TV Antennas/Satellite Dish

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

TV Antennas/Satellite Dish

Post by Balthasar G. » January 2, 2018, 11:57 am

During the recent bad weather my parents-in-law’s bamboo pole TV antenna was blown down and damaged and since then has stopped working properly. Now I want to buy them another one.

I saw the small digital ones in the electronic stores and Tesco/Big C but I’ve been told that performance of these leaves much to be desired.

I haven’t been able to find out where I can buy the big antennas like the old ones they now have. Are they still sold and, if so, does anyone know where to get them?

Another option that I’ve also been considering is to buy them a satellite dish. As they both still work they only watch some news programmes and lakhorns in the evening so they only require the main Thai stations, nothing fancy. I tried to find out the price of the dish, including set top box and installation, but the only shop that I know (PSI near the old Tesco) is closed for holidays at the moment. Is there another shop in Udon that sells and installs them so I can compare prices?

I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: TV Antennas/Satellite Dish

Post by BobHelm » January 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

There is a shop, just about where I have marked, that deals just in satellites.
I have never used so can't comment on quality or pricing.
Not sure if it will be open today as many of the small businesses seem to be on holiday today too.
shop 1.png
Click to enlarge

gghh
udonmap.com

Post by gghh » January 2, 2018, 12:24 pm

BobHelm wrote:There is a shop, just about where I have marked, that deals just in satellites.
I have never used so can't comment on quality or pricing.
Not sure if it will be open today as many of the small businesses seem to be on holiday today too.
shop 1.png
Before Boonthaworn on same side is a shop. My dish and receiver was 2.500 there

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 2, 2018, 12:47 pm

Small Thai place on the Nong Khai Rd just past the Nong Samrong turning heading North. Went there when Home Cable lost many of its progs 4 or 5 yrs ago. Less than 2 hrs later he had a system installed and working at my house. A little English spoken but best to have Thai speaker with you. Several dishes of various sizes displayed making place easy to spot :lol:

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » January 2, 2018, 1:06 pm

I recently had a Thai channel only, some 100 channels in all, PSI sat system installed for the wife, a local shop supplied and installed the dish and decoder, there was an existing cable that I rerouted and the engineer connected it in the attic, total cost 1,150bht. The system is called PSI OK X. If that helps.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 2, 2018, 2:19 pm

you can compare prices here http://www.9sats.com/product/product.php?cat=47&
sat dishes are losing interest due to the great amount of internet offers...
if it is for the pienongs a dish from 5.5ft will do (otherwise i would opt for 1.90m dish for best reception no matter the weather)... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Kilo 14 on the Udon-Nongwahsaw hwy, Khun Apichai (อภิชัย) phone 082 835 9621 installed a system for us and a handicapped man just up the road from us recently. For PSI, the big dishes are dinosaurs....the new dish a fraction of the size/weight. Well under 2000 baht for installation, dish, and control box with remote.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 2, 2018, 2:30 pm

I had a CTH satellite system a few years back. I think they have since gone out of business.
I still have the satellite dish -on the house- and two controllers. If anyone can use them I will gladly give them away.
You would have to remove the dish from the roof.

Maybe someone can figure out how to make them work. PM me if interested

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » January 2, 2018, 9:52 pm

Thanks for your input, guys. I’ve only been able to meet the installer that Bob mentioned. He doesn’t speak English and as my LHT was unable to deal with the technical jargon involved we left none the wiser.

The old folks have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom. They will only be watching one television at the same time. My wife explained this to him and asked him if he would be able to connect the TVs with a splitter. I’ve read about that possibility on the internet. However, he answered that this was not possible. We would need 2 boxes for 2 TVs. He wanted 3,500 Bht for a dish with 1 box and 4,500 Bht for a dish with 2 boxes. What kind of box exactly was unclear to me.
Chriss wrote:
January 2, 2018, 1:06 pm
I recently had a Thai channel only, some 100 channels in all, PSI sat system installed for the wife, a local shop supplied and installed the dish and decoder, there was an existing cable that I rerouted and the engineer connected it in the attic, total cost 1,150bht. The system is called PSI OK X. If that helps.
That sounds good. What is the location of this shop?
kopkei wrote:
January 2, 2018, 2:19 pm
you can compare prices here http://www.9sats.com/product/product.php?cat=47&
I looked at this link and must say that I find it all a bit overwhelming. I’m a Sat dummy and don’t know why the price of one box is more than twice the price of the other. All the information being in Thai doesn’t make it easier either. :(

Charlieb, I woud think that the CTB boxes were calibrated for the specific frequencies that CTB used but I’ll put it to the other installers mention here. I’m going to visit them tomorrow. If the systems can be doctored I’ll get back to you by PM.

I hope I’ll be more successful tomorrow.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 2, 2018, 10:29 pm

parrot wrote:
January 2, 2018, 2:26 pm
Kilo 14 on the Udon-Nongwahsaw hwy, Khun Apichai (อภิชัย) phone 082 835 9621 installed a system for us and a handicapped man just up the road from us recently. For PSI, the big dishes are dinosaurs....the new dish a fraction of the size/weight. Well under 2000 baht for installation, dish, and control box with remote.
In November we asked the PSI guy over to check out our system. He replaced the box (that connects to the TV). He also installed a new PSI dish (the newer, smaller version) and a remote for an individual up the road from us. Total cost 2800 Baht.

3500 for a dish and a box sounds too high.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » January 2, 2018, 11:06 pm

Thanks. We'd already planned to get into touch with your guy too tomorrow.
I presume that with your box you can receive all the mayor Thai channels for free. Right?

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » January 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

parrot wrote:
January 2, 2018, 10:29 pm
parrot wrote:
January 2, 2018, 2:26 pm
In November we asked the PSI guy over to check out our system. He replaced the box (that connects to the TV). He also installed a new PSI dish (the newer, smaller version) and a remote for an individual up the road from us. Total cost 2800 Baht.

3500 for a dish and a box sounds too high.
We just had a PSI Ku Band Satellite dish installed for our nephew and the Dish, LNB, HDMI Receiver and installation total for everything was aprox 1500 baht. Shop around
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Return to “House & Land”