 10 years at that time. I hadn't moved anywhere.
Which is the 'trap' that others have experienced in other immigration jurisdictions. Jomtien (Pattaya) appears to apply it arbitrarily whereas Chiang Mai insist on it. As far as Meuang Udon Thani immigration is concerned, the following is my take (on their take) on the rules.

If you are returning to the house that is already registered at Udon immigration as your primary residence, ie. the one they already have on file as your primary residence for your extensions and 90-day reporting, there is no need for you (or your partner) to print out and fill in a TM30 and deliver it within 24-hours of your return.

If you stay at a hotel, apartments or guesthouse, they are supposed to file your presence under their roof to their local immigration.

If you stay at your friends house, they are supposed to file a TM30 at their local immigration office to report your presence under their roof.

If your friend comes and stays with you, then you are supposed to file a TM30 with your local immigration office to report their presence under your roof.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 7, 2017, 9:54 pm

Oh right, sorry, missunderkerstumbled :lol:

Yeah that's pretty much the same as I've been told ........... addition being if you are staying at a hotel with spouse etc, and SHE has booked the room and used her ID card when arriving (you are a guest in the room), and the onus is on you to report to immigration/police and not the hotel.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2017, 10:13 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 7, 2017, 9:54 pm

Yeah that's pretty much the same as I've been told ........... addition being if you are staying at a hotel with spouse etc, and SHE has booked the room and used her ID card when arriving (you are a guest in the room), and the onus is on you to report to immigration/police and not the hotel.
And hence their arcane system collapses like a soufflé in a draft. We frequently stop at a local 3-star and even when I've called to book the room myself, they've never asked for my passport or had me fill in a registration card.

And I've never dobbed myself in either!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2017, 6:06 am

fdimike wrote:
December 7, 2017, 8:45 pm
If your wife had never submitted a TM30 then the female IO was correctly following the law, not "trying it on" The supervisor used his power to override the law in your favour.

FWIW unless you have permanent residence or citizenship then you are always staying on a temporary basis as far as immigration is concerned. I have stayed for 27years in a country on a temporary basis.

So the law is simple every time you change where you stay the owner of the property is required to submit a TM30.

The fact that Udon Thani immigration does not require this is their choice. Other offices do require this, or some variation of this.

In Thailand each immigration office can interpret the law as they wish to. Udon Thani immigration does not require a TM 30 from people who are staying in their own house or the house of their wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband etc.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2017, 6:12 am

stattointhailand wrote:

No it isn't, the law is clear. It is the hotel who is required to report your presence, that they don't bother is thier problem or choice.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 8, 2017, 6:42 am

Because the GF has not , or does not notify Imm of my living in our house, I used photocopies of her ID, signed by her, and hand these to Bangkok Airport Immigration upon arrival, and they have been ok with that, and then I head to a hotel in Udon for afew days, where the hotel has to do its thing, and then I head up home..No reporting until visa time.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 8, 2017, 7:43 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 8, 2017, 6:12 am
stattointhailand wrote:

No it isn't, the law is clear. It is the hotel who is required to report your presence, that they don't bother is thier problem or choice.
Do not agree stw, it was explained to me that the hotel has to report IF YOU BOOK THE ROOM, if your better half books it, the hotel has no responsibility, as technically they do not know if her guest is Thai/Farang/from Mars, or indeed if she has anyone staying in the room with her (Joiner etc)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2017, 7:14 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 8, 2017, 7:43 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 8, 2017, 6:12 am
stattointhailand wrote:

Do not agree stw, it was explained to me that the hotel has to report IF YOU BOOK THE ROOM, if your better half books it, the hotel has no responsibility, as technically they do not know if her guest is Thai/Farang/from Mars, or indeed if she has anyone staying in the room with her (Joiner etc)
Whoever explained the law did not understand it.

It reads
House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national.
So it is by law the responsibility of the manager to know the all the guests and report if needed.

However we all know that most don't bother, but that doesn't change the law.

Trying to give all the various incorrect interpretations of Thai law would fill many books and the fact that officials may give thier own different rules is one of the "joys" of the land of smiles.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”